Why become a member? ×

I Really Really Really Really Really want a Wal

artisan

[quote name='philw' timestamp='1387547124' post='2313217']
Reading the couple of recent Wal themed threads made me wonder if we shouldn't try and do a Wal themed bass day? We'd get as many Wals as possible together in the same room so that folks who have always wanted to have a go on one but have never had the opportunity could do so. It'd also be fun for us Wal owners to see and hear our own instruments in the context of a whole bunch of their relatives. I wonder how many we could get? We might even get Paul Herman to come along as Pete and Wal's representative on Earth.
[/quote]

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1387547296' post='2313220']
Where do I sign up?
[/quote]

I arranged something similar to this last year, with half a dozen Basschatters bringing Wals and MTDs to my rehearsal space (i.e. garage) in West London so that a GAS-filled friend could A/B them all.

I'm in the process of putting together a much larger rehearsal space in an industrial unit near by, which should be up and running by next Easter.

If peeps are still up for this idea in a few months, someone remind me and I'll be happy to host it.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1387547476' post='2313226']

It is a 4 string. It is one of the nicest ones I have ever seen . You are in serious trouble.
[/quote]

Do you know what, I looked at the pics and the last thumbnail (from the Wal site) at the bottom shows a 5 string headstock - I hadn't noticed previously - my mind immediately said you are ok it's a fiver!!

And you are right that is very beautiful and I am caused a major problem!!

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1387555663' post='2313346']
Having owned both Wal and Alembic basses I feel that the filter based system is the absolute best way to go with bass electronics. Much better than the common cut/boost preamps - the downside is the price!
[/quote]

I too am a big fan of filter -based preamps . They are far more useful and far more colourful in what they offer than simple cut and boost designs, but as you rightly point out, they tend to only be found on more upmarket designs.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1387623582' post='2313860']
Do you know what, I looked at the pics and the last thumbnail (from the Wal site) at the bottom shows a 5 string headstock - I hadn't noticed previously - my mind immediately said you are ok it's a fiver!!

And you are right that is very beautiful and I am caused a major problem!!
[/quote]

I've got a feeling that bass will get snapped up pretty quickly.

I sold a MK1 Wal with an equally beautiful maple top for £625 in 1999, and I was glad to get that much for it in the end ! How good do I feel looking at that bass ? :lol:

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1387641753' post='2314124']
....and I was glad to get that much for it in the end !....
[/quote]

Nearly 20 years ago I was standing in the Bass Centre when a guy came in trying to sell a Mk1 Wal for about £300. Nick told him they weren't interested!!

How times have changed!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1387647127' post='2314200']
Nearly 20 years ago I was standing in the Bass Centre when a guy came in trying to sell a Mk1 Wal for about £300. Nick told him they weren't interested!!

How times have changed!
[/quote]

I traded my MK1 in Wapping for a new Streamer stage 1 + about £700 back in 89

I have one of the new ones (as well as a bunch of the old ones), and I have to say that Paul is building them better today than the old company was at any given peak. He builds them lighter too! Study his new era bass and he's like a laser guided robot, everything is perfect and precisely symmetric as it needs to be, bookmatch of all the woods involved are precise. I do love my old ones, but you see the little handcrafted uneven idiosyncrasies everywhere...he fixed all that.