Why become a member? ×

Overwater vs Wal...

White Cloud

Having owned a Wal in the dim & distant past I had been preparing to make plans for purchasing another for my 50th (in the next 4 years). There are a few Wal related threads doing the rounds at the moment...and this has got my juices flowing somewhat.

Here's the thing though - various Overwater's have also caught my eye from afar recently...and they also appear to tick most of my boxes; British built, custom options, very high quality and only a couple of hours drive from my home - but they don't seem to hold the same kudos or allure as Wal.

Why is this?

I know Wal's well, the feel , the sound, the balance...but surprisingly in 35 yrs of playing have never played an Overwater. I saw a 6 string in the flesh recently, and was extremely impressed with the quality of finish, but didn't have the opportunity to play it or hear it.

Are Overwater's in the same league and worthy of consideration as a realistic alternative? Can they match up to the sonic capability of the Wal?

Apples and oranges. Without doubt as well made (most are these days), just different. Personally I'd go Sei but hey, that's just me. Paul Everson is worth a look too IMO.

Personally I think Wal have a fairly unique sound which may or may not be someone's cup of tea, but beyond that nothing is any better than most other high-end makers these days. It depends what suits you.

Edited by 4000

Some brands have a NAME. Some have not. It has nothing to do with quality. Unfortunately that reflects a lot in the price on the second hand market, but if you get an instrument to [b]keep [/b]and [b]play[/b], it doesn't matter.
I've never played a Wal, but I've played an Overwater. A very good and nice instrument with solid feel and tone. It is like clothes: some suites you better...

Edited by bassmayhem

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1387626657' post='2313912']
just a thought, looking at the price of Wals....
could you go have a try of ACG's Uber spec line and see how they compare... if they do then you could possibly get one [i]and [/i]an overwater...
of course it wouldn't "be" a Wal
[/quote]
To be completely honest I have looked at ACG's...and I mean no disrespect to Alan as his work is absolutely outstanding, but the styling just isn't for me. I have heard great things about the electrics/pups/pre's though.

As 4000 says entirely different instruments that have nothing in common other than they are both designed to produce low notes from plucked strings.

The UK has an abundance of manufacturers/luthiers who produce bass guitars (I have a list of 40 that I know of and there are probably more) the trick is to find the one that produces the right bass for you.

Never tired or owned a Wal but have had two Overwaters and they really are fab instruments. Chris is a great guy and if you're only a couple of hours away I would definitely go see him and have a chat and a test play, then you'll know. I would also think that the delivery for a new Overwater would be much sooner than a new Wal...

[quote name='Urban Bassman' timestamp='1387629757' post='2313959']
Never tired or owned a Wal but have had two Overwaters and they really are fab instruments. Chris is a great guy and if you're only a couple of hours away I would definitely go see him and have a chat and a test play, then you'll know. I would also think that the delivery for a new Overwater would be much sooner than a new Wal...
[/quote]

But an Overwater is not a Wal. Which is the whole point.

[quote name='Urban Bassman' timestamp='1387629757' post='2313959']
[/quote]
You make a good point about popping down to see Chris....but if they aren't for me I would feel like a dufus in front of the good people of Overwater!

I remember Overwater basses right from when I very first started playing in the early 1980's, and back in those days they were one of a whole host of British bass builders who were seeking to challenge the American brands that had previously dominated the top end of the market. Exotic foreign brands were far less available in the U.K in those days, so the market was ripe for British-made equivalents that would be both more available and more affordable. History has cast Wal basses as the long-term victor in that marketplace in terms of prestige and desirability , but Overwater , JayDee, Status and a few others all make basses of comparable quality, in my opinion .

Where I personally think the Wal scores over Overwater's equivalent designs is that the Wal has a more distinctive signature sound that is very easily identifiable. The Wal also has a bit more guttural power , whereas the Overwater has a more of a generic modern high-end exotic wood bass kind of a sound . That is not at all meant as a criticism of Overwater's sound - some may well prefer that tone- but just a description of how it differs from the inherently fat and chunky- sounding Wal.

Ultimately, I would have to say that with any bass, but especially one that is such a special purchase, if you have to think twice about whether you really want it then the answer is that you probably don't. If you want a Wal , you want a Wal. That said, if you tried an Overwater and became familiar with its' virtues with it in the same way you are familiar with the Wal then then you might change your alliegiances , so if you get a chance to play one, take it. Overwater have got a retail shop exactly so people such as yourself can have a chance to try their instruments and see if they like them and I don't think they would be at all put out if you went to try out their basses with an open mind.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1387641215' post='2314118']
the Overwater has a more of a generic modern high-end exotic wood bass kind of a sound . That is not at all meant as a criticism of Overwater's sound - some may well prefer that tone- but just a description of how it differs from the inherently fat and chunky- sounding Wal.
[/quote]
I think this statement answers my question in a nutshell. The generic modern kind of sound is not what I am aiming for.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1387644488' post='2314164']
....The generic modern kind of sound is not what I am aiming for....
[/quote]
Then can I interest you in Mike Lull basses? Beautifully made and sound like you've just stepped into Life On Mars.

