Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Slipping end-pin. Any advice?

Bilbo

My end-pin keeps slipping on gigs. It is as tight as I can get it without pliers but still seems to slip when I am playing, causing embarassment, if nothing else!! Anyone got any idea what the problem/solution may be? I don't THINIK I am leading heavily on the bass.

Before I play I stand the bass on its side and pull out the end pin and by fiddling about make sure that the screw is properly located in the pin's indentation before I tighten it up. May be a good idea, Rob, to make sure that your indentations/slots/why have good square shoulders on them, and if necessary fettle these up with a file.

You can also get this very thin tape which is designed to be wrapped around screw thread. When the screw is err screwed into the hole, the tape binds and provides more friction and also fills any small gaps there may have been before.

I can't remember what its called but it is similar in principle to plumbers tape to water-seal screw threaded pipes.

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1386176990' post='2296795']
You can also get this very thin tape which is designed to be wrapped around screw thread. When the screw is err screwed into the hole, the tape binds and provides more friction and also fills any small gaps there may have been before.

I can't remember what its called but it is similar in principle to plumbers tape to water-seal screw threaded pipes.
[/quote]

PTFE (teflon) tape or a dab of superglue on the threads would do for a temporary fix.
A new screw with a pointed end and opposite countersunk indent on the end pin is a pretty easy option to DIY

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1386176990' post='2296795']

[/quote] PTFE tape mate :)