Why become a member? ×

The one that got away

Chris Sharman

I have been hung up for several years on a bass I had in my 6th form years and afterwards which I had to sell during a period of spectacular financial underachievement. The bass concerned was a Westone Thunder III with soapbar pickups and could produce the most amazingly wide ranging sounds that covered literally all of the music I did with various bands covering a wide range of genres.

Although I cannot afford it at moment I have declared to my (moderately understanding) wife that if I see one available in future and I have the necessary finances at hand I am having one.

I will always think of that bass as 'The One That Got Away'.

So, go on then, What was yours?

Modified Epiphone Les Paul Standard bass. Everyone knows the story around here, but a brief synopsis - black carved top body with cream binding, rosewood fingerboard with trapezoid inlays, black neck, black headstock with flowerpot inlay. 2x EMG-HB pickups, EMG-BQC 3 band EQ with mid sweep. Added pickup selector switch in the usual LP location. Black John East knobs.

The only one I have sold and missed. Contacted the guy I sold it to a while back and needless to say he's in no hurry to sell it back to me :(

1982 Fender-logo Squier JV Jazz. Featherweight, neck to die for, played as slick as deer guts on a doorknob.

Hesitated on the £450 price tag (all the money at the time even for a rare first issue), decided, went back... gooooooone.

Never forgotten that damn bass. Inconsolable, that's what I am.

3am is generally the worst. But I write poetry.

Rickenbacker 4001, sold locally on Ebay.

Failed to sell first time around, could have snapped it up for about £800, when a 4001 was (at the time) normally going for about £1500+.

It had recently been totally given a once-over by The Bass Gallery as well. Totally immaculate example.

Thing is, I just didn't have the cash....now I wish I'd found it from somewhere...... :([size=4] [/size]

Westone Raider I, in silver/grey.

It was my first bass and I adored it. I probably wouldn't own any other basses, wouldn't have even thought of it, if I hadn't had to sell it due to financial squeesation (I think I just invented that...) through no fault of my own.
I even miss the smell of its hardcase.

Edited by KingBollock

Pedulla MVP 4... pea-green. Been in the shop for years. Made a cash offer of £500 which was accepted. On way home, brakes failed in Ford Orion (not a pleasant experience on the M602). AA rescue and following repair, you guessed it, £500 so no MVP. :-(

It was a beaut' too - through-neck & P-J Barts.

Edited by visog

Hmmm, probably the 2008 stripped Precision that I sold last year. I took it in as a trade, then sold it but thinking back it was one of the nicest I`ve had and still consider contacting the buyer to see if I can get it back - as haven`t seen it for sale on here, at least.

My G&L L2500 Tribute. It was great, but I wrongly assumed it would be easy to replace. So I sold it to buy my stingray, the worst thing is that money wasn't the issue, I just wanted to keep the peace with my ex. I've tried loads of Tributes since and none of them were as good.

Ibanez Roadstar II bass, trans red, bird's eye maple top, I lost it, didn't get it stolen, or lend it to anybody, just cannot remember what the hell I did with it, or where I left it, if anyone in Plymouth found one around 1992, It's mine, give it back, please :)

I had a Welson Violin bass when I was in 6th Form back in the 70s which I got in a straight swap for a very tired Hofener 500/3. Like the OP I flogged it when I needed some money. I was going on holiday and I thought " oh I'll buy myself another one when I get back." I fi ally Vogt around to buying another bass this year!

It was the only violin bass I everyone's the look of and I have never seen a similar one since, despite countless Google searches. It had a sort of smokey sunburst finish and