Why become a member? ×

Do instruments behave differently in space?

MiltyG565

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1388425341' post='2321858']
That's a good point actually. Is it possible to amplify a sound in space? Of course, you still wouldn't hear it, but in theory, would it work? Would everything work the same except not being able to hear it?
[/quote]

I don't think you could amplify a sound in space because sound can't exist in a vacuum and you can't amplify nothing.

But you could certainly amplify a bass guitar and feed the resulting signal into a big cab and make the speakers move about.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1388430070' post='2321927']
I don't think you could amplify a sound in space because sound can't exist in a vacuum and you can't amplify nothing.

But you could certainly amplify a bass guitar and feed the resulting signal into a big cab and make the speakers move about.
[/quote]

I know you would still hear nothing, but apart from that minor issue, would it work?

Hmmm, the effect of gravity on a string could be fairly easily measured here on earth - all you need to do is set up two experiments in places where gravity is different, where a string on a bass is plucked and then sustain etc analysed.

Of course, one experiment should be at as low an altitude as possible, say the shore of the Dead Sea in Jordan (or, if your budget stretches to it, Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench)

The other should be at as high an altitude as possible - the top of Everest is the obvious place that springs to mind.

Other equipment needed would be a plucking device (need to be able to repeat/replicate the experiment accurately), some sort of protective casing to ensure other environmental variables (temp, humidity, external vibration etc) are identical and some sort of software to analyse output.

Hmmm, looks like I might have suggested a thesis for a student there!!

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1388425341' post='2321858']
:D

That's a good point actually. Is it possible to amplify a sound in space? Of course, you still wouldn't hear it, but in theory, would it work? Would everything work the same except not being able to hear it? Could I play in space and throw a lead down to earth and play with a band (very badly out of time) that's on earth?
[/quote]

I saw something on TV about nanotubes, and how they think those could be used to create a space elevator - basically a long cable from earth up to a space station. So if the nanotube cable incorporated some wire, you could presumably plug into an amplifier on the ground and play from space. Though the latency would be awful, like playing through ASIO4ALL on a Windows 7 laptop. :rolleyes:

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1388677633' post='2324703']
I saw something on TV about nanotubes, and how they think those could be used to create a space elevator - basically a long cable from earth up to a space station. So if the nanotube cable incorporated some wire, you could presumably plug into an amplifier on the ground and play from space. Though the latency would be awful, like playing through ASIO4ALL on a Windows 7 laptop. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Yup, if you follow James May's channel on Youtube (HeadSqueeze) he did a video on it once. Apparently any material that we would normally use for something like a lift would just snap under it's own weight beyond a certain distance, so it's actually a very difficult thing to achieve. I imagine that the lead of a guitar or bass would be much the same - if you were able to make on long enough, it would probably just snap in 2 at some point between space and earth. I wonder how long you can make a fibre optic lead?

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1388679065' post='2324724']
Yup, if you follow James May's channel on Youtube (HeadSqueeze) he did a video on it once. Apparently any material that we would normally use for something like a lift would just snap under it's own weight beyond a certain distance, so it's actually a very difficult thing to achieve. I imagine that the lead of a guitar or bass would be much the same - if you were able to make on long enough, it would probably just snap in 2 at some point between space and earth. I wonder how long you can make a fibre optic lead?
[/quote]

But I'm thinking that, supported by the nanotube core, a normal guitar lead would be fine.

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Since there's no friction in space - yes. Flats and rounds would feel the same to play! [/font][/color] :D[/quote]

there is most definitely friction in space just no air resistance ;)

unfortunately your blood boiling out of your ears, eyes and any other available orifice may change the feel of your strings momentarily before you evaporate :)

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Would the effect be different on flats to rounds? [/font][/color] :P[/quote]

flats would be a more thumpy silence, rounds would have more of a silent zing to them - all depends on the body wood, whether its a bolt on neck or through body stringing is used - the difference in these variations of silence will be just as discernible as they are here on Earth with bass sound :D

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1388226469' post='2319591']
My Coronado sounds great in space, although it did develop a bit of buzz on the interstellar warp-drive recently. Luckily I know a great luthier on Ahfa al Farkadain. Turns out it was the negative-reality inverter. Bloody Fender! I can't believe they are selling basses with basic issues like this!
[/quote]

Fender QC has really gone downhill since they moved production of certain models to Amleth Prime - I don't want to seem racist, but the Cardassians really couldn't care less and frankly accepted the deal just to make enough lek to ensure their nebula continues to render cloaking devices inoperable in the Alpha Quadrant. Tsk!!

Their instruments are still superior to MIM Fenders, though. :D

...I'll get me Nevotda Ruviyal Robe.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1388765730' post='2325822']
Fender QC has really gone downhill since they moved production of certain models to Amleth Prime - I don't want to seem racist, but the Cardassians really couldn't care less and frankly accepted the deal just to make enough lek to ensure their nebula continues to render cloaking devices inoperable in the Alpha Quadrant. Tsk!!
[/quote]

Aye. But, I'd give that Kim one, though.