Why become a member? ×

Gigging with a really cheap bass

cachao

There's plenty of gigs where I've thought "hmmmm do I really want to take a 1978 Fender Precision to this establishment" so the second hand Squier PJ gets plenty of outings.I've also got a £10 Aria,XRB, it's previous owner had removed the active circuitry,and replaced the P pickup with a bar pickup from a 1966 Watkins Rapier.Sounds great.

I picked up a cheap Squire PJ for peanuts 12 years ago. I didn't use it much for a couple of years. Then I took it out for a whirl and it was so much fun it's been my main gigging bass ever since. All I upgraded was the wiring, added a set of Quarter Pounders and a new scratch plate, and it kicks ass. Would you believe that I ended up selling my GB Rumour in the end 'cos it just sat around doing nothing! It just didn't have that classic P tone.

[quote name='fender73' timestamp='1389020615' post='2328853']
I gigged for years with a £70 OLP. Great bass. Agree with an earlier comment re the audience at your average gig not knowing the difference or caring about the tone etc. As much as I lust after a Fodera MGS, my Squier CV Jazz is perfect for my needs.
[/quote]

Same here. Currently gig an £80 OLP 5 string. Everyone reckons it sounds better than anything else I've ever used over here. (Fbass, Fender CS, Spector, Status) Weird, but satisfying.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1389048883' post='2329431']
. . . . . . . . . most punters haven't got a clue what a bass does, or why a band sounds crap when it's not there
[/quote]

My band sounds crap when the bass [i]is[/i] there :( :blush: :D

I've never gigged with a bass of any value- though in fairness I've never owned a bass of any value.

I had a pro drummer seek me out after a gig and comment of the decent tone of my borrowed (from my daughter) Epiphone EB-0, I've also had a lot of positive comments from other players about the sound of a cheap Wesley 5 string, which looks quite expensive from a distance, bit in reality is a bit of a tree to lug about, and a dog to play, but I too like the sound.

I started out (20+ years ago) with an Encore P, and my first half a dozen gigs would have been played on that.

I've recently treated myself to a modern player jazz bass- which is the most expensive bass I've ever owned, and am looking forward to its first gig.