Wal have always seemed to me to be about the electronics being the dominant thing; about obtaining a distinctive, identifiable sound more than anything. From talking to Chris May many times I'd say Overwater are about transparent electronics which allow the individual wood choices to come to the fore. In a sense I'd have said Wal and Overwater are in some ways opposites.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1387648806' post='2314228']
You have piqued my interest!
[/quote]

Lulls are indeed great basses ( Mike Lull is one of the few builders who I would describe as a genuine perfectionist) , as are Sadowsky and the U.S.A-made Laklands that offer a similar range of traditionally-inspired modern basses. If you want to go the Fender-style route, the possibilities are almost too numerous to list.

I had the chance to buy a Wal in the late eighties as it sounded everything like I wanted a bass to sound. I didn't and regretted it, having to wait until this year to put that right. I've now got the bass I longed for but that doesn't stop me wanting others. If you have difficulty choosing between two basses the obvious answer is buy both. Anything else falls short. And buy with the heart, not the head.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1387651133' post='2314270']
Lulls are indeed great basses ( Mike Lull is one of the few builders who I would describe as a genuine perfectionist) , as are Sadowsky and the U.S.A-made Laklands that offer a similar range of traditionally-inspired modern basses. If you want to go the Fender-style route, the possibilities are almost too numerous to list.
[/quote]
I played & gigged various Lakland skylines for a number of years...wonderful basses, and so much more (for me) than my Fenders ever were.

[quote name='2004gdavi' timestamp='1387653753' post='2314312']
I had the chance to buy a Wal in the late eighties as it sounded everything like I wanted a bass to sound. I didn't and regretted it, having to wait until this year to put that right. I've now got the bass I longed for but that doesn't stop me wanting others. If you have difficulty choosing between two basses the obvious answer is buy both. Anything else falls short. And buy with the heart, not the head.
[/quote]
I owned a brand new Wal mk1 in the 80's...and in a moment of madness swapped it for a Jaydee (I blame Mark King on "the Tube" for that folly). I regret it so much and have been kicking myself since. I am however a patient man when it comes to righting wrongs......

Buying both isn't an option....not sure my marriage is strong enough to endure that lol!

I have owned an Overwater Progress III and have played a few Wal's over the years. When it comes to craftsmanship and quality there is little between them. Tone wise, very different.

Every Overwater I have played has had a very neutral tone...uncoloured and open. The electronics package is designed for that purpose. I personally like that approach. When I used to play my Progress III into my old EA iAmp 500 is was bliss. Chris May is a pickup and preamp wizard and I feel that he doesn't get enough recognition for it. That simple, organic tone won't be everyone's cup of tea. Because the tone is so transaparent it can expose even small mistakes in your playing, so I consider Overwater basses to be a top 'players' bass. Not for the novice. Your really have to allow these basses to sing and a lot of that comes down to the player. But, the rewards are great when you nail it. I was not quite ready when I bought mine, but that bass certainly helped me to raise my game.

I consider Wal basses to have more of a voice. Their electronics package take a very different approach. The pickups are powerful and colourful. The preamp has a larger EQ sweep and the trim switches give you varying levels of attack and response depending on your playing style. Wal basses are great for fiddling around with because they offer so much tonal diversity.

I like both brands very much, but they are very different. I would say that Overwater is a 'does what it says on the tin' type bass. It does the basics, but really, really well. A Wal is a bass for the nerd that needs the full spectrum of the rainbow...and have a spine made of carbon fibre (bloody hell they are heavy!).

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1387669169' post='2314478']
I have owned an Overwater Progress III and have played a few Wal's over the years. When it comes to craftsmanship and quality there is little between them. Tone wise, very different.

Every Overwater I have played has had a very neutral tone...uncoloured and open. The electronics package is designed for that purpose. I personally like that approach. When I used to play my Progress III into my old EA iAmp 500 is was bliss. Chris May is a pickup and preamp wizard and I feel that he doesn't get enough recognition for it. That simple, organic tone won't be everyone's cup of tea. Because the tone is so transaparent it can expose even small mistakes in your playing, so I consider Overwater basses to be a top 'players' bass. Not for the novice. Your really have to allow these basses to sing and a lot of that comes down to the player. But, the rewards are great when you nail it. I was not quite ready when I bought mine, but that bass certainly helped me to raise my game.

I consider Wal basses to have more of a voice. Their electronics package take a very different approach. The pickups are powerful and colourful. The preamp has a larger EQ sweep and the trim switches give you varying levels of attack and response depending on your playing style. Wal basses are great for fiddling around with because they offer so much tonal diversity.

I like both brands very much, but they are very different. I would say that Overwater is a 'does what it says on the tin' type bass. It does the basics, but really, really well. A Wal is a bass for the nerd that needs the full spectrum of the rainbow...and have a spine made of carbon fibre (bloody hell they are heavy!).
[/quote]
Thank you for this comprehensive post...if Carlsberg did a reply to my original enquiry then this would be it. Very helpful indeed.