Why become a member? ×

Broken my flatwound virginity!

Greggo

For Xmas in received a set of Fender flats which I have put on my Yamaha BB414 (they were a 5 string set which I tried on my 5er ray copy which sounded great but I wanted to try on my main rehearsal bass as well which is a 4 banger)

What can I say? Absolutely love the sound! These fenders are surprisingly bright (not a bad thing) but I love the way the notes are fat and clear and having layed down a bassline over a recording the tone is just perfect for what I want.

I was surprised too, because I was half expecting that the tension would be higher and a bit more challenging to fret, but not at all. Also contrary to what I was expecting the tone isn't as dead sounding as I thought, they sound like nicely worn rounds but much much nicer feeling on the fingers.

Wish I'd tried them sooner!

I am still surprised at how much top end is available with these Fenders - i knew so little about flats before, but I'm guessing that must die off with use?

It's not zingy in the same way a round is but just nice amount of treble which can be tamed nicely with the tone knob and the actual notes seem more pronounced.

When we reherse in new year I guess I will see then for real if they work in band context, but if not no biggy as I've got another bass with rounds on, but I don't think I'm going to be disappointed!

Who buys flatwound bass strings as a Christmas present? It's a bit specific isn't it?

Anywho, I'm skeptical... I come from the John Entwistle/Chris Squire school of 'clank' to get some sort of tonal definition in the mix.

On the jazz side, Stanley's not averse to trebely super-wounds either. And Jaco used roundwounds. So 'boo' to this thread.

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1388168773' post='2319106']
Who buys flatwound bass strings as a Christmas present? It's a bit specific isn't it?

Anywho, I'm skeptical... I come from the John Entwistle/Chris Squire school of 'clank' to get some sort of tonal definition in the mix.

On the jazz side, Stanley's not averse to trebely super-wounds either. And Jaco used roundwounds. So 'boo' to this thread.
[/quote]

I was skeptical, but I was curious after having a brief go of them on a relatives bass and I liked them (said relative got me them)

I'm not bothered who does and doesn't use them either - I'm not suddenly a rounds hater :)

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1388175199' post='2319216']
I'm not suddenly a rounds hater :)
[/quote]

Me neither. Got rounds on my Mustang and although I like the feel of flats I will probably stay with rounds for the best tonal range for that instrument.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1388179058' post='2319281']

Me neither. Got rounds on my Mustang and although I like the feel of flats I will probably stay with rounds for the best tonal range for that instrument.
[/quote]

Yeah I know what you mean. I put them on my 5er at first for which they were intended, but they worked much better on Yamaha BB414 because it seems to tame down the sound nicely from the pretty aggressive p pickup. The 5er is a mm style bass with a replica 'ray preamp and having recorded with all 4 combos of rounds / flats on both basses on one particular track, I can hear that the mm sings with rounds and yammy sings with flats

When I started playing bass in 1965, the only strings available were tape wound, flats to you and they were horrible, horrible things. Horrible sound, horrible feel, just horrible. When I tried my first set of swing bass it was a life changing revelation. I saw the light. I heard the sound that was in my head but never in my amp.

My memory of flats means that I would never use them again under any circumstances.

Did I use to many horribles there?

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1388236623' post='2319761']
When I started playing bass in 1965, the only strings available were tape wound, flats to you and they were horrible, horrible things.
[/quote]

I remember buying my first precision in '76 and it came with fender flats (don't think they were tapes, not black tape at any rate and they had green silks). It was like ... you've got to be joking ... off they came to be replaced with rotos.

[quote name='doctorbass' timestamp='1388702596' post='2325193']
I've had LaBella Jamersons on my old Precision for about 6 years now and they get better all the time - very meaty! I'm trying Rotosound 77's (110) set on my other p and after a few months I'm not really enjoying them.
[/quote]

This is more like me in recent years. Bought a set of Labellas in 2005 or thereabouts ... they're still my favourite strings, that exact same set 8+ years later. Whichever bass they're on, that's my favourite bass. :)

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1389013701' post='2328717']
At the weekend I finally got round to putting flats on my Hofner Violin Bass. It's amazing, like a whole new instrument! I admit the rounds that came on it from the factory were a bit crap, but it now goes 'bomp' instead of 'twang' and is just perfect.
[/quote]

Keep playing them! My LaBellas have done hundreds of gigs now and just sound better all the time.

• 1 month later...