Why become a member? ×

Howdy!?

Chu88y

Hello All,

Bizarrely (maybe) I'm actually a keyboard player in a blues band (North West UK). Also, I play (and collect) guitar a bit, sing a bit and having just jacked in one of the bands I was playing with (to concentrate on blues organ/piano), I've decided to pick up something I dabbled with many years ago, BASS. I've had quite a few along the way, 1973 Rickenbacker 4001, 1978 Fender Precision, 1987 Fender Jazz (USA), all of which got (regrettably) sold along the way to purchase other guitars, keyboards and even a front door! Also had a couple of Yamahas, Ibanez, Hohner, CSL, blah blah blah… My daughter has a nice 2011 Mexican Precision in CopperBurst and a very playable and great sounding Ibanez SR250 which I've borrowed a bit… ok, a lot.

NOW…. as mentioned, I have some time available and so I've decided to follow the bass bug after all and so far on the shopping list and within available budget are EITHER a MIM Jazz, Squier CV 60's Jazz, Epiphone RumbleKat, Hofner VeryThin or an Ibanez AGB200. Whichever it ends up being will occasionally be used, initially anyway, at local a jam night through a good old Fender Rumble 100 combo. I'm not (yet) a tone-specific-bass-head and I have no ego or snobbery about gear so I'm just hoping to get myself a nice sounding playable bass to use with my very loud and great sounding Rumble until the day I do inevitably become a tone-specific-bass-head egotistical gear snob ;-)

So I'm doing a bit of browsing and opinion gathering and comparing…. as you do. Knew about this site/forum via an old band buddy of mine who is on here (kennyrodg). Loads of useful info so far.

Hoping to jump all over a purchase in the January sales if not a used bargain before then.

That's it….

Cheers
Andy

So... The Faires and The Elves visited during the night and made the decision for me. 1998 MIM Fender Jazz. Plays and sounds delicious and has been cherished! Missus was quite surprised really with "you don't play [i]bass[/i]!??" and "you've only just bought another [i]guitar[/i]!??" amongst the statements of exasperation. She agrees that it's beautiful anyway even tho she thinks I need help :-) Sore fingers here I come!!

• 3 weeks later...