Why become a member? ×

Strings that didn't impress you.

Dom in Dorset

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1384012488' post='2271908']
Thomastik flats, I really can't stand them. Everything I'd want about a flat wound string just isn't there and I found them 'uneven' sounding across the strings too. I know I'm in a minority with this one! I think a lot of other people can get on with them because of their lower tension but it's something I really didn't like about them. La Bella 760FL's are what I like in flats.

I never got on with DR's. Lowriders I found a little on the dull side and High Beams were okay, but not worth the price. I'm yet to try Sunbeams yet but unless they completely trounce D'Addario Nickels then they won't be worth it either. D'Addarios are still my favourite round but they just don't last for more than 2 gigs with me!
[/quote]

I find DR Sunbeams to be far better than D'Addario's, but they are twice the price. They are lower tension, smoother, and if like me, you like the sound of a played-in string (which I suspect you don't if you change strings every two gigs), they just stay in that sweet spot for ages before dying. I seem to get a bit more punch from my amp when I use them. I usually only use Sunbeams, Fender Nickels, or D'Addario Nickels depending on how desperately I need them and how skint I am.

I have just bought a set of the balanced tension nickel D'Addario's that I'm looking forward to trying- the floppy E-string problem is no more I hope!

I heard Fender Nickels and D'Addario's are basically the same string? The local music shop tells me both are made on the same production line in the same factory. No idea if it's true, but would be interesting considering some on the thread seem to like D'Addario and not Fender. I've always found them to sound fairly similar.

I once bought a set of Stagg strings because I was desperate, and took them off after one rehearsal- I could hear and feel the core rattling around inside the winding. Never again.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1384027227' post='2272154']
I find DR Sunbeams to be far better than D'Addario's, but they are twice the price. They are lower tension, smoother, and if like me, you like the sound of a played-in string (which I suspect you don't if you change strings every two gigs), they just stay in that sweet spot for ages before dying. I seem to get a bit more punch from my amp when I use them. I usually only use Sunbeams, Fender Nickels, or D'Addario Nickels depending on how desperately I need them and how skint I am.

I have just bought a set of the balanced tension nickel D'Addario's that I'm looking forward to trying- the floppy E-string problem is no more I hope!

I heard Fender Nickels and D'Addario's are basically the same string? The local music shop tells me both are made on the same production line in the same factory. No idea if it's true, but would be interesting considering some on the thread seem to like D'Addario and not Fender. I've always found them to sound fairly similar.

I once bought a set of Stagg strings because I was desperate, and took them off after one rehearsal- I could hear and feel the core rattling around inside the winding. Never again.
[/quote]

Cool, I'll give Sunbeams a punt! It was mentioned earlier in the thread that D'Addario make Fender strings but they aren't just repackaged D'Addario strings. I bought a set of the new Fender strings over the summer and the difference was there for someone who's been a longtime D'Addario user. I guess if you are too you might find the same. Still not terrible strings by any stretch of the imagination, just not the same IMO.

Roto swingbass.....felt like playing 4 rat tail metal files they were so rough.

I'm stuck in a rut at the moment in that i like fender 7250 super bass nickles....not a very trendy string but feel and work fine for me. I should try something different as the best is only what you know.

ps there is/was a very long thread on tb as to who made fender strings.....i thought after all the rumours/red herrings/bloke down pub-shop posts that fender do make strings afterall?

Edited by iconic

GHS bass boomers: lifeless and anonymous. They would be good for spies I guess: nobody will notice you :)
Labella Supersteps: great sound, but short life and starts having intonation issues as it ages (rapidely)
Elixirs: disentagrating dirty coating sticking out everywhere disgusts me way too much.
D'addario Chromes: unconsistent tone from G to E (over-bright G to dull E). I find Fender flats much better in this regard.
DR Neons: I hate their feel under the fingers.

Over the years I settled to Fender strings: cheap, dependable and giving me the sound I like. I really wanted to hate Fenders, tried them all and liked them in the end...

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1384159867' post='2273245']
ps there is/was a very long thread on tb as to who made fender strings.....i thought after all the rumours/red herrings/bloke down pub-shop posts that fender do make strings afterall?
[/quote]

The guy responsible for new Fender strings lineup development posted on Talkbass. They are definitely made by D'addario but the specs came from him personnally (Fender).

Edited by DolganoFF

[quote name='DolganoFF' timestamp='1384352129' post='2275565']

The guy responsible for new Fender strings lineup development posted on Talkbass. They are definitely made by D'addario but the specs came from him personnally (Fender).
[/quote]

never saw that post....the last one i saw fender has built a new factory for string production!

Thats the tb for you.

Thomastik Infeld flatwounds... Many are lyrical about it... I find them horrendously overpriced rubber bands...
And the new Fender 9050's... They feel like D'Addario (because they're made in the same factory?), I liked the older, HEAVY tension, very tough ones better)

Edited by MrFingers

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1384366250' post='2275787']

never saw that post....the last one i saw fender has built a new factory for string production!

Thats the tb for you.
[/quote]

People post so much there, it is easy to overlook anything. Any piece of useful information can be drowned by "conventional wisdom"....

