Why become a member? ×

My guitarist friend wrote.

AntLockyer

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1384352266' post='2275571']
"people don't realise that to play a bass properly is a lot more demanding than winging it on a guitar.. :)
[/quote]

True, but it is easier to wing it on bass than on guitar. :)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1384353571' post='2275594']
That's a musician that's wrote that, not a guitarist. :P

[/quote]

That's funny because the conversation was actually about when music becomes maths and specifically a [color=#4E5665]Dominant 9+11(b5).[/color]
He plays the guitar so nicely but has little to no knowledge of why or how it sounds good.

Edited by AntLockyer

In The Daves, our singer/sometimes 2nd guitarist had to play bass last year as I damaged my arm and he admitted that bass was a lot more difficult than playing guitar as he had to keep time constantly whereas on guitar long he had to hit the right notes in time, but not play them all the time. A big admission from someone who often states the bass "just goes boom in the background".

My bands vocalist did a stretch on bass with his uni band whilst we were on our year long break, so since coming back he has a new outlook on what i actually play and one of the EP songs has actually been written around the bass track, which is abnormal for us. It certainly helps having someone who's been there and done it. Our guitarist played bass for a few years before swapping to lead and getting me in.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1384358833' post='2275669']
That's funny because the conversation was actually about when music becomes maths and specifically a [color=#4E5665]Dominant 9+11(b5).[/color]
He plays the guitar so nicely but has little to no knowledge of why or how it sounds good.
[/quote]

Theory knowledge is a good thing to have, but it isn't always as important that someone knows why it works, but how to make it work. :)

I count myself incredibly fortunate that all of the musicians I play with are aware of the power that the bass can hold over the rest of an ensemble. It's not an ego thing, they respect me as much as I respect the fact that I can be made to sound good by what they all play on their respective instruments. As a bass player, I'll always need a band to sound great and I get a kick out of supporting other musicians.