Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MiBass 2.0 vs 550

dannybuoy

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard much about them either, but this is a pretty nice review >>
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/20085-ashdown-mibass-20-and-mi12-cabinet-reviews
Decent video at the bottom which showcases the overdrive nicely :)

Did you get to try one out?

There's great deals to be had on the MiBass 2.0 and a Mi12 cab at the moment, but I'm going to hang fire till I see what appears at NAMM before pulling the trigger. One thing is for sure, I reckon I'll be selling on my Promethean P5110 Combo pretty soon and replacing it with something a little more British in flavour :)

Yeah, I tried a 2.0 out at PMT, lovely sounding head with a nice gritty overdrive. I imagine the old one is similar but with a more flexible EQ. I'm only playing at home at the moment so I picked up the CTM15 instead whilst I wait for my Terror to be fixed!

I had the Mibass 550 Mark 1. I liked the sound of it and loved the eq options (which they have now removed), but mine couldn't punch its way out of a paper bag. As soon as I wanted some heft, it just sighed and sloped off into a corner. It may have been the particular sample I had, but I thought it worth mentioning, as I expect the power stage is the same on Version 2.0.

The mibass has an all new power stage its 400 watts rms and 600rms peak as class D amps go thats a pretty good transient peak. probably the highest I have seen. As with every class d effort, you need sensitive cabs to get the best out of them. You should aim for a sensitvity of +98db and above ideally. Some older cabs and cabs made to work with a heavy duty mosfet amp, wont work well with the amp. I have heard good things about the Mi12 cab. I just ordered one, so when it arrives, I will tell ya how good it is......

I tried a Mibass 2.0 and a Orange bass terror a few months back, the terror 500 was louder but not as bassy, the mibass 2.0 has a lot more low end i thought, both where through an ABM410. I guess,it takes / wastes a lot more power to produce a decent low end?

Once a long ago I had a little giant LG1000 and a superfly 48 cab as a portable job, i had to wring the guts out of it to get any decent volume. I tried it on a basssyteme (104db sensitivity) cab and at the same volume it nearly blew my head off. I guess the 48 wasnt a very sensitive cab....

I am not convienced of any of these these ultra compact heads. My lightweight rig is a UK made rackmount ashdown spyder 550, loads of power, 575rms 980 watts peak! high transients, real all tube preamp (high voltage) and it sounds really nice. Above all its reliable. It weighs 14.8kgs in its ultra light armoured rack bag. Its not exactly heavy..... Its a compromise I am willing to make. I don't change amps that often and I want my moneys worth! Some people on here seem to change their amps every week haha! Not sure what thats about! The Ashdown Spydy has a 5 year warranty, I am a heavy user, but I know it will last, would a terror bass, streamliner, PF500 do 200-300 gigs per year for 5 years and not die hell no!

Edited by dan670844

Hmm, I thought the opposite to you - the Orange Terror 500 is the bassiest micro head I've ever played and I thought the Ashdown MiBass was lacking in comparison and had to turn the bass up to match the OTB!

Also I think the 5 year warranty probably also applies to the MiBass as I got the same with my CTM15!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1389030451' post='2329054']
Yeah, I tried a 2.0 out at PMT, lovely sounding head with a nice gritty overdrive. I imagine the old one is similar but with a more flexible EQ. I'm only playing at home at the moment so I picked up the CTM15 instead whilst I wait for my Terror to be fixed!
[/quote]

Ah, I saw that thread, I think I may have even posted in it! Suffering from baby induced sleep deprivation.
So you liked the head, did you try it out through a Mi12 cab? If so, what did you think of it? My experience of 12s is based on Aguilar stuff, which I loved...

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1389032896' post='2329094']
I had the Mibass 550 Mark 1. I liked the sound of it and loved the eq options (which they have now removed), but mine couldn't punch its way out of a paper bag. As soon as I wanted some heft, it just sighed and sloped off into a corner. It may have been the particular sample I had, but I thought it worth mentioning, as I expect the power stage is the same on Version 2.0.
[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up mate, but its the newer head I'd be looking for, sounds like the newer power section is an improvement too.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1389046929' post='2329390']
Hmm, I thought the opposite to you - the Orange Terror 500 is the bassiest micro head I've ever played and I thought the Ashdown MiBass was lacking in comparison and had to turn the bass up to match the OTB!

Also I think the 5 year warranty probably also applies to the MiBass as I got the same with my CTM15!
[/quote]

Yup, 5 year warranty on all their new stuff as far as I can tell :)

Eude

Didn't try the Ashdown cabs as I was head shopping rather than cab shopping, so I just plugged into an Orange OBC410. They only had Orange gear in their soundproofed room and so I just chose something that was available rather than lug something else across the shop!

Just checked the video, the drive sounds much nicer when it's just on the edge with the gain around noon, he overcooked it a bit there and didn't show much gain variation.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1389090728' post='2329676']
Didn't try the Ashdown cabs as I was head shopping rather than cab shopping, so I just plugged into an Orange OBC410. They only had Orange gear in their soundproofed room and so I just chose something that was available rather than lug something else across the shop!
[/quote]

Fair doos mate, I imagine anything would sound massive through one of those Orange cabs!

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1389022122' post='2328879']
a pretty nice review >>
[url="http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/20085-ashdown-mibass-20-and-mi12-cabinet-reviews"]http://www.premiergu...cabinet-reviews[/url]
[/quote]

Just be aware the 8 Ohm claim in that review seems wrong. The MiBass 2.0 will take 4 Ohm if the Ashdown site is to be believed.
Couldn't find a picture of the 2.0's back, but do believe Ashdown. Probably two speakons for two 8 Ohm cabs.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1389032896' post='2329094']
[/quote]

I do believe I now own your old MiBass 550 Stevie :). I find it plenty loud enough (although I do put it through a 4 ohm cab). I sold an Ashdown ABM 500 to buy the MiBass, and it's at least as loud as that.

Supposedly the main reason why Ashdown brought out the new version, is because people got confused by the semi parametric EQ on the old version. Us bassists like our EQ nice and simple, apparently.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1389188801' post='2331046']
I do believe I now own your old MiBass 550 Stevie :). I find it plenty loud enough (although I do put it through a 4 ohm cab). I sold an Ashdown ABM 500 to buy the MiBass, and it's at least as loud as that.
[/quote]

Indeed you do. Which just goes to show that you should always take opinions on here with a pinch of salt, because one of us is wrong (I'm not saying it's not me :) ).

• 1 month later...

I have an Ashdown MiBass 550 which I used for a year as my main gigging amp along with an Barefaced Compact. Great sounds and huge output - never got it anywhere more than half way 'round the dial with a very loud rock drummer and a guitarist with a very noisy Hot Rod Deluxe. Medium sized pubs is where I play. Never any PA support.

And that was only using half the power (since it has two separate 8 Ohm outputs).

Just about to give it an outing again this weekend with 2 x 8 Ohm Ashdown Mi12 cabs.

I highly recommend the 550 and I'm a bit interested in the MiBass 2.0 ..... also looking at the BH250 and the Routemaster.