Why become a member? ×

Gumtree Tyneside, P bass Custom Shop???

cd_david

I wouldn't buy a second hand Fender unless it came from someone very reliable. I tried to use this example to research on how to tell a genuine fender from a fake (e.g. relabelled Squier). Unlike, e.g., identifying fake Gibson LPs, there is much less information available. And the actual Fender forum seems to be fill of people also saying that they wouldn't buy (e.g.) a Fender Custom shop except from a reliable source. One thread I saw had a supposed genuine Fender with the neck removed. In the pocket the body said 'Allparts', and the neck said 'Mighty Mite'.

I note that the gumtree fender seems to have the 'fat' Squier headstock. And no stamped serial number that I can see, just a number as part of the decal. Are these the differences you see, or is there more?

The headstock is the wrong shape as you say, the decal looks like the lacquer underneath is a different colour, as if it had been sanded? The machine heads are the Chinese ones used by Squier and other budget brands, the pick guard is the wrong shape around the jack socket and doesn't run parallel to the bottom of the body which might not always be the case but just looks wrong and sets off alarm bells

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1383208889' post='2261460']

[/quote]

This is pretty much what she is attempting by adding a printed 'insurance quote' rather than a CS Certificate of Authenticity! To be honest, I'm surprised it's lasted this long without it being removed. A very obvious fake.

It costs £50 to get a written valuation from Harris Hire. http://www.harris-hire.co.uk/valuations.php

The letter mentions a Fender P-Bass, but of course it doesn't mean that Harris Hire has actually seen the bass. They also do telephone valuations, where I presume they'd accept any descriptions (such as that's a real Custom Shop bass) at face value.

Anyone want to email [email protected] and ask what they think? They are 'always happy to discuss any aspect of [their] business'.

it seems that this is where the valuation came from

[url="http://www.harris-hire.co.uk/valuations.php"]http://www.harris-hi.../valuations.php[/url]

would have expected that the valuation cert would give a few more details than it does, like the colour maybe, and the serial number, but the seller seems to have covered over most of the text.

M

Edit - beaten to it!

Edited by Matt P

I messaged the seller saying I was interested in the bass but wondered about the machine heads, the 70s serial number and the lack of case and candy, they replied saying they bought it off an emigrating friend and they had the same concerns so had the independent appraisal to put their mind at rest.

So it's all fine :)

Edited by cd_david