Why become a member? ×

Strap length: been able to play vs looking cool

col.decker

Something that hasn't been mentioned : Arm length. Compared to my limb length, I have a short torso. Which means I have long arms.Compared to Ian Savage's picture,for example, my hands are a good 6 " closer to my knees, which means it's far more comfortable for me to have a low slung bass than it is for me to have it higher up.Just a thought.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1389361767' post='2333310']
Something that hasn't been mentioned : Arm length. Compared to my limb length, I have a short torso. Which means I have long arms.Compared to Ian Savage's picture,for example, my hands are a good 6 " closer to my knees, which means it's far more comfortable for me to have a low slung bass than it is for me to have it higher up.Just a thought.
[/quote]

This thread puts wierd pictures in my head...

[quote name='operative451' timestamp='1389354587' post='2333150']
Yep, that looks cool! Compare:

[url="http://londonphotos.biz/galleries/music/livework/photos/B4908_Level42IndigO2_034.jpg"]http://londonphotos....IndigO2_034.jpg[/url]

Very not cool.. :D

Also watching the 70s old grey whistle test compilations on bbc4 has made me think, yeah, the prog guys playing fingerstyle looked way less cool with their fingers flapping around than the punkers with picks... Hmmm... Ok, fingers work better for certain sounds, but yeah... Flapping. No....
[/quote]

Might I suggest to you ( in a friendly manner) that the point of playing the bass, or indeed any musical instrument, is to make music. The coolest thing you can do with a bass is actually learn how to play it in a musical fashion , not sling it round you ankles and look like you are trying to saw it in half with a plectrum.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Freddy Le Cragg' timestamp='1389296292' post='2332592']
Basic rule. If you can be punched in the bollocks when playing, its too high
[/quote]

I would have to disagree with this. I want my bollocks to be easily accessible to the general public when I am playing.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1389361916' post='2333315']
Might I suggest to you ( in a friendly manner) that the point of playing the bass, or indeed any musical instrument, is to make music. The coolest thing you can do with a bass is actually learn how to play it in a musical fashion , not sling it round you ankles and look like you are trying to saw it in half with a plectrum.
[/quote]

I shall look forward (in another friendly manner) to your next gig when you all sit like a string quartet (to maximise the ergonomics of the musical performance) and entertain the audience that way...that'll be cool.

Playing live can (and very often is) be a performance of the music more than a recital, and there are many factors to a performance, one of which is physical presentation and image. Sling it low and thrash the thing, or cradle it and never miss a note, all are valid.

Edited by Muzz

Hmmm, let's take a look at some of the biggest rock bands out there, see what makes the bass player tick eh?

The Rolling Stones: Bill Wyman, what a nutter, all over the show him, couldn't stand still and play for 5 seconds!

The Who: Jon Entwhistle, total loon, if he wasn't leaping off Moon's drum kit he was climbing the lighting rig like a baboon, crazy man on stage.

Ok, what about a more modern band I hear you say?

Oasis: Total madness on stage, didn't know where to look half the time, no wonder they split up, they were knackered!

:)

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1389364258' post='2333372']
True, but I don't thinking he was expecting an over enthusiastic fan to crush one of his bollocks on stage..
[/quote]

My dad never had any fans , enthusiastic or otherwise, so his bollocks were relatively safe, I am happy to say.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1389365116' post='2333391']
I shall look forward (in another friendly manner) to your next gig when you all sit like a string quartet (to maximise the ergonomics of the musical performance) and entertain the audience that way...that'll be cool.

Playing live can (and very often is) be a performance of the music more than a recital, and there are many factors to a performance, one of which is physical presentation and image. Sling it low and thrash the thing, or cradle it and never miss a note, all are valid.
[/quote]

Why does it have to an opposition between the silly affectation of wearing a guitar slung low for rock and roll "cool" ( Cool? Who says so, and why?) and sitting down like a string quartet?

Wearing a bass slung very low makes playing it effectively and efficiently a lot harder for most people. That is an undeniable fact. Plenty of dynamic live performers wear their guitar at a sensible and functional height and it does absolutely nothing to detract from their charisma. Miles Davis once said that he could tell a good trumpet player just from the way he stands,, and the same is true for the bass guitar. There are some decent players who wear their bass lower , but they are few and far between.

I'm not at all precious about it..Different people have different motivations for taking up and instrument in the first place, and to some people they are more bothered about appearances than actualities. That is a perfectly valid choice, but such people can only be judged according to those choices they have made . It is a false dichotomy to suggest that music divides between cool people who wear their basses low and nerdy geeks who wear it high . What could be more uncool than being so lacking in individuality or imagination that you unquestioningly buy into all the same old banalities? It's one thing to have an image, but it's another thing entirely to be a stereotype.

