Why become a member? ×

Probably one of the most drool-worthy basses...

allighatt0r

On G-Mail, there is a little bar above your inbox that has single line adverts, and about 20 minutes ago there was an advert for www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk, so i took a look, and found a Peavey T 40 with possibly the most beautiful finish i've ever seen:

i must get round to selling my kidney....

I'd love a T40 - in fact just a year or two ago, they could be had for around £200 - then suddenly they all dried up & Mr.Classicandcoolguitars appeared with loads for sale at £400 - £500... :) :huh:

Gorgeous basses - do keep an eye on Ebay, Gumtree & your local free ads - they still pop up at more sensible prices occasionally.

Jon.

They are fast becoming a collectable here. From time to time you can find them on ebay for usually about $250-$350 USD .
A very solid performer with huge passive pickups. However, I must warn you that they will weigh as much as the vehicle you plan to transport them in to the gig. :)

Doug

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='229712' date='Jun 30 2008, 02:03 PM']On G-Mail, there is a little bar above your inbox that has single line adverts, and about 20 minutes ago there was an advert for www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk, so i took a look, and found a Peavey T 40 with possibly the most beautiful finish i've ever seen:

i must get round to selling my kidney....[/quote]
They're very nice basses and this is a very nice example! I had a natural one which I foolishly sold 2 years ago :)

It was very heavey but the pay-off for the extra weight was that tonally it was absolutely lovely! Not sure if it's true but I read somewhere that T-40s are very popular amongst the session bass players in Nashville..

Finnbass; those two you have are 2 very beautiful basses! Do they sound the same?

This one in the US is $76 and ends tomorrow. unless bidding goes really mad it should end up reasonably cheap. but US only. :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/bass-peavey_W0QQitemZ170232920404QQihZ007QQcategoryZ159950QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.com/bass-peavey_W0QQitemZ1...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Edited by beerdragon

[quote name='finnbass' post='230103' date='Jun 30 2008, 10:01 PM']Fender headstock is only 2mm wider...

In fact, I would have said they were the same size, but your post made me go measure just to be sure :)

rjb: They are big, heavy basses and produce a big, heavy sound. Check out the T-40 forum for other opinions or Harmony Central:

[url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/product/Peavey/T-40/10/1"]http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...eavey/T-40/10/1[/url][/quote]

I meant Fender-type in terms of shape, I'm not a fan of the angled back look. Actually, a 2-a-side Gibson-type would look even cooler IMO.

[quote name='finnbass' post='232131' date='Jul 3 2008, 04:34 PM']They do now, because the black one has the proper 'blade' pups installed same as the sunburst. The 'toaster' pups it's sporting in the photo were taken from an older, natural T-40 as the neck pup it was originally supplied with was faulty (Fixed by Wizard Pickups). The two different types of pup sound slightly different... with the older, toaster style being slightly more mellow than the more 'in your face' sound from the later blade pups.[/quote]
I'd heard that the pick up design changed at some point during production.. The one I had was with the earlier design p/up.. It was quite mellow I suppose thinking back..

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone! I found this topic simply by chance, looking for "classicandcoolguitars" on google... and what a surprise for me because this is the bass that I reserved a couple of months ago (more or less). If you take a look at that web, you´ll see a note: "on hold for client"... well, I´m that client. :)

just say that I´m happy that you think this bass is "probably one of the most drool-worthy basses you´ve ever seen"... I think the same :huh:

greetings.