Why become a member? ×

Why does my 4 string suddenly feel rubbish to play?

Greggo

Bit weird but over summer I swapped a bass for a Yamaha BB414 and once set up with new strings and all adjustments made was a wonderful instrument to play. However I've not been using it in the band as have been playing 5 string and is set up with lighter strings than the 4 string.

I went back to playing yamaha but of late it suddenly (for want of a better word) plays like ass. The action feels higher and strings tighter, A string has gone dead and generally is not as good to play. Tried lowering action a bit and now the strings feel a bit clicky on the frets so I've put it back.

What the hell has happened?

Is it because it feels crap compared to the 5 er or is it possibly related to the winter months kicking in and affecting instrument? It's been on a stand in spare room and I guess heating has been on low in that room.

I've checked relief and that seems to be the same, although I guess wouldn't hurt to maybe give a tweak to lower it a bit.

Edited by Greggo

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1385328235' post='2287040']
you've got used to the sound and feel of the other bass.
[/quote]

This.

I suffer from a similar issue if I own basses of different brands. I end up finding the other one, as you put it, 'ass' in comparison and move it on.

What was the five string?

5 string is a Vintage EST96, and is strung 40 - 125. Both basses 34 inch scale. Yup thinking it must be the difference from one to the other. Also the difference in string spacing from 4 to 5 has changed my perception of the comfort of the 4 perhaps.

Edited by Greggo

String spacing can be an issue. I have a Warwick rockbass corvette 5 string fretless with narrow string spacing. 40+ years bass playing with 19mm (Fender size) string spacing makes the Warwick a non starter, I just keep missing strings with right hand, despite lots of effort.

To be honest I think I'd rather just have one bass rather than waffling about with two, problem is I've got a 4 and a 5. If I play the 4 I miss the low B but then when I play 5 long enough I think I don't use the low B enough to justify a 5!

I probably just need to get used to yamaha again. I am planning on going down the flatwound route so thinking a set of 40 - 100 status hotwire on the yamaha.

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1385332929' post='2287161']
To be honest I think I'd rather just have one bass rather than waffling about with two, problem is I've got a 4 and a 5. If I play the 4 I miss the low B but then when I play 5 long enough I think I don't use the low B enough to justify a 5!

I probably just need to get used to yamaha again. I am planning on going down the flatwound route so thinking a set of 40 - 100 status hotwire on the yamaha.
[/quote]

I can relate to that. I'm migrating to five ATM. Just got my L-2500 Tribute playing the way I like. Jumping from 4-5 is pretty awkward.

I was owed some money by a client for radio microphones he had on long term hire and he offered a swap for a nearly new Jazz 5 string bass - I couldn't get the action as low as my old and much loved Peavy International 5 string, without lots of buzzing and fret noise, despite the neck being fine, and then I discovered the Fender suggested string height was nearly double what my Peavey can play at - my style meant I play quiet, and use more amp gain. I've now got used to the higher action and rather like it, because the tone is much brighter and twangier which suits my current band better. However, I can't go back because my Peavey now sounds dull and muffled. Play something different, and you stand a good chance of no longer liking the old one!

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1385332929' post='2287161']

[b]I probably just need to get used to yamaha again[/b]. I am planning on going down the flatwound route so thinking a set of 40 - 100 status hotwire on the yamaha.
[/quote]

You should never need to get used to a bass! If the 5 feels better, why not just keep that? Doesn't matter if you don't use the low B if it feels right!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1385335511' post='2287220']

You should never need to get used to a bass! If the 5 feels better, why not just keep that? Doesn't matter if you don't use the low B if it feels right!
[/quote]

I do like the sounds from both though to be fair. I've made a few adjustments to bass and managed to get it feeling /sounding good again.

I lowered saddles again and managed to get the sweet spot of being easy to fret but still a full tone so happy with it. I think also as the strings are fairly inexpensive legacy strings as they are wearing in they don't feel particularly nice on the fingers either which probably didn't help matters.