The coolest thing you can do with a bass is actually learn how to play it in a musical fashion , not sling it round you ankles and look like you are trying to saw it in half with a plectrum.
[/quote]

Cooler than wearing a bass low is to sling it in a dumpster and take up the guitar. ;)

[/quote]

It might be to you - if that's what you get out of it, fine. And i do enjoy writing, playing, recording and learning how to do all those things better. I also enjoy jumping about, showing off, making noise and dressing up - its all part of performing, and its fun. If it wasn't, all basses and 6 string guitars would be the same shape, and plain wood, and then what would we argue about? :D

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1389370856' post='2333508']
Why does it have to an opposition between the silly affectation of wearing a guitar slung low for rock and roll "cool" ( Cool? Who says so, and why?) and sitting down like a string quartet?

Wearing a bass slung very low makes playing it effectively and efficiently a lot harder for most people. That is an undeniable fact. Plenty of dynamic live performers wear their guitar at a sensible and functional height and it does absolutely nothing to detract from their charisma. Miles Davis once said that he could tell a good trumpet player just from the way he stands,, and the same is true for the bass guitar. There are some decent players who wear their bass lower , but they are few and far between.

I'm not at all precious about it..Different people have different motivations for taking up and instrument in the first place, and to some people they are more bothered about appearances than actualities. That is a perfectly valid choice, but such people can only be judged according to those choices they have made . It is a false dichotomy to suggest that music divides between cool people who wear their basses low and nerdy geeks who wear it high . What could be more uncool than being so lacking in individuality or imagination that you unquestioningly buy into all the same old banalities? It's one thing to have an image, but it's another thing entirely to be a stereotype.
[/quote]

Did you miss the last three words of my post? :D

Spike Milligan writes about being instructed by Major Jumbo Jenkins on the correct etiquette for the Battery dance band: "Stand up straight, step forward smartly and play as if you were playing for King and Country." Spike replies "Yes Sir, and if I ever play a wrong note, I shall immediately think of Hitler..."

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1389373123' post='2333554']
Did you miss the last three words of my post? :D

Spike Milligan writes about being instructed by Major Jumbo Jenkins on the correct etiquette for the Battery dance band: "Stand up straight, step forward smartly and play as if you were playing for King and Country." Spike replies "Yes Sir, and if I ever play a wrong note, I shall immediately think of Hitler..."
[/quote]

Only the first sentence of my post is directed at you, my friend. The rest is a broader discourse.

[quote name='operative451' timestamp='1389372739' post='2333543']
I also enjoy jumping about, showing off, making noise and dressing up - its all part of performing, and its fun.
[/quote]

Quite right. And even when one has reached a state of musical accomplishment, performance issues such as strap height remain a vital matter of context. What is the point in executing a technically demanding passage when a simple drop kick or 'flying V' will rouse certain [i]specific[/i] audiences to greater heights of enthusiasm.

Were it not that advancing age and deteriorating kneecaps preclude such showcraft, I should still mostly be airborne upon any stage I might grace. Unless it were a jazz gig, of course, in which case I might light my pipe, sit down with my back to the punters and smirk at the drummist.

A rigid position on strap height, such motivating factors as might apply and the inherent 'integrity' of the low-slinger is the province of the hobbyist and second-class thinker.

The bass player has too long been hobbled by reactionary nostrums. Let's get cool, people. :)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='operative451' timestamp='1389372739' post='2333543']
I also enjoy jumping about, showing off, making noise and dressing up - its all part of performing, and its fun.
[/quote]

In that case, have you thought about joining the circus and becoming a clown ? You get to do all those things a lot more than you do being a bass player. :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1389374325' post='2333579']
Quite right. And even when one has reached a state of musical accomplishment, performance issues such as strap height remain a vital matter of context. What is the point in executing a technically demanding passage when a simple drop kick or 'flying V' will rouse certain [i]specific[/i] audiences to greater heights of enthusiasm.

Were it not that advancing age and deteriorating kneecaps preclude such showcraft, I should still mostly be airborne upon any stage I might grace. Unless it were a jazz gig, of course, in which case I might light my pipe, sit down with my back to the punters and smirk at the drummist.

A rigid position on strap height, such motivating factors as might apply and the inherent 'integrity' of the low-slinger is the province of the hobbyist and second-class thinker.

The bass player has too long been hobbled by reactionary nostrums. Let's get cool, people. :)
[/quote]

I'm sure I can't match your first- class thinking and professionalism, Skank - I only play the bass for a hobby nowadays- but I was taught by some very good players that playing the bass well is a extremely difficult skill to learn , and so if you want to be a good player you need to do everything you can to make it as easy as possible for yourself. Unless you have a very unusual physiology, wearing your bass very low will make playing anything reasonably involved or challenging a lot harder. If all you want to do is thrash it then I suppose you could wear it any height and it won't make much of a difference.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1389375526' post='2333597']

In that case, have you thought about joining the circus and becoming a clown ? You get to do all those things a lot more than you do being a bass player. :)
[/quote]

Oh no, you've played the clown card!
Things could get messy :-0