Why become a member? ×

Been sacked!

Phil Adams

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1382709460' post='2255742']

I've been fired for 'not having long hair', when in reality it was to get someone's mate in (who then cut their hair short!)

[/quote]

I didn't get a gig once, on the grounds that 'so and so has really good gear'. At the time I was using Markbass and EBS gear that was easily the equal of drummer's mate's epic Trace stack but only 1/3rd the size and weight. It turned out to be the right decision all round though, with hindsight I could never have worked with said drummer nor he with me.

I did get the DCM (Don't Come Monday!) from a C&W job once, guitarist and I decided the reggae version of 'Help Me Make It Through the Night' was more interesting and relevant. Singer/Bandleader didn't agree!

Usually all this stuff happens for a reason and the reason is often that there's something better waiting round the next corner, as others have said. In the words of the immortal Thomas Waller, "Son, don't let it bother you!"

Thanks again you wonderful supportive bunch of chums.
Sadly the fishing is on hold whilst I sort out some mechanical problems at work. A friend of mine is on the Thames near Richmond and reckons he's sat there in a Tee Shirt. Sounds good to me, and not a backstabbing guitarist in sight!

Being sacked ( by e-mail or text ) is pretty cr@p at the best of times , even if the band is going no-where.

I would not reply to the e-mail , or just a short acknowledgement of receipt of the e-mail is all that is required .
Just enjoy the fishing and keep an eye out for the next musical opportunity , as Lance Mountain said " if you can do the work , there is always a job out there for you "

Best Wishes .

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1382605655' post='2254167']
It's when I read a thread like this that I realise how lucky I am to still be playing with folks I've known for over twenty years.
[/quote]... until recently I might have agreed with you, but just at the mo I'm not so sure. Think I may need to get the bolt gun and give it the last rites :(

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1382806544' post='2256816']
From your initial thread title, I thought you had been sacked from your actual job - so it could have been worse.
[/quote]

Yes, see what you mean. It all seemed pretty terminal on wednesday, but now I don't give a damn. My replacement is by all accounts a pretty competent player, but also has a reputation of throwing toys. Good luck to 'em.

If they weren't man enough to say it to you face then they have no valid reason to dump you, hence hiding behind the cowardly email, 2 to 1 a mate of theirs joins soon.

Like most have said it' will turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Chin up mate, onwards and upwards!

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1382811254' post='2256901']
Yes, see what you mean. It all seemed pretty terminal on wednesday, but now I don't give a damn. My replacement is by all accounts a pretty competent player, but also has a reputation of throwing toys. Good luck to 'em.
[/quote]

Guess what band are advertising for a bass player...... Hardy Harrrrrr.

On the counter side, I had to sack our original drummer a couple of years ago. Made it worse because we were all friends, and knew each other socially, and he was the guy that originally brought us all together as a band. However, his timing was getting progressively worse, and he only knew 11 on the volume scale - the latter was causing us to lose out on bookings.

So, after an outdoor summer charity event, where he had pretty much sealed his fate after a particularly appalling attempt at drumming (Animals by Nickelback was the most cringe-worthy moment), enough was enough. However the rest of the band sodded off, leaving it to me - I wasn't impressed. I was friendly, honest and open with him and explained the situation - I would never do it any other way. I felt awful though.

His first words to me afterwards were: 'I'm surprised I lasted this long, to be honest', at which we both laughed. I gave him a lift home afterwards.

We are still friends and see each other around, and I've gone to watch his new band.

It's never a good thing.

Hope you sort something else soon.