Why become a member? ×

Mundane plodding.

xgsjx

[quote name='achknalligewelt' timestamp='1389954745' post='2339834']
I also very rarely venture much further up the neck than the 12th fret. There is no reason for bass soloing. That's just ridiculous.
[/quote]

Some band leaders would tell you off or even fine you for going above the 5th or 7th fret!! I once got told off for going up to the 20th fret on the G string - I protested that, as many bass players know, the bass part on Sir Duke does exactly that - to no avail because the band leader had some preconceived view rooted in 60s pop that the bass plods along down in the first four frets on everything and anyone doing anything other than that is being overly flash and too busy - well as long as they pay you well you can humour such idiocy but it does get wearing at times. Thankfully I don't have to work with such people unless I choose to!!

I've thought through a fair bit of our band's current set list and there are definitely a few plodder lines there, however some are fun, and some are dull, in particular I find Rocking in the free world particularly boring while sharp dressed man is fine. I must admit though, that my favourite ones in the set are the proper bass grooves- Play that funky music is a simple enough, but a great groove which the drummer and I play around with a bit

They can be fun & there's a lot of ways to play a straight 8, but what if every song in your set list was so simple to play that there was no challenge (that's regardless of your ability)?
Don't you think by the end of the set you'd be plodding rather than playing?

In my last band we did a folk cover of Rocking in the free world. I enjoyed it, but I never listened to the original song & made a bassline to go with the vocals & the mandolin.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1390338567' post='2344306']
They can be fun & there's a lot of ways to play a straight 8, but what if every song in your set list was so simple to play that there was no challenge (that's regardless of your ability)?
Don't you think by the end of the set you'd be plodding rather than playing?

[/quote]

But, as I posted further up thread, not even ZZTop, Stereophonics, Muse, Status Quo, Rush, U2 etc, have setlists entirely of songs with straight 8 bass lines.

Is Rocking in the Free World straight 8s? I've certainly heard some bass players murder it by plodding. I'm sure I don't play straight 8 roots.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1390342518' post='2344402']
But, as I posted further up thread, not even ZZTop, Stereophonics, Muse, Status Quo, Rush, U2 etc, have setlists entirely of songs with straight 8 bass lines.

Is Rocking in the Free World straight 8s? I've certainly heard some bass players murder it by plodding. I'm sure I don't play straight 8 roots.
[/quote]

I'd never said that they're all straight 8 basslines, it's bands that have the poor bassist as a filler & provide a simple bassline that sits in & doesn't do much else. Fine if you're getting paid to provide those basslines, but to play them all night for a beer?

Another fine example is a band that I really like, REM. Poor Mr Mills is a great bassist, but how many of us on here have you heard say they want to play just like him?
Duck Dunn & Pino Palladino are 2 examples of bassists that have provided basslines that are just what the song requires. Do they plod?

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1390343953' post='2344434']Another fine example is a band that I really like, REM. Poor Mr Mills is a great bassist, but how many of us on here have you heard say they want to play just like him?[/quote]

Always loved this bassline:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hajTNk_6-XE

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1390343953' post='2344434']

I'd never said that they're all straight 8 basslines, it's bands that have the poor bassist as a filler & provide a simple bassline that sits in & doesn't do much else. Fine if you're getting paid to provide those basslines, but to play them all night for a beer?

Another fine example is a band that I really like, REM. Poor Mr Mills is a great bassist, but how many of us on here have you heard say they want to play just like him?
Duck Dunn & Pino Palladino are 2 examples of bassists that have provided basslines that are just what the song requires. Do they plod?
[/quote]

I've played REM's Losing My Religion that's not particularly 'ploddy', it moves quite a bit.

The problem is the more instruments you add the simpler the arrangement tends to be to avoid treading on each other's lines. If the bass is going to wander off and do something interesting it has to fit wig what others are playing (harmony, counter part, unison etc) and some other instrument needs to be solid if the bass isn't taking a traditional approach.

