Why become a member? ×

Have all the expensive basses been a waste of time?

leschirons

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1383403932' post='2264122']
I've been through the whole buying basses GAS thing and now am happy with a couple, ironically favouring a Squier. I think ultimately it's whatever works for you. If you want a £2k bass, go for it. I had a lot of fun buying kit (unnecessarily?) but am thankfully more settled now.
[/quote]

Seeing as you mention Squiers, where do Fenders ( and JV Series Squiers , for that matter) figure in the expensive bass debate ? The were conceived and initially manufactures as a mass -produced affordable but decent quality bass , but those modest basses are now considered "vintage" and have price tags to match that status . Are they a waste of money , considering that a good Fender-style bass still sounds good as anything to a lot of folks , including myself? And what about the fact that you can buy a Fender style bass that sounds authentic for relatively modest prices ? Is that the biggest reason why people think expensive basses are a waste? If you want something that sounds like a Wal or an Alembic you will struggle on a modest budget , but a current Squier or similar well-chosen Fender copy sounds highly reminiscent of a proper Fender . Even if high-end basses aren't neccesarilly waste of money , but that is not to say for one moment that less expensive or more straightforward basses are not neccesarilly worthwhile . The two things do not exclude each other.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1383397839' post='2264031']
It always worries me when people say this as I can always easily tell which bass I'm playing, even down to individuals of the same type of bass.
[/quote]

What's to worry about when people say this? So I don't have the finely tuned ears to differentiate between a 77 Jazz with a maple neck and an 81 thats got a rosewood neck but, I appreciate that some people do. If they find that abilty useful in defining their own sound, great.

I think what I've left out of my post is a couple of "to me" or "for me" It seems that some think I said, "all basses sound the same and that all expensive basses are a waste of time". I didn't. The post was about my experience of this situation and that it turned out (for me) that, in hindsight, there was no real benefit to my having spent many thousands of pounds on expensive instruments. The fact that I can't really tell the difference between basses on old recorded live tracks is probably due to my always seeking out a particular tone that I like. It very rarely varies due to how I play and how I set my amplification up. I know what I like and its my sound.

Regarding my comment about a £3000 bass won't make me practise more, it doesn't. I practise when I hit a wall and need to sort a particular problem, or learn new material, or improve on a part of my playing technique, or become more comfortable with stuff I already play and want to keep the chops up. Not because I can't wait to pick up a piece of Purple heart and flamed maple. The realisation is that fine instruments don't inspire me to play, the music does.

I fully understand that many players buy basses to get a particular sound, or a feel and playability to an instrument which will bring them nearer to what they are looking for and if it works for them, great. But, Marcus Miller would sound like Marcus Miller if he was playing a Chinese Squier through his normal amplification and I doubt if anyone would leave the gig because they thought his sound was terrible.

I don't doubt the experience of owning expensive basses was worthwhile as it allowed me to realise that I didn't really need them to achieve what a want to do musically. Again, this applies to me, and was never intended to be a a critique of the judgement of others who do buy, use and enjoy expensive instruments.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1383411889' post='2264228']

What's to worry about when people say this? So I don't have the finely tuned ears to differentiate between a 77 Jazz with a maple neck and an 81 thats got a rosewood neck but, I appreciate that some people do.

I fully understand that many players buy basses to get a particular sound, or a feel and playability to an instrument which will bring them nearer to what they are looking for and if it works for them, great. But, Marcus Miller would sound like Marcus Miller if he was playing a Chinese Squier through his normal amplification and I doubt if anyone would leave the gig because they thought his sound was terrible.

[/quote]

Wrong end of the stick mate. It worries me because I obviously have a huge anal streak. :-)

As for MM, I'd already have left the gig because I think his sound is always terrible. ;-)

Edited by 4000

On the subject of wasting money and disposable income , do you think that there is a forum for women about buying shoes and handbags ? Shoechat/ Bagchat? Do they argue l out over what height stiiletto heels should be , which cobbler does the best repairs and are Jimmy Choo worth the extra money over Top Shop? Show us your walking videos?

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1383582248' post='2266166']
On the subject of wasting money and disposable income , do you think that there is a forum for women about buying shoes and handbags ? Shoechat/ Bagchat? Do they argue l out over what height stiiletto heels should be , which cobbler does the best repairs and are Jimmy Choo worth the extra money over Top Shop? Show us your walking videos?
[/quote]

...but surely, they're all simply frivolities..? This is Basschat, where [i]important [/i]issues are discussed and resolved. Isn't it..? :rolleyes:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1383582614' post='2266172']
...but surely, they're all simply frivolities..? This is Basschat, where [i]important [/i]issues are discussed and resolved. Isn't it..? :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Well , I would say that at least with a bass you have got an asset with some long- term resale value , but apparently there is a growing market in secondhand designer bags and shoes , so what do I know?

Of course basses are more important than women's shoes and handbags .Anyone can get dressed up , but it takes real skill to play the bassline to Mustang Sally to an half drunk and disinterested audience in a backwater pub somewhere in the Home Counties on a Tuesday night in February.