Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fender Geddy Lee jazz vs American Deluxe jazz

Guinness21

Could do with some help :)

I'm in the market for a second bass. I'm getting a scholarship at the end of the month which means my budget can just about stretch to an american deluxe jazz. There are other contenders - a 2eq stingray and an am. standard precision, but the jazzes are the front runners.

I've only been playing for about 18 months, and whilst I have quite an eclectic taste in music, never really listened to any Rush. I've heard Geddy's name on here and tb a lot, but only recently thought to look up his signature bass. With a badass bridge, I think american vintage pickups (?) and it's looks, it has to be considered.

I know the deluxe has active capabilities, but is it really worth the extra £££'s? Any help, or experience of either of these basses, would be much appreciated :happy:

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1389737092' post='2337448']
Could do with some help :)

I'm in the market for a second bass. I'm getting a scholarship at the end of the month which means my budget can just about stretch to an american deluxe jazz. There are other contenders - a 2eq stingray and an am. standard precision, but the jazzes are the front runners.

I've only been playing for about 18 months, and whilst I have quite an eclectic taste in music, never really listened to any Rush. I've heard Geddy's name on here and tb a lot, but only recently thought to look up his signature bass. With a badass bridge, I think american vintage pickups (?) and it's looks, it has to be considered.

I know the deluxe has active capabilities, but is it really worth the extra £££'s? Any help, or experience of either of these basses, would be much appreciated :happy:
[/quote]

I have a Geddy Lee jazz. Pickups are great (quite growly and aggressive but I like that!), the neck binding and blocks are lovely features, the bad ass bridge is a nice addition and the neck profile is uniquely slim/thin (which is usually the dividing factor between those of us who rate/hate this model)...

Pros (as far as I'm concerned): Pickups being aggressive give me something different to choose from, bad ass bridge is nice, aesthetically kicks the butt off a US standard/deluxe and the neck profile feels amazing IMO.

Cons (as far as I'm concerned): No hardcase, slightly less versatile due to aggressive pickups and much lower second hand value than US standard/deluxe models.

Hope that helps :-)

A Geddy Lee with a John East J retro pre amp fitted, would knock spots off a Fender Deluxe. Search for John East retro pre amps on basschat and you'll see what I mean (they get a lot of love).
But be aware the Geddy neck is ultra slim and doesn't have the graphite rods the deluxe does, so tends to need truss rod adjustment regularly if you like a low action.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1389738383' post='2337483']
A Geddy Lee with a John East J retro pre amp fitted, would knock spots off a Fender Deluxe. Search for John East retro pre amps on basschat and you'll see what I mean (they get a lot of love).
But be aware the Geddy neck is ultra slim and doesn't have the graphite rods the deluxe does, so tends to need truss rod adjustment regularly if you like a low action.
[/quote]

I prefer a very low action and I haven't adjusted the truss rod on my Geddy for a LONG time. Even after changing strings, it's pretty secure and only needs minor adjustment at the bridge so I have to disagree with that based on my experience with mine I'm afraid!

If I went for the geddy lee, I would put new tuners on it, possibly swap the knobs for chrome barrels, get a hard case, and if I went for the black one I would have to put a black pickguard on there. Doing all that would raise the price to not far off the am. deluxe. With finances not being a factor, does that chance anything? With the new pickguard, it would essentiallly look like the am. deluxe, but black ad oppose to natural, so calling it on looks is a toughie. So I think it comes down to the pickups and the neck.

I had a US Deluxe Jazz last year for a bit, and it was easily the most versatile bass I`ve ever had - wasted on me really. It could go from 90% Precision to Flea on Alanis Morisette, to funky Wham Club Tropicana tones all with the on-board actives. Played great as well - it was the model before the current version, so didn`t have the passive/active feature. Not played a Geddy so can`t comment on them.

Thanks Lozz196 :) Well with the addition of the passive/active switch it can only be more versatile. I know skej21 said the pickups are aggressive, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Isn't it true that precisions are the better for using distortion with, because of the thumpy sound? Well I'd be using a fuzz & overdrive on whichever bass I get. So that could well be a good thing.

Try to play both before deciding. The necks are very different! Personally I love the Geddy necks, but lots of people don't!

If you want a black pg for your Geddy (if you get one!) then The Bass Doc on here will make you one up - he still has my old white one as a template! :)

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1389742184' post='2337559']
Thanks Lozz196 :) Well with the addition of the passive/active switch it can only be more versatile. I know skej21 said the pickups are aggressive, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Isn't it true that precisions are the better for using distortion with, because of the thumpy sound? Well I'd be using a fuzz & overdrive on whichever bass I get. So that could well be a good thing.
[/quote]

I don`t know about Precisions necessarily being better for distortion, as better is in the ears of the user, but the frequency range of a Precision does sit nicely distorted without getting too much in the way. I just did a recording with my Precision using a fair amount of gain for the first time, and it`s amazing that in the mix you wouldn`t tell that there was any gain at all, yet once soloed you can hear it very well.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1389739176' post='2337504']
If I went for the geddy lee, I would put new tuners on it[/quote]

No need IMO. The standard ones are fine. You could change them if you wished to of course, but it wouldn't be a necessity. They work fine and look fine.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1389742184' post='2337559']Well with the addition of the passive/active switch it can only be more versatile.[/quote]

Again, not necessarily! Fender active circuits are known for being rather average (at best), which is why so many people swap them out and replace them with East, Aguilar or something similar.

In many ways the best sound you will get from a Jazz is when it is in passive mode. (IMO of course!).

To be honest, Mark Stoermer in The Killers gets by with a standard Geddy so I'd just get one of those and save your pennies, if it were me. Geddy himself also makes do with a passive Jazz to a simiiar design to the sig so its probably good enough on its own ?

