Why become a member? ×

Acoustic / semi acoustic / electro acoustic opinions please

Dazed

I've been tooling about with a crafter acoustic bass which is ok.

I keep seeing jack casady basses, which I like the look of. I also quite like Epiphones Zenith basses which seem to be of a similar 'type'

Anyone able to give an experienced opinion on the 2?

From what I've read and experienced with the crafter there aren't many acoustics that are really usable (volume) unamped so is a semi acoustic as usable to practice on without an amp?

IME the majority of acoustic basses are not usable as purely acoustic instruments, and if you are buying one on which to practice, an unplugged electric bass is often as good. Many of the circuits in the cheaper acoustic basses also leave them sounding like a cheap electric bass when amplified.

Having both borrowed an acoustic bass and bought one, without putting them through an amp, unless you`re in a very small room and there`s only one other acoustic guitar, it`s very doubtful it will be heard. I`d imagine likewise with a semi-acoustic. If you like or need an acoustic type sound for small acoustic gigs, then a small practice amp is the way forward. The semi would probably be easier to cart about due to being less bulky, though acoustic basses are much lighter than their solid relatives.

I've got an Ibanez Electro-acoustic, and it's way louder than any unplugged Electric
I often rehearse along with a cd or MP3 player, and I'd never hear my unplugged bass guitars
The Ibanez though, is plenty loud

When I'm jamming along with acoustic guitarists in the house
it really depends on which guitarists I'm jamming with
Some pals play rather heavier, but one pal who does far more finger picking,
and plays much quieter - in which case I can hear my Ibanez fine

The louder guitarists are exactly the same guys who keep turning their amps up,
when we're playing live or rehearsing in the studio!

Overall, I'd say it's a tad quiet, but it's a brilliant guitar
and it wasn't expensive (just over £200)
but it sounds great through an amp,
although the E string seems a tad quieter than the others - just a tad though.....

It plays & sounds like it cost twice as much,
and I use it more than any other bass for rehearsing
Wouldn't part with it!
Hope this helps...

Happy new year anyhow
Marc

I don't agree with the old 'acoustic basses are pointless' comments. They aren't loud but when amplified have a completely different tone to an electric bass.
I'll compare three of the basses I own, a cheapy ebay acoustic, a Yamaha Bex 4 semi and any of the electrics.
The Bex 4 has a solid block through the centre on which the pickups and bridge are mounted, this makes it far more like an electric unplugged but means it doesn't feed back amplified, unplugged it is more audible than an electric but is far quieter than the acoustic. To practice unplugged I'd always go for the acoustic, but the acoustic will be feedback prone when amplified.
The acoustic, a fifty quid ebay jobby bought a long time ago but currently being sold as Swift is very good for the money. It did needed some work to the nut and bridge to bring the action down and is now strung with flats, all of which will quieten it down unplugged, is still plenty loud enough for home practice and will happily be heard with one acoustic guitar when practicing, but not loud enough for our acoustic band alongside a mandolin, acoustic guitar and cajon. It also sounds very nice considering it's price.
Volumewise unplugged the acoustic is definitely the loudest, then the semi and then the electric but on a scale of one to ten with the acoustic being ten and the electric being one I'd place the semi at two or three, it is in no way half way between the two.
Hope this helps.

Edited by Maude

I like my Harley Benton acoustic bass, sounds great and can keep up with sensibly played acoustics. I owned a fender king an too, which I'd love to buy again.
I've found it's got me work with the types who find the mere sight of an electric bass too loud. It's great for playing double bass style. I even used it on radio once, had to be mic'd though as it buzzed in the studio a bit.
They are great for just picking up to noodle on.
On New Year's Eve I was literally coat on, car packed, heading out to the gig when I spotted a text I'd missed saying could I Learn 'I feel good'. I quickly you tubed it on my iPad, grabbed my acoustic bass and learned it in the time it took the song to play, no faffing getting an amp out or cable or plugging things in.

To us they are clearly not as good in most circumstances as a solid bass, but to non bass players seeing it onstage can be a deal breaker. Worth keeping even a cheapo close by.
(Switch to electric when you've got the gig, it's easier to sell it then ;)

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1388581580' post='2323570']
I've got an Ibanez Electro-acoustic, and it's way louder than any unplugged Electric
I often rehearse along with a cd or MP3 player, and I'd never hear my unplugged bass guitars
The Ibanez though, is plenty loud

When I'm jamming along with acoustic guitarists in the house
it really depends on which guitarists I'm jamming with
Some pals play rather heavier, but one pal who does far more finger picking,
and plays much quieter - in which case I can hear my Ibanez fine
[/quote]

That sounds about right. I had a crafter that I would pick it up and noodle but its bulkier and not as nice to hold as an electric and it wasn't loud enough to play in a band situation without an amp. I played one of the Zenith Semi. I think they look great but I didn't like the feel of it. The body felt heavy and was heavily lacquered so that it felt more like composite material than mahogany. I love the vibe but the final straw for me was that you got a slightly different tone from an open string when compared to fretting. Again you would need an amp.

Thanks for all the opinions and feedback

I'm keeping the crafter as it was a cheap steal and handy to have lying around, although the initial novelty has worn off and now and I keep ignoring it. If I feel like picking something up I go for an electric. I've found I have to force myself into not going for a favourite to play by removing it from the playing room ( living room as she calls it)

I think I've talked myself into finding a jack casady.

Bloody hell, new year and already got gas!