Why become a member? ×

pain in wrists after playing

sprocketflup

Im not getting any younger, but just lately I can tell if Ive played my bass the previous day as I get pain in my right (plucking) wrist a couple of inches up from the 'crease' and my fretting hand just hurts all over.

Its really started worrying me of late, it started in November and I thought id just overdone it a bit, but it hasnt gone away like i hoped it would. Ive tried varying my strap height but that doesnt seem to have made any difference.

Any tips on how to deal with this?

cheers

I remember, after a break where I played no bass for about a year, I started getting cramps in my hands. I put it down to lack of muscle strength due to inactivity. So I bought some hand grip muscle strengtheners and used those for a while. It seemed to help.

Then about 10 years later I got carpal tunnel problems in my wrists. Which causes pins and needles, with numbness in the hands after playing bass for any period of time. Lengthening my strap helped, so that I keep my right wrist straight. Eventually I had to have an operation which solved the problem in my left hand. If the problem in my right hand gets any worse I'll have the operation on that one too.

Edited by gjones

Strings probably won't make a difference unless your bass is set up really high. Still it won't benefit your plucking hand.

Keep your wrists as straight as possible. Pay particular attention to flexing your wrist perpendicular to the joint (tilting your hand as if wiping something) - that leaves little room for your tendons to operate in your wrist and can cause inflammation. Also if you use a computer mouse at work, think about trying an alternative pointing device like a multi-touch pad.

If I were you I would avoid playing until you've seen your GP. And be prepared to take a long time off playing to let your wrists recover.

In all honesty, ive found accupuncture the best treatment for any hand and arm problems. Ive had quite a few over the years and everytime it works. People are sceptical but I can only go from my experience, my GP used me as a guinea pig when he'd been on a course. Well worth a try. Anti inflammatories aint good for ya!

all of the above - but warm up your joints as well before playing with exercises, heat pads or just holding them under a hand dryer. Don't take a single blood test as gospel either - you'll need a few over a few months to look for RA - it sometimes doesn't reflect in CRP or ESR results for a while (not that I'm saying that's what it is ;) )

It may be a medical issue or it may be a physical one related to playing posture. If its physical have you thought of going to an Alexander Technique practitioner - a lot of us in the DB world swear by AT and I have to say it works when you consider the high potential for causing stress the body with the Double bass ( they actually teach AT at the Royal Academy as part of the syllabus in all three years of the DB degree).

This is a good book too by Randal Kertz written specifically for bassists http://www.drkertz.com/Dr._Randall_Kertz,_D.C./Home.html

and also another good resource http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f5/health-related-issues-playing-594399/

Hope you find an answer!

Edited by ubassman

Yeah, go to GP, and make sure that they do something like Tinel's or Phalen's tests ([url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ1GE4RiJLw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ1GE4RiJLw[/url]) which seem to be fairly sensitive for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, albeit not terribly specific. I would second ubassman's suggestion of Alexander Technique.
I wouldn't be terribly worried about Rheumatoid Arthritis, unless you're getting some sort of morning stiffness (in the hands, the hands....) and joint swelling, but it can be a difficult one to pin down sometimes, as BobVBass says.
But it sounds like something to do with your bass playing is giving you pain - this sounds like a technique or warm up issue, or possibly an injury, that may be causing an anatomical problem, rather than a condition of itself that is starting to cause you problems. Rest and avoidance of the thing that hurts is a good place to start, though it's hard advice to take.

• 4 months later...

Hello, thought Id revisit this thread to give an update.

I started on the cod liver oil shortly after posting, and then switched over to Glucosamine Sulphate. I haveno idea if its doing me any good, but I have managed to get rid of the pain by doing some vigorous stretching exercises once a day for a couple of weeks. I mean really going to town on the hands and wrists.

Result - pain gone and hasn't been back since. So far anyway. Unfortunately for me I wasn't able to continue with any stretches as I fell off a ladder and have messed up some bones in my hand, got some surgery coming up soon to hopefully fix that. Hasn't stopped me playing tho ;)

I hope the other posters in this thread have had some good results in sorting their problems?

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1388704497' post='2325220']
Im not getting any younger, but just lately I can tell if Ive played my bass the previous day as I get pain in my right (plucking) wrist a couple of inches up from the 'crease' and my fretting hand just hurts all over.

Its really started worrying me of late, it started in November and I thought id just overdone it a bit, but it hasnt gone away like i hoped it would. Ive tried varying my strap height but that doesnt seem to have made any difference.

Any tips on how to deal with this?

cheers
[/quote]

Maybe take a break? It could be loads of things - muscle strain,trauma, tendon...thingy. Take a break and relax. Maybe convince somebody to massage your arm? :D if it doesn't get any better, to the doctor/physiotherapist with ye!