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1382792082' post='2256605']
Incidentally, has anyone ever tried the TI roundwounds? If so, what are your thoughts on them?[/quote]

I have, the guage is so light that they felt totally strange! Very very light to play. I couldn't really comment on the sound as I took them off after a few hours as I couldn't get on with them at all. I usually play TI Flats btw.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1384028955' post='2272170']

Cool, I'll give Sunbeams a punt! It was mentioned earlier in the thread that D'Addario make Fender strings but they aren't just repackaged D'Addario strings. I bought a set of the new Fender strings over the summer and the difference was there for someone who's been a longtime D'Addario user. I guess if you are too you might find the same. Still not terrible strings by any stretch of the imagination, just not the same IMO.
[/quote]

Beware of fake sets of DR sunbeams on eBay. I bought a set a while back, I think I was restricted to phone access at the time so it was easier than logging on to stringbusters. Dud E-string straight out the box, felt lifeless, packaging looked like a cheap scanned copy, didn't even seem like they were nickel. All strings went dead in a couple weeks. UK seller but they turned up from Poland.

If you like the sound of a played-in string I find sunbeams (genuine ones...) have been best for me personally.

[quote name='DolganoFF' timestamp='1384351984' post='2275560']
GHS bass boomers: lifeless and anonymous. They would be good for spies I guess: nobody will notice you :)
[/quote]

I actually really like these. I mainly use Overwater lights now which I swear are the same strings as they sound similar and have the same drop-off rate of brightness. I find on my basses they have an overly sharp zing that dies off quickly and then settle in the sweet post (for me) for a long time before falling off dead. I don't like over-zingy strings though so maybe what you don't like about them is what I love about them! How do the Fenders compare against them? Are they brighter for longer? Do they give you more cutting mids? I've never tried them and at least one of my basses needs restringing soon... :)

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1384454896' post='2276989']
I actually really like these. I mainly use Overwater lights now which I swear are the same strings as they sound similar and have the same drop-off rate of brightness. I find on my basses they have an overly sharp zing that dies off quickly and then settle in the sweet post (for me) for a long time before falling off dead. I don't like over-zingy strings though so maybe what you don't like about them is what I love about them! How do the Fenders compare against them? Are they brighter for longer? Do they give you more cutting mids? I've never tried them and at least one of my basses needs restringing soon... :)
[/quote]

I know that GHS make Overwater's strings for them , ( as well as many other companies strings , besides), so maybe they are essentially the same string after all .

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1384454896' post='2276989']

[/quote]

Yeah, definitely brighter and staying bright longer as you say. More cutting mids - dont know, maybe.

Any bets on every single string set on the market being named in this thread? :)

To be honest, re: DR strings, I haven't actually tried the Sunbeams so I may give them a go before writing DR strings off as too expensive :)

Speaking of strings, this thread has just inspired me to ge through my string box and do some tidying up . As a result , I have realised that I have got several sets of brand new strings that I will never use now for one reason or another , so I am going to sell them all for an incredibly reasonable price here on Basschat . I need to get them sorted out and buy some jiffy bags to post them ect , but there are at least three brand new sets of Lakland stainless steel roundwounds gauged 45-105 , a set of DR Sumbeams 45-105, a couple of sets of Fender nickel and a set of D'Addario XL's that I got two days ago . All the strings are brand new with a maximum of an hours playing time , but mostly about ten minutes use unti once again l I realise I have wasted more money on strings I don't like , and they are all cut for a strings- thru- body Fender- style bass. It will take me a while to get organised enough to post them , but if anyone wants first refusal on anything mentioned , drop me a P.M . Doubtless , when I sell them I will then spend that money on more strings I don't like very much and keep this thread going .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1384455171' post='2276998']
I know that GHS make Overwater's strings for them , ( as well as many other companies strings , besides), so maybe they are essentially the same string after all .
[/quote]

I've just gotten a pack of Overwater string today and they have Made in UK on them if that helps place the factory they're made in. Heh, kinda does place it really, it's in the UK! I meant, if GHS have a factory in the UK that would corroborate.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1384457049' post='2277027']
I've just gotten a pack of Overwater string today and they have Made in UK on them if that helps place the factory they're made in. Heh, kinda does place it really, it's in the UK! I meant, if GHS have a factory in the UK that would corroborate.
[/quote]

They must have changed supplier at some point then , because they were [u]definitely[/u] made by GHS when they first introduced them back in the late 1990's .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1384457545' post='2277038']
They must have changed supplier at some point then , because they were [u]definitely[/u] made by GHS when they first introduced them back in the late 1990's .
[/quote]
According to web sources Overwater refreshed their line of strings in 2011 - that could be a change from GHS to one of the UK manufacturers.

D'Addario seem to come out of this pretty much unscathed.
These at £13 a set do the job for me :
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAddario-EXL165-Bass-Guitar-Strings-45-105-Bass-Strings-/231085511981?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item35cdc5152d"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAddario-EXL165-Bass-Guitar-Strings-45-105-Bass-Strings-/231085511981?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item35cdc5152d[/url]