Why become a member? ×

Can you drop a R*ck*nb*ck*r?

action_panzer

Of course you [i]can[/i], but I've rarely seen it done, Arch Enemy being the only band I can recall that drop their ricky to a low C, and they seem to keep the character of tone (until all the pointlessly heavy stuff bulldozes it anyway...)

Here is why I ask - the 4003 is my dream bass, i love the sound, the look, how they play, and I will shortly have enough dosh to finally go out and get one. Yet everything I play at the moment is in a C tuning, and I remember from looking on TalkBass ages ago people saying Ricky's really don't like being dropped beyond a D.

Opinions? It seems pointless to have my dream instrument to only practice and noodle on.

P.S. silyl rickenbacker spelling is because I don't know if BC would be harrased by RIC to take the post down if I don't :P

Check out the Peter Theobalds era of Akercocke - not sure what they tuned to, but being black/death metal it's going to be low. Anything off the Words That Go Unspoked, Deeds That Go Undone album would be a good place to hear it, particularly on the opening track Verdelet which sounds very Rick-ish

Edited by Graham

I play mine in (only slightly dropped) Eb tuning, using EB Regular Slinkys (105-50). If you want to drop it further you could probably use a slightly heavier gauge, although you'll probably have to widen the nut slots. I don't see any other problems with using dropped tuning though.

My old 4003 was always in D standard (D, G, C, F) and played brilliantly with only a couple of minor tweaks to the bridge (intonation & string height). Used stainless 105 guage Stadium Elites.

For C or lower, maybe look at using slightly heavier strings (110's?).

My Rockinbetter's tuned to D, without tweaks, and it sounds just fine.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1385991282' post='2294350']
I'd drop one, from a great height
[/quote]

I dropped mine last week, albeit from a small height whilst sticking on my straplocks..... :o[size=4] [/size]

Luckily the floor was carpeted, but still caused a mark on the headstock.

Please don't all cheer at once! :D[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='action_panzer' timestamp='1385988045' post='2294302']
Of course you [i]can[/i], but I've rarely seen it done, Arch Enemy being the only band I can recall that drop their ricky to a low C, and they seem to keep the character of tone (until all the pointlessly heavy stuff bulldozes it anyway...)

Here is why I ask - the 4003 is my dream bass, i love the sound, the look, how they play, and I will shortly have enough dosh to finally go out and get one. Yet everything I play at the moment is in a C tuning, and I remember from looking on TalkBass ages ago people saying Ricky's really don't like being dropped beyond a D.

Opinions? It seems pointless to have my dream instrument to only practice and noodle on.

P.S. silyl rickenbacker spelling is because I don't know if BC would be harrased by RIC to take the post down if I don't :P
[/quote]

Start listening to and watching stoner doom bands. A Rickenbacker bass tuned to C (or below) is semi-obligatory with a lot of those bands. Start with Sleep and Kyuss (Reeder era) and go from there. There is a Stoner/Doom thread on Talkbass and I bet that there is a bunch of guys who use Ricks. The guitarist in Arch Enemy has another band called Spiritual Beggars, and I'm pretty sure that the bass on all the early albums is on Rickenbacker as well.

Edited by thodrik

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1386013121' post='2294636']
Start listening and watching stoner doom bands. A Rickenbacker bass tuned to C (or below) is semi-obligatory with a lot of those bands. Start with Sleep and Kyuss (Reeder era) and go from there. There is a Stoner/Doom thread on Talkbass and I bet that there is a bunch of guys who use Ricks. The guitarist in Arch Enemy has another band called Spiritual Beggars, and I'm pretty sure that the bass on all the early albums is on Rickenbacker as well.
[/quote]

Oh yes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKqoNrZ00Bg

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1386004944' post='2294539']

I dropped mine last week, albeit from a small height whilst sticking on my straplocks..... :o[size=4] [/size]

Luckily the floor was carpeted, but still caused a mark on the headstock.

Please don't all cheer at once! :D[size=4] [/size]
[/quote]

I like the irony that you dropped a bass whilst installing a device designed to prevent you from dropping the bass.

Glad the damage was minimal