Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do some basses have so many owners ?

ambient

While others have so few ?

I recently took possession of a rather nice 6 string bass. Can you have too many 6 string basses, I don't think so.

Anyway, the bass is 8 years old, and has had at least 6 previous owners, making me the 7th, which seems rather a lot in just 8 years.

I'm puzzled as to why, because there is really nothing wrong with the bass, it play great, has a nice low action, the pickups and electronics are amazing, and very uncoloured. She also looks great, so why has she been through so many hands ?

I think it applies to all basses which have two distinctive and powerful features and one of them is a big PRO, another - big CON, for example:[list]
[*]great sound + horrible neck comfort (Ibanez ATK310 was that thing for me)
[*]big versatility + excruciating weight (that's why previous owner of my Peavey T-40 sold her to me)
[*]stylish, classy looks + problem with using it with some music genres (I guess it goes with basses like '51 P-Bass or Telecaster II Bass)
[/list]

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1385823620' post='2292575']
Perhaps people fancied trying a six-string but then quickly found that they had no real use for it.
[/quote]

At a guess, I think ET has hit the nail on the head.

That's one of the nice things about this forum. Plenty of access to a wide variety of instruments, and a ready (well, ready-ish - it's a recession, don't you know?) market if we decide not to keep them.

I've gone through a few in my time; all have gone to good homes since; and some have moved on again. I may well get some of them back at this rate :lol:

Its not just 6 strings though. My Overwater which I am also selling has had a few owners, and its mostly been sold for one of two reasons: 1) They had money when they bought it but desperately needed it down the line or 2) They decided not to do the 5 string thing anymore. I'm selling it for the first reason, if I could keep it I would!

Ps. Steve Lawson uses Modulus Quantum 6's and he can make them sound REALLY good.

I don't think there's any correlation between how many owners a bass has had & how "good" it is - some people just like buying & selling gear.

The Spector Euro 5LX I bought on here is a superb bass but it had lots of owners before me.
It's easily the best five string I've played but I'm still not 100% sure a five string is right for me so I may well sell it on.

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1385843870' post='2292854']
Its not just 6 strings though. My Overwater which I am also selling has had a few owners, and its mostly been sold for one of two reasons: 1) They had money when they bought it but desperately needed it down the line or 2) They decided not to do the 5 string thing anymore. I'm selling it for the first reason, if I could keep it I would!

Ps. Steve Lawson uses Modulus Quantum 6's and he can make them sound REALLY good.
[/quote]

That's one reason why I bought the modulus, I used to have lessons off him, and fell in live with his bass :)

It's my mayones 6 string that I just bought that's had so many owners, I think my modulus has maybe only had one previous owner.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1385823620' post='2292575']
Perhaps people fancied trying a six-string but then quickly found that they had no real use for it.
[/quote]

I did this twice. I'd like to have the time to get good at making the most of the extra string but sadly it ain't happening with life as it is at the minute so it's fours and fives for me.

Maybe some day I'll manage to buy and keep one.

Even if people have what they consider to be the perfect bass they'll still imagine there's something better out there, sell their perfect bass, buy another bass, hate it, try to buy their bass back again... on and on it goes.

I know of one or two on here who have bought and sold the same bass several times over. Ask Clarky, he'll tell you. ;)

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1385823489' post='2292571']
While others have so few ?

I recently took possession of a rather nice 6 string bass. Can you have too many 6 string basses, I don't think so.

Anyway, the bass is 8 years old, and has had at least 6 previous owners, making me the 7th, which seems rather a lot in just 8 years.

I'm puzzled as to why, because there is really nothing wrong with the bass, it play great, has a nice low action, the pickups and electronics are amazing, and very uncoloured. She also looks great, so why has she been through so many hands ?
[/quote]
Does it have a logbook or some other registration document?

How on earth would anyone know how many owners a baas guitar has had?

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1385854052' post='2292992']
Does it have a logbook or some other registration document?

How on earth would anyone know how many owners a baas guitar has had?
[/quote]

I did a search on here in the sale section :D . Probably not an easy thing to do for the average P bass I guess, but when it's a one off bass it's quite easy. I found one posting on talkbass for what could be the 2nd owner, a guy in France, he later sold it on here.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1385854536' post='2292997']
I did a search on here in the sale section :D . Probably not an easy thing to do for the average P bass I guess, but when it's a one off bass it's quite easy. I found one posting on talkbass for what could be the 2nd owner, a guy in France, he later sold it on here.
[/quote]
That's amazing that you can trace it back to all it's owners. I salute you sir!

The only bass i have that i know the history of is my 1963 Vox Bassmaster which when i bought it a couple of years ago had only had one previous owner!

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1385857214' post='2293028']

That's amazing that you can trace it back to all it's owners. I salute you sir!

The only bass i have that i know the history of is my 1963 Vox Bassmaster which when i bought it a couple of years ago had only had one previous owner!
[/quote]

I did the same with another bass that I was offered in a trade. I discovered that it too had had quite e few previous owners, it had also been a fretted bass, then a fretless and had then been converted back to fretted, also and more importantly not once had it been sold for anywhere near what I was selling the bass for that the guy wanted to trade off me, you're talking £400 difference !

I often wonder this, whether it's a bass, amp for effect. If someone puts it up for sale, and you've seen it up several times that year, what's up with it? Is it a lemon?
I found the manual to a markbass effect a while back, so thought I'd send it to the chap I'd sold it to, but it turns out it had had at least two new owners since! Using the feedback and for sale forums, I found out that I was one of a chain of at least six BC owners. Perfectly good pedal.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1385879733' post='2293078']
I often wonder this, whether it's a bass, amp for effect. If someone puts it up for sale, and you've seen it up several times that year, what's up with it? Is it a lemon?
I found the manual to a markbass effect a while back, so thought I'd send it to the chap I'd sold it to, but it turns out it had had at least two new owners since! Using the feedback and for sale forums, I found out that I was one of a chain of at least six BC owners. Perfectly good pedal.
[/quote]

That's what concerned me about my new bass, but there's nothing wrong with it, and the previous owners have all been long standing members of this site.
I guess it's just the way it is with some instruments, they move around until they find the right owner :D .