Why become a member? ×

2x12 vs 2x1x12

essexbasscat

Some cabs may be voiced differently but I guess most would be pretty similar in a band situation.

I prefer 2 x 112 cabs for the lighter carry (my back isn't good), the flexibility (I want to use 1 cab on occasion) and it's easier to fit them into the boot of the car.

Having said that I'm using a Bergantino CN212 at the moment, which I find pretty heavy but sounds too good to leave at home. I'd be onto 2 CN112 cabs in a flash if they came up for sale.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1389738602' post='2337490']
Not if the configuration is identical save for the panels separating the two drivers.
[/quote]

Isn't a single larger cab inherently more efficient at lower frequencies ?.

Berg 2x12 vs 2x 1x12:

I was able to A/B mine at the weekend with full range music from my ipod so I feel I can probably give you my experience with reasonable confidence.

My 212 had tweeter set flat

My 112s had one tweeter flat (top cab) and one tweeter off (bottom cab)

So both speaker configs are the same with 2x 12" cones and 1 tweeter. Both are 4ohm configs and both were being run from identical power amps.

The difference in volume was imperceptible if any.

The 212 appeared to have less low end and high end than the 2x112, but I think it produced a more balanced full range tone where as the 2x112 gives a slightly mid scooped sound (hence seeming to deliver more high and low end).

It really is down to personal preference as it comes down to what you like.

I find the 2x112s are easier to transport. One cab in each hand means I can put one down to open doors. Either way I can carry bass, head and cab(s) in one trip unless I take all of the rig!

After having a good listen this weekend I can definitely confirm than my prefered tone is bass - shuttlemax 12.2 - (power amp A) HD212 (power amp B) 2x HD112

Hope this helps.