Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky Metro to relic or not to relic?

JazzBassfreak

Hey guys, I've really been digging the "worn in" look on a lot of basses I've been oggling recently. I know there is a lot of hate for the fake relic finishes, I am only one of those haters if the relic is done carelessly and badly.

Obviously Sadowsky basses are high end instruments and have a nitro finish, If I have it done I want the job done properly and my bass respected the way it deserves.....I don't want the bass just looking like a wreck, I'm looking for slight wear on the contours and a neat smooth finish :)

I'm just wondering if there are any luthiers in the Staffordshire area UK that could help me? Advice and opinions from you guys would be very much appreciated :)

Peace!

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1389138168' post='2330660']
....If I have it done I want the job done properly and my bass respected the way it deserves.....I don't want the bass just looking like a wreck, I'm looking for slight wear on the contours and a neat smooth finish....
[/quote]

So, how much do you want to knock off the value of your bass?

[quote name='Legion' timestamp='1389176460' post='2330819']
The necks are a nitro finish, I'm not so sure the bodies are. No suggestions as to who could relic it for you sorry.
[/quote]

The neck on mine was sanded smooth years back due to an idiot at a gig denting it. The bodies are nitro mate assured :)

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1389187086' post='2331015']

This.
Every ding and scratch tells a story and contributes to the instrument's mojo.. 'relic' the bass as you go on.
[/quote]

Rather a nice post Man. Your right every ding does tell a story. I just want to sorta speed up the aging without hurting it too much

Edited by JazzBassfreak

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1389546901' post='2335353']
[url="http://www.guitarangel.co.uk/servicesDetail.php?Relic-work-10"]http://www.guitarang...p?Relic-work-10[/url]

The OP doesn't want opinions on whether or not to relic!
He seems to have made that decision already. :)
[/quote]

I dont know man! I don't necessarily want the fake relic'd look I just want it sorta worn in, to me it still feels brand new and I've had the bass years and play it EXCESSIVELY. I'd like to have a couple of worn patches where I rub the most on the contours etc, but it's still a running debate in my head whether to have anything done, that's why I was after some opinions from you guys! :)

The neck on a Metro is a thin nitro - it will age fairly quickly and gracefully with normal use. Play a lot (nice bass!) and it will age quicker.

The body has a fairly thick and very tough polyester. I wouldn't even try and age it. Its a very durable finish, and won't take to the usual relic treatments well, in fact I recall Sadowsky saying they wouldn't even try to strip and refinish one of their bodies. Its that tough.

Play it, play it…then play it some more.

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1389555434' post='2335507']
The neck on a Metro is a thin nitro - it will age fairly quickly and gracefully with normal use. Play a lot (nice bass!) and it will age quicker.

The body has a fairly thick and very tough polyester. I wouldn't even try and age it. Its a very durable finish, and won't take to the usual relic treatments well, in fact I recall Sadowsky saying they wouldn't even try to strip and refinish one of their bodies. Its that tough.

Play it, play it…then play it some more.
[/quote]

I sanded the neck a while back man, couldn't deal with the stickyness and such. Are you sure the metros are poly? I could swear they were nitro, feels a lot smoother than my other poly basses.

Try some diluted oil (tung or danish), or warwick wax on the back of the neck if its down to bare wood. Seals it so it doesn't get so dirty, and gives a pretty smooth feel.

Pretty sure the body on my PJ Metro was poly..but very very well done and buffed out. Have a look on the Sadowsky site - there is a forum there which could be useful?

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1389556268' post='2335533']
Try some diluted oil (tung or danish), or warwick wax on the back of the neck if its down to bare wood. Seals it so it doesn't get so dirty, and gives a pretty smooth feel.

Pretty sure the body on my PJ Metro was poly..but very very well done and buffed out. Have a look on the Sadowsky site - there is a forum there which could be useful?
[/quote]

Ah cheers man! I'll take a look see. Yeah I use warwick beeswax for the neck. Or sometimes Danish/linseed oil. The beeswax is useful to have It's good stuff!