Why become a member? ×

God I Love Punk

[quote name='RussFM' post='231557' date='Jul 2 2008, 08:11 PM']Can't remember his name, but the guy from Bouncing Souls is pretty good. Always like Rise Against's basslines too.[/quote]

Agreed Chris from Anti-Flag is an awesome bassist too.

But i think we can all agree that Matt Freeman is the best bassist in Punk.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='231246' date='Jul 2 2008, 12:31 PM']I don't really listen to punk these days although I loved the Stranglers and the Clash when I was a kid.
The bass player with Frank Zappa for the latter years of his bands is what I can only describs as a punk bassist. Absolutely superb bass player massively energetic and very musical. If you haven't heard him check him out.[/quote]

You talking about this guy Jake?

[url="http://www.cidanka.nl/keneally/stbp0397.htm"]http://www.cidanka.nl/keneally/stbp0397.htm[/url]

[quote name='simondee' post='231587' date='Jul 2 2008, 09:15 PM']+1

A Wilhelm Scream FTW. Behold:

[url="http://vimeo.com/629705"]http://vimeo.com/629705[/url]

not seen many other punk/hxc bassists come anywhere near this guy in skillz. and he plays with his fingers too which is raaare for punk rock![/quote]

+1! The best punk band I've seen live, and his (Brian Robinson) basslines on the whole of 'Career Suicide' are insane, especially the short solo in the middle of 'Jaws 3, People 0'

[quote name='simondee' post='231587' date='Jul 2 2008, 09:15 PM']+1

A Wilhelm Scream FTW. Behold:

[url="http://vimeo.com/629705"]http://vimeo.com/629705[/url]

not seen many other punk/hxc bassists come anywhere near this guy in skillz. and he plays with his fingers too which is raaare for punk rock![/quote]

He is good but i really don't like the music.

[quote name='RussFM' post='231557' date='Jul 2 2008, 08:11 PM']Can't remember his name, but the guy from Bouncing Souls is pretty good. Always like Rise Against's basslines too.[/quote]

Brian Kienlen is his name, he's a great bass player and a really friendly dude, I've had the pleasure of interviewing the 'Souls.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='231562' date='Jul 2 2008, 08:17 PM']Agreed Chris from Anti-Flag is an awesome bassist too.

But i think we can all agree that Matt Freeman is the best bassist in Punk.[/quote]

I know people who've played with Anti-Flag. They're a great band but they're massive c*nts apparently.

And I'm going to disagree with Matt Freeman being the best bassist in punk. He's tremendously talented, but best bass player award goes to Daryll Jennifer of Bad Brains I reckon.

Bit of self-censorship there, apparently the plural of the C-word slips through the swear net.

Edited by jono b

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='231562' date='Jul 2 2008, 08:17 PM']But i think we can all agree that Matt Freeman is the best bassist in Punk.[/quote]

+1 (excluding me, obviously :) )

[quote name='Oscar South' post='231650' date='Jul 2 2008, 10:51 PM']Jean-Jacques Burnel isn't too shoddy.[/quote]

+1, and paul simonon is great.

matt freeman's better though.

Edited by lwtait

I am suprised nobody has put a shout in for Glen Matlock and he is still playing either with the Pistols on their "silly" tours...( I am a huge Pistols Fan but come on guys give it a rest) or Slinky Vagabond.
Sid Vicious ruined the Pistols and I remember hating the guy in my teens.
And then theres always Bruce Foxton one of my earliest influences.

Punk is alive and well in Sunny Chorley and my "local" The Railway has its summer music festival on Saturday the 5th July with a mix of cover, rock and punk bands ,I can recommend it for anyone in the area as a good afternoon / night out.
My mates lad is a bassist / vocalist with (don't quote me on this) Three Blind Dwarfs I think ???? and his main influence is Paul Simonon.

Brian from A Wilhelm Scream is awesome. He plays mad bass lines and still nails al those vocal harmonies too. I think the Joe Raposo from Rich Kids on LSD is once of my favourite punk bass players. All time favourite would have to be Karl Alvarez from The Descendents.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Matty' post='286001' date='Sep 17 2008, 03:58 PM']I once auditioned for a punk band.
Upon asking them what sort of bass style they were hoping for, thinking maybe JJ or Simonian the singer said:
"Basic stuff really, simple like Matt Freeman..."[/quote]

....simple!

:)

Edited by Waldo

[quote name='mcgraham' post='286028' date='Sep 17 2008, 04:34 PM']I finally got to hear the famous Maxwell Murder solo earlier this week. For the longest time I incorrectly assumed it'd be quite bland/dull. I stand totally corrected. I see [i]entirely[/i] why it's raved about so much. Cos it's great!

Mark[/quote]

Have you seen the video of the extended live version at the very start of this thread?

Simply astonishing.

I remember I went to see them when that album came out. I wasn't a fan particularly, I just went to see any band that came within range, but anyway yeah me and my girlfriend went along to see Rancid and the venue was full of 13-year-olds with their parents. So we left again. I think we ended up catching G Love & Special Sauce at a place just down the street so it wasn't so bad. :)