Why become a member? ×

Trading in my rig... Am I mad?

Damonjames

So I could use some advice here guys n gals. I have been playing hard rock/grunge/metal for ages now and absolutely love my current rig which is orange terror bass 1000 running through a matamp 610, it sounds HUGE!
But as my last band has just imploded, I really want to get out and try something different and get into playing more mainstream stuff and some funk (chilli peppers and jamiroquai kinda vibe) so am considering trading my rig for something a little cleaner and better eq'ed so maybe GK or mark bass.
I am looking at stingrays as I've always wanted one, and just concerned the baked in mid scoop that the terror bass is renowned for will take the sizzle out of the sound I want.
Please help!!!

Not considered that jack, fair point. The orange has that slightly coloured valve sound and I love it for the stuff I've been playing. I'm just wondering if something a little more clean and hi fi might be better.
I wouldn't turn my nose up to smaller lighter cabs either!

That's a great setup you have there. I had the TB500 for a while and yes I guess it could be regarded as more 'rock' oriented - but that's not to say that is it's only forte. I'd use your current gear with your new music styles first and see if it really doesn't do what you need, and that should give you an idea of what you do want/need. Take it from there.

Cheers

Geoff

Change of rig for a change of band? Yeah, been there, done that. Was it really, really required? Probably not, but it was fun to do anyway. GAS can be a cruel mistress, but sometimes she's just what you need.

As to the Terror's mid scoop killing the 'Ray sizzle I reckon it will accentuate it as I associate the Stingray's sizzle with its treble boost, certainly the 2 band ones.

You could look at getting some kind of pre-amp/pedal for the eq and set the OTB clean, that`s what I used to do - with a Sansamp. Or a change of valves would give you more clean headroom, then with the eq on the `Ray take it from there.

That said, I reckon a GK MB Fusion 500 would be a cracking amp for the sound you`re after.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1382799052' post='2256702']

That said, I reckon a GK MB Fusion 500 would be a cracking amp for the sound you`re after.
[/quote]

I know! Was thinking more of the 1001rb and a 410rbh and 115rbh, should give me fairly similar punch to what I have now.

It has ironically just occurred to me that there are NO artists I like the sound of that use orange (ducking for cover of the Geddy brigade) and at least half a dozen who use GK. The only reason I went with orange was because I couldn't afford ampeg!

Edited by Damonjames

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1382816913' post='2256981']
I know! Was thinking more of the 1001rb and a 410rbh and 115rbh, should give me fairly similar punch to what I have now.

It has ironically just occurred to me that there are NO artists I like the sound of that use orange (ducking for cover of the Geddy brigade) and at least half a dozen who use GK. The only reason I went with orange was because I couldn't afford ampeg!
[/quote]

That in itself sounds a good reason to check out GK. For years I seemed to avoid Precisions, and never got the tone I wanted, yet all my fave bassists use them. Kinda makes sense if your fave sounds come from a specific piece/brand to try and make it work for yourself. That`s gonna be a fairly heavy rig though, but am sure the sound will more than make up for it.

I'd suggest you keep the amp and get one of the Barefaced Super 12's that are in the For Sale section. That will make a flexible and great sounding rig for all sorts of music.

ps for a new bass I'd suggest a Lakland.

Edited by chris_b