Why become a member? ×

ned callan bass ?

kendow

It may be worth looking on the Shergold forum as there are a few experts there. This is similar to the one Mike Oldfield used for many years. They were originally a brand name for the custom maker Peter Cook. Endorsed by John Entwistle and later branded with the Shaftesbury name. These are a nice old UK made guitar nicknamed 'knobbly Neds' for obvious reasons - Entwistle referred to his as his 'jigsaw puzzle bass'!
I like it and if you ever want rid give me first dibs! :)

http://www.shergold.co.uk/forum/index.php

Entwistle -

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/bass/bassendorsements.html

Edited by ash

[quote name='lozbass' timestamp='1384268729' post='2274657']
Always wanted a Ned Callan after seeing one in a local shop in the mid '70s - an SG type shape. Great to see these old British basses still doing the rounds
[/quote]yep still plays and sounds ace it thumps

Nice and Rare!

Cody Bass.

When I did a feature on Peter Cook, in my blog, the "Neds" come up quite a bit in the interviews.
They liked the name, from the TV Series.
The "in joke" in the band Peter was in at the time was that they all called each "Ned"

Can I join the queue behind Ash???? :gas: :gas: :gas:

Cheers. :)

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1385302373' post='2286560']
Not sure what you mean by rare but if you're thinking of worth as in money it's like anything else, it's worth what anyone is prepared to pay for it.
[/quote]that is very true we live in a world of wants and needs lol?

[quote name='kendow' timestamp='1385296832' post='2286483']
thanks for the info found one ad but nowt else also found the shaftesbury link .i have a few other shaftys and this one caught my eye ?what would you say a rare bass like this would be worth ????
[/quote]
I Sold my Ned Callan Custom Bass on eBay in 2003 for £200. I hear that one sold last year for about the same price.

In today's Made in Korea/Made in China market, we look at a bass for a couple of hundred quid
and think that'll do me - when I get better, I'll get something a bit more special.

Things were different back then and for your £ in your pocket - a lot more painful.

Almost EVERYTHING back then, was, in real terms, a lot more than we pay now.

In todays money, the £165.00 listed in '75, would be £1173.35!!! OUCH.

Don't think it would realise anything like over a grand but the one you have looks nice enough
(well looked after) and not that many around - try and find another one like that.

I use this as an indicator - just to amuse myself.
[url="http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html"]http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html[/url]

Cheers. :)

• 6 years later...
2 hours ago, King Tut said:

Zombie thread resurrection - our guitarist is moving house and just found this that he'd forgotten about!

Love the "Turin Shroud" effect in the lid lining. Have to say it looks rather unappealing to me. How does it sound/play?

35 minutes ago, JottoSW1 said:

Love the "Turin Shroud" effect in the lid lining. Have to say it looks rather unappealing to me. How does it sound/play?

Del (Bromham) who owns it is well known for his use of Firebirds - that's what the case foam was cut for. Not had a chance to try it yet - it's still with Del. We start a tour on Tuesday so there's a good chance I'll be trying it soon!

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, FlatEric said:

Curious to know how you got on. :D

The Ned, as you know, is part of the Peter Cook legacy. You mentioned Firebirds - Del had a Peter Cook Firebird Twin Neck.

Couple of pics with Del, Six over Twelve. I have the other one, Twelve over Six.

Stray1.jpg

DelTwin.JPG

Wow - thanks for that. I'll pass this on to Del!