Why become a member? ×

3 finger technique

MacDaddy

[quote name='metalmaniac' post='54485' date='Sep 2 2007, 10:57 PM']IMO i-m-r-i-m-r... is very good for triplets but accents too much to keep a balanced 4 notes.. so im learning the method predominantly used by steve di giorgio which is i-m-r-m-i-m-r-m-i and so on...

[url="http://stevedigiorgio.com/bin/column.pdf"]http://stevedigiorgio.com/bin/column.pdf[/url][/quote]

For my triplets I use r-m-i as i-m-r just feels unnatural. I have been practicing going r-m-i-m-r-m-i etc for fast passages, and I can do it quite smoothly now. It was so difficult to get my fingers working that way at first!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='73378' date='Oct 12 2007, 03:07 PM']For my triplets I use r-m-i as i-m-r just feels unnatural. I have been practicing going r-m-i-m-r-m-i etc for fast passages, and I can do it quite smoothly now. It was so difficult to get my fingers working that way at first![/quote]

me too, but the fact i-m-r feels unnatural is why I'm practicing it now :)

• 1 year later...

Just going to bump this to ask a quick question.

If you play with three fingers, do you always run 4,3,2,4,3,2,4,3,2 etc. (or is that 3,2,1 - can never remember whether the thumb is counted on bass) or 4,3,2,3,4,3,2,3.4 etc.?

I tend to use a kind of floating thumb technique for muting (in the sense that I'm trying :))

Cheers.

Edited by Eight

Guest leebass69

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='23752' date='Jun 26 2007, 09:15 PM']I just wanted to share with the collective:

I've recently joined a new band, and one of the songs calls for demi-semi quavers throughout a lot of it. I'm a finger player and TBH was struggling with it a bit and consequently didn't like or enjoy playing it. I had been using just index and middle, but I started to involve the ring finger too, and after a lot of practice I've nailed it.
The 8 notes per beat are played r-m-i-r-m-i-r-m and the following note -i-
The most difficult part was avoiding the accents from the ring finger, when playing the 4th and 7th demi-semi quavers.
Anyway now I'm comfortable with it, I actually quite like playing it now :)

If anyone is interested pm me an email and I'll send you the demo I had to learn, so you can hear what I mean.[/quote]

Hey, I've only ever done 3 fingers from as far back as I can remember and yeah, a compressor definately helps you get a consistency due to ring fingers not being quite as long as the other two (generally!)
I had a block, a makeshift ramp put on my old bass as it really did help, there's no way to overpluck so you get a more fluid movement when you sweep over strings. On my present bass I've raised the pickups to just under the strings and I couldn't have it any other way now...

[quote name='Eight' post='509749' date='Jun 9 2009, 11:44 PM']Just going to bump this to ask a quick question.

If you play with three fingers, do you always run 4,3,2,4,3,2,4,3,2 etc. (or is that 3,2,1 - can never remember whether the thumb is counted on bass) or 4,3,2,3,4,3,2,3.4 etc.?

I tend to use a kind of floating thumb technique for muting (in the sense that I'm trying :))

Cheers.[/quote]

as the OP r-m-i-r-m-i-r-m-i but i'm trying to i-m-r. I also play a lot of i-r as the main fingers.

I usually use the two, but when I do use three it's RMI unless I'm also using my thumb in which case I go in the opposite direction ala Urb and Matt Garrison - TIMR or just TIM. I love the sound of 16th note funk lines played with thumb and index and am working on it at the moment.

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='25164' date='Jun 29 2007, 10:39 PM']I use it all the time, even for slow things. For me there's no real disadvantage, but I get so much more agility from it. I play ring-middle-index all the time.[/quote]
whenever i use just middle and index i feel like im gonna forget how to play with the ring finger :)

[quote name='51m0n' post='512177' date='Jun 12 2009, 02:53 PM']RMI

or

321 to you squire....

Oh and I just do 3 fingers at all times, not so much for speed (although it helps) as it just feels nicer (I'm a freak, just let it go alright....)[/quote]
haha same

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='23752' date='Jun 26 2007, 09:15 PM']I just wanted to share with the collective:

I've recently joined a new band, and one of the songs calls for demi-semi quavers throughout a lot of it. I'm a finger player and TBH was struggling with it a bit and consequently didn't like or enjoy playing it. I had been using just index and middle, but I started to involve the ring finger too, and after a lot of practice I've nailed it.
The 8 notes per beat are played r-m-i-r-m-i-r-m and the following note -i-
The most difficult part was avoiding the accents from the ring finger, when playing the 4th and 7th demi-semi quavers.
Anyway now I'm comfortable with it, I actually quite like playing it now :)

If anyone is interested pm me an email and I'll send you the demo I had to learn, so you can hear what I mean.[/quote]

Welcome, 3 fingers all the way mate!
Get some funny looks when you keep up with a galloping guitar whilst NOT using a pick! :rolleyes:

I can't do 16th notes your way though as they always sound like broken triplets due to the accent.
For 16ths I go:

r-m-i-m r-m-i-m

Works better on the brain. That's forwards and backwards.
Opens up a whole new world this eh? Yeah man, you can span them over 3 strings as well instead of 2 now!

[quote name='leebass69' post='513008' date='Jun 13 2009, 09:37 PM']a compressor definately helps you get a consistency due to ring fingers not being quite as long as the other two (generally!)[/quote]

Eh? My ring finger is longer than my index...erm...what is normal?
But it certainly whallops the strings if you ain't careful!

Edited by Kongo

Been RMI'ing for as long as I can remember and used to practice with
the 'William Tell Overture' (da-da-dum, da-da-dum, da-da-dum-dum-dum, etc)
and the Theme from 'Bonanza' (dum, da-da-dum, da-da-dum, da-da-dum, da-da-daaa-daaaaa, etc)
Now, how dum can you get? (Ok, don't answer that! :) )

[quote name='Kongo' post='521354' date='Jun 23 2009, 12:46 AM']Welcome, 3 fingers all the way mate!
Get some funny looks when you keep up with a galloping guitar whilst NOT using a pick! :)

I can't do 16th notes your way though as they always sound like broken triplets due to the accent.
For 16ths I go:

r-m-i-m r-m-i-m

Works better on the brain. That's forwards and backwards.
Opens up a whole new world this eh? Yeah man, you can span them over 3 strings as well instead of 2 now!

Eh? My ring finger is longer than my index...erm...what is normal?
But it certainly whallops the strings if you ain't careful![/quote]

I can't do them your way! Leading from the -i- is something I need to work on.

I've noticed that for straight forward pedalling i tend to use i-r-i-r- etc. For me it sounds more consistent, perhaps because my i and r, are closer in length?

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='522181' date='Jun 23 2009, 11:07 PM']I can't do them your way! Leading from the -i- is something I need to work on.

I've noticed that for straight forward pedalling i tend to use i-r-i-r- etc. For me it sounds more consistent, perhaps because my i and r, are closer in length?[/quote]

It didn't happen over night! I'm sure many bassists do it...I'd actually like some inspo on ones that do go forward and backwards as even Sheehan just goes RMI over and over.

I can't use middle and ring in two's though...Hmmm but now you've given me something to practise, it'll make them communicate even better when they are all going.
Adding the little finger is useless though...Plus your hand would move like a 3 legged donkey to do so!