Why become a member? ×

Paul at Maida Vale?

squire5

He took a bit of time to get warmed up but once he was singing in his higher register it wasn't that bad. As said before it is (oddly) the lower range stuff he seems to struggle with. He can still hit notes that I can't and has a well established top notch backing band who can fill in vocally when needed. If people still keep buying tickets in droves and if he still finds it fun then what's the issue? Latest album has some good stuff on it too. You never see him playing the ric any more though,wonder if he finds the full scale neck a bit of a stretch these days?

Edited by KevB

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1384730039' post='2280163']
Not derogatory at all but then again i think of Macca as just being a songwriter of a few decent tunes.
[/quote]

Kind of like saying that Christopher Columbus did a bit of sailing in his time :D .

And how many famous songs have you written ?

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1384731729' post='2280189']
Yeah, a few. :lol:

[i][color=#000000]Guinness World Records d[/color]escribed McCartney as the "most successful composer and recording artist of all time", with 60 gold discs and sales of over 100 million albums and 100 million singles, and as the "most successful songwriter" in United Kingdom chart history[/i].
[/quote]
Sorry that was my attempt at irony after 'Sinatra was just a crooner'.

Not to worry perhaps someone got it and had a chuckle to themselves. :rolleyes:

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1384769412' post='2280361']
Kind of like saying that Christopher Columbus did a bit of sailing in his time :D .
[/quote]
Indeed it is and if anyone said it they would probably be being ironic.

That's a bit like someone saying that Macca was just songwriter of a few decent tunes. Now where have i heard that before? Oh yeah, it was me...................being ironic. :rolleyes:

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1384713924' post='2279853']
I got the point, and it's a fair one, but it just highlights the difference in creative output between Sinatra (very little) and Macca (little short of astonishing). But Sinatra was just a crooner, so it's not really a fair comparison.

As an aside, all the 'Beatle haters' out there might be interested in this: ;)
[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03h6yrv"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b03h6yrv[/url]
[/quote]
thanks for that, really enjoyed it
[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1384632462' post='2279028']
yeah his voice has gone, interesting that he did Mr Kyte, a Lennon song, talking of Lennon wonder what his voice is like in some parallel universe where Macca was the one that got shot?
as you can see I'm a bit of a fan of what ifs?
[/quote]

But did anybody think,like I did that there was absolutely NO rapport between him, the 2 guitarists and Wix Wickens?Apart from 1 'almost' back to back with the lead player.As I said in my OP,Abe Laboriel got most of his attention,and if I'm not mistaken,seemed to be giving him a hand with his vocals by singing in unison with him.Between watching his hands AND his autocue,maybe he forgot to acknowledge the other 3.But hey,fair play to him for still going out and doing it at his age.Would have liked to be there.

[quote name='squire5' timestamp='1384947600' post='2282583']
But did anybody think,like I did that there was absolutely NO rapport between him, the 2 guitarists and Wix Wickens?Apart from 1 'almost' back to back with the lead player.As I said in my OP,Abe Laboriel got most of his attention,and if I'm not mistaken,seemed to be giving him a hand with his vocals by singing in unison with him.Between watching his hands AND his autocue,maybe he forgot to acknowledge the other 3.But hey,fair play to him for still going out and doing it at his age.Would have liked to be there.
[/quote]

Yes...I did.
Something not quite right. Not his usually happy self, but seeing that guy in the audience that thinks he's funny when he's the most "unfunny" bloke out there,...made me realise why.

[quote name='Colonel36' timestamp='1384969264' post='2282959']
Yes...I did.
Something not quite right. Not his usually happy self, but seeing that guy in the audience that thinks he's funny when he's the most "unfunny" bloke out there,...made me realise why.
[/quote]
I forgot that Rob Brydon was in the audience. :rolleyes:

I watched it and enjoyed the program... I am a huge Macca fan and I agree that his voice has lost much of its strength...It's weird that he makes it so hard upon himself. He was singing one of my favourite songs ("1985") and he couldn't get the high notes any more.. it was horrible and I was wondering why he sang that one while there are hundreds of other songs he can sing (I am a bit annoyed that he sings "Mr Kite", he's got plenty of good songs himself). In general the concert was better than I expected and the new songs are actually good (I've listened to the new album around 20 times now and the songs are really growing on me although I think the production sucks). I still think the ultimate line up was with Hamish Stuart, Robbie McIntosh and Chris Whitten on drums and I don't like the drumstyle Laboriel provides... The big difference with the old footage of Wings over America was striking... a powerful voice which could cope with anything (now he uses certain tricks to avoid painful notes (Band on the run)), that Rickenbacker bass which sounded a lot better than the Hofner (probably the whole Beatles image forces him to use the Hofner) and really good material. It's funny to compare the singer of the "New" album with the singer he used to be...