We've all heard bands where everyone seems to be playing a different song.

Duck Dunn will more often than not have strong rhythm guitar somewhere.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1390344983' post='2344456']
See, he can play. Why not have more good basslines? Adam Clayton has more good basslines than he does! :o
[/quote]

You don't think he writes his own lines?

That's what I would call plodding but then the drummer and guitarist are plodding too. The whole song is a standard rock song.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1390344902' post='2344453']
I've played REM's Losing My Religion that's not particularly 'ploddy', it moves quite a bit.

The problem is the more instruments you add the simpler the arrangement tends to be to avoid treading on each other's lines. If the bass is going to wander off and do something interesting it has to fit wig what others are playing (harmony, counter part, unison etc) and some other instrument needs to be solid if the bass isn't taking a traditional approach.

We've all heard bands where everyone seems to be playing a different song.

Duck Dunn will more often than not have strong rhythm guitar somewhere.
[/quote]
I agree with you. It's about fitting in, but there's plenty of songs you & I could name that have an interesting bassline & several instruments.
Listen to almost any album by The Beatles, Michael Jackson, RHCP, Frank Sinatra, Jamiroquai or Bill Withers to hear a great variety of basslines, from simple grooves to "I need more practice" basslines all on the one disc.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1390345660' post='2344466']
You don't think he writes his own lines?

That's what I would call plodding but then the drummer and guitarist are plodding too. The whole song is a standard rock song.
[/quote]
He probably does write his own lines & yes, I think the guitarist & drummer must get bored too after a while. I do when I play guitar & the set is strumming chords constantly. I'd long for a song where it stays in the one chord & I have to make it work with the strumming technique.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1390345715' post='2344468']
I agree with you. It's about fitting in, but there's plenty of songs you & I could name that have an interesting bassline & several instruments.
Listen to almost any album by The Beatles, Michael Jackson, RHCP, Frank Sinatra, Jamiroquai or Bill Withers to hear a great variety of basslines, from simple grooves to "I need more practice" basslines all on the one disc.
[/quote]

I've seen plenty of bassists who can play fast and do clever stuff but who can't get a simple groove actually grooving. I really do believe it's harder to play slowly and simply and make it groove, than it is to play fast or complex lines and use tricky techniques. Not that you can't do both of course.

Interesting experience tonight. Had a morris dance practice and usually I play quite melodic lines. As I have left hand issues at the moment I had to dial that right back and played simple root/fifths and simpler progressions, concentrating on the dancers rather than trying to be clever. The result was that it was commented on how much stronger the bass was tonight and how much more lift it provided. There in lies a lesson for me.

Steve

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1390346860' post='2344485']
Interesting experience tonight. Had a morris dance practice and usually I play quite melodic lines. As I have left hand issues at the moment I had to dial that right back and played simple root/fifths and simpler progressions, concentrating on the dancers rather than trying to be clever. The result was that it was commented on how much stronger the bass was tonight and how much more lift it provided. There in lies a lesson for me.

Steve
[/quote]

That's a great lesson :)

Steve
[/quote]

Interesting! What side are you with? Might have seen you at Towersey last year :)

Steve
[/quote]

Given away by your location a bit, but I did a bit of melodeoning for your team at a festival in Lincoln a couple of years ago, I'm guessing you may know my batty parents.

[quote name='CHW' timestamp='1390416951' post='2345276']
Given away by your location a bit, but I did a bit of melodeoning for your team at a festival in Lincoln a couple of years ago, I'm guessing you may know my batty parents.
[/quote]

Quite possibly :) There seems to be a hell of a lot of melodeon players round here!

Steve

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1390421741' post='2345344']
Quite possibly :) There seems to be a hell of a lot of melodeon players round here!

Steve
[/quote]

I'll be sure to say hello next time I see your side out and about.-I've just checked out the website and a few videos of that festival in Lincoln are still up- Me and my folks still in evidence in a few

Edited by CHW