TBH, if you aren't sure which one to go for... head out to your nearest musical instrument emporium that has any of these guitars in stock, park your poverbial and give them all a try. The best feeling/playing/sounding one wins and gets to go home with you.

Quite a number of years back, I did exactly the same and lined up 5 or 6 basses that appealed, then another 2 or 3 that were in the right price bracket, and bas(s)ically sat in the music shop for a couple of hours trying them all out. Nedless to say, the couple that were my "front runners" quickly fell by the wayside, a few more kept getting added to the trial selection, but the one I walked out of the shop with, only joined the trial because it was in the right price bracket, but it sounded and felt the best for me at that time. It was a Fender Mex Jazz.

Done it with quite a few guitars over the years, especially with acoustics. You really cannot beat going into a shop and actually trying guitars out. If none of the ones you try float your boat, you're free to walk away, but you also have a better idea of what fits you and what doesn't.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1389788289' post='2337848']give them all a try. The best feeling/playing/sounding one wins and gets to go home with you. You really cannot beat going into a shop and actually trying guitars out. If none of the ones you try float your boat, you're free to walk away, but you also have a better idea of what fits you and what doesn't.
[/quote]

Good advice. :)

Talking about which bass you [i]think[/i] you'll prefer based on the preferences of others is rather pointless and often leads to disappointment.

To my knowledge, not many people have had problems with the necks on Geddy Lee sig models - but plenty of people just don't like the profile.

On the other hand, many others (myself included) count them among the best necks they have ever played.

YMMV of course! :D

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1389787410' post='2337835']
I know some people say yes and some say no to having issues with the neck on the geddy, but the fact that a fair few people have isn't fantastic. Can find no complaints about the am. deluxe's neck.
[/quote]

The Am Deluxe is just what it says on the tin - a pretty standard (but nicely specced) J bass. The Geddy is something a bit different.

Whether different = good depends on the person involved.

Sounds like you have already decided on the Am Del. Good bass - hope you enjoy it! B)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1389789655' post='2337869']
I looked up the geddy and found that it had a great bridge and pickups, so it had to be considered.
[/quote]

The bridge is a standard BadAss II, which is regarded as an upgrade on the Fender BBOT (Bent Bit Of Tin!). The pickups are nothing special really, but a bit growly as others have said.

What sets the Geddy apart from all other J basses (IMO) is the neck profile. It is very shallow (front to back). To me that makes it very "fast" and comfortable, but to others it is "flimsy and skinny".

Horses for courses! But I would definitely advise you to try one before deciding B)

I had a MIJ Geddy Jazz and it was great, but quite heavy - so you should really try to get to play one rather than buy unseen as I hear the weight varies quite a bit. It had the best neck ever! But if you don't like slim (front to back) then you may disagree. All the necks I have ever had have been gloss finish, I don't find it an issue. There are regular negative comments about the tuners and the stock pickups but I didn't find either of those an issue on mine. They are now made in Mexico, but apparently Mexico made Fenders are very good these days. I have not owned another jazz to compare it to, although I was paying a Custom Shop 1964 Jazz the other day and that really did sound great. But the Geddy is long gone so I can't remember what it sounded like in comparison.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1389792334' post='2337926']
I had a MIJ Geddy Jazz and it had the best neck ever! But if you don't like slim (front to back) then you may disagree. All the necks I have ever had have been gloss finish, I don't find it an issue. [/quote]

I thought the neck finish was beautiful. Smooth and slick and definitely not as "glossy" as many other Fenders I've played and owned (including my MIJ Marcus Miller), which can feel a bit "draggy" if you know what I mean. I loved everything about the neck on my CIJ Geddy, and from what I have read the MIJ ones are just as good! :)

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1389792777' post='2337934']
I didn't know the geddy lee is made in mexico these days. Tbh, with the pickups in the deluxe and the graphite truss rod I'm thinking I might go for the american deluxe jazz.
[/quote]

Fair enough mate - but you did ask for help/advice! :rolleyes:

The US deluxe is over twice the price of the Geddy, which does imply higher quality. Whether it is more than twice as good is open to conjecture and discussion...

One thing I do know though. If I was spending that sort of money on a new bass, I would make sure I tried it (and its competitors) in the flesh first. Fenders are notorious for their variability, so even though I loved my Geddy Lee I might play others that I don't get on with so well. It's the nature of the beast I'm afraid. :(

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1389791047' post='2337896']
I though the pickups in the geddy were american vintage, they're surely not run of the mill! [/quote]

What makes you say that? To what are you comparing them? :)

Edited by Conan

It's a bit weird that you comment on your own comments - just put them all in to one big one. I HAVE played the am. deluxe, and it looks like I'm not going to bother with the geddy anyway - according to you the only thing unique/special about it is he neck profile, right? Well if the american deluxe jazz bass has great pickups, an active/passive switch and a real nice sating finish on the neck, then it is worth twice the price to me.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1389800094' post='2338046']
It's a bit weird that you comment on your own comments - just put them all in to one big one.[/quote]

I take it that comment was aimed at me. <_< I wasn't commenting on my own comments, simply replying to a number of other comments (yours included) in some sort of random order...

I tend to think of these thread discussions as being like a conversation face to face. I think it makes for a better conversation if the participants make a series of shorter comments rather than a single, trailing monologue. You clearly disagree. That's cool.

You asked for advice about two specific basses. We tried to give you that. You've made your mind up and decided to go for one of them. That's cool as well.

Sounds like a pretty successful thread to me! :)

BTW, I never said that you hadn't played the US Deluxe - I was just advising you to play both/all of the basses you were considering.

You seem to be cherry-picking at the advice you have been given. We are only trying to help - as you said yourself that you haven't been playing long.

Whatever. It's your money. :gas: