Why become a member? ×

MarkBass LMII owners

Ou7shined

I have to say I would never buy anything from an Ebay listing like this. A generic pic of any old amp, not actual pictures of the item you're buying, and a description lifted from Markbass themselves or an online retailer, not an actual, detailed description of the item for sale. With this listing you've only got their word for it that it's immaculate. I'd say it was a dodgy listing from the word go. I know this isn't much help in the current situation, but for future reference it's unwise to part with that much cash on the strength of a listing like this IMHO. He sounds like a git, and for that reason alone I hope it works out for you.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='226104' date='Jun 24 2008, 06:40 PM']I think as well the description that the seller has lifted from the Markbass site (or wherever) is not a description of a LMII.

Looks more like an SD800: e.g. 750 watts @ 4 Ohms.

So that must go in your favour in a dispute, I would have thought.[/quote]
Oh yeah. :) Well spotted. I think that I'd read the spec so many times on various sites over the days preceding the auction that I just glossed over it here. Shame I've already submitted the dispute but if I get the chance again I'll include this too. Cheers.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='226116' date='Jun 24 2008, 07:06 PM']I have to say I would never buy anything from an Ebay listing like this. A generic pic of any old amp, not actual pictures of the item you're buying, and a description lifted from Markbass themselves or an online retailer, not an actual, detailed description of the item for sale. With this listing you've only got their word for it that it's immaculate. I'd say it was a dodgy listing from the word go. I know this isn't much help in the current situation, but for future reference it's unwise to part with that much cash on the strength of a listing like this IMHO. He sounds like a git, and for that reason alone I hope it works out for you.[/quote]
You're absolutely right and normally I'd be as discerning too.
However in my defence (such that it is) I'd been GASing for one of these and when one finally came up on the bay I kind of lost my head a bit. Of course I checked out his fb etc and he seemed kosher enough. I mean what could go wrong? If it turned out to be a pig all I've got to do is return it... right? :)

Just read this whole thread…unlucky mate. As others have said, I’d raise an issue about the guy’s attitude to start with, and he is very abrupt and sketchy when you’ve been asking about the serial. The guy sounds like a complete c*** to be honest – how can he write a listing that starts with “Markbass Little Mark II - Bass Amp Head Immaculate Condition with carry case..” when he clearly knows it’s a massive fabrication of the truth and he’s lying.
Have you got an update on the situation anyway? For me, this is just another example of why people should avoid ebay about as much as having unprotected sex with a Thai hooker. Hope it all works out for you though mate :)

I opened a dispute as he challenged and since then his emails have dried up. I composed a couple of emails along the lines of "not such a big man now eh?" to try and coax him into replying but when I read them back I wasn't happy with how I sounded so I deleted them. Not being good at confrontation and arguing I just can't find the proper words to say. Ebay have given me a semi exclusive number to call for advice but I don't know how long to leave it before getting in touch with them. I think it's fairly obvious he's going to be a dick and hold out as long as possible. I'm willing to take it to whatever extremes too now.

If he doesn't repond - it'll automatically go in your favour.

I hope it will be decided in your favour. If the procedure is fair it will be as

[list=1]
[*]The Condition was clearly misrepresented. Immaculate does not mean it has a few knocks & scratches.
[*]The missing serial number is very fishy - as is his story about it. It should be up to him now to prove that the story he gave is true by giving a full provenance of the amp's history, to explain the lack of a serial no.
[/list]

Here's an update to our conversation.
It's a bit long but worth it for the comedy value alone.... (or how some people think they're completely right when they are plainly wrong)
As always no edits.
[b]him[/b]
[quote]I have recieved a dispute notice from ebay regarding our transaction.. we could have resolve this issue if you had sent me your phone number as i asked but you refused to do this and make threats and fales acusations, which had left me to respond in accordance..so if you want to sort this out ASAP call me as I dont spend most of my time on the internet as i travel freqently i am in wales at present and will be off to portugal on sunday 29th...so call me or send your number so we can resolve this! ..... 07976 ******..[/quote]Ah so that explains his attitude. It's my fault! I wonder if his bad spelling is my fault too. :huh:

[b]me[/b]
[quote]You sound surprised but it was you that actually challenged me to initiate the process. ???

You seem very put out by all this but remember all I did was enter into a legally binding transaction on the basis of your description. Up to now you have been less than helpful in resolving the situation, consequently I am now fully prepared to take whatever means at my disposal to see this to conclusion.

I'm not sure why you insist on requesting my phone number. What we need to do here can be sorted out quite easily through the correct channels and given that you feel I have made "threats and false accusations" I think it best for us both if everything be kept in writing anyway.

You say that you are "a consistent ebayer", I take it that you are saying that you are a good ebayer with a good record. Why then, before we take this any further, don't you stand by this and simply accept the return? In all honesty given the case that's built up against the auction it would be pointless not to. You said that entering into the return/refund process would be a waste of your time, the truth is that if you had already done this all this would have been out of the way by now and far less time would have been wasted.[/quote]Yes I know it's patronising and skirts some big issues but I wanted to remain as impersonal and truthful as possible while not aggravating him any further.

[b]him[/b]
[quote]The simple reason for wanting your number is to "communicate"

I looked at the posting and the description for the item where it states the Amp was "used" and it is your responsibility to communicate with me for further details regarding the item. The Amp is in immaculate condition regarding its usage and a couple of minor scratches, and It has never done a gig!..

Ok! look I will be away until the 6th of July so you can send the item back to me, I will email you ASA I get back!![/quote]So apparently "immaculate" encompasses a multitude of meanings including "not having been gigged" and only pertains to the way it was used rather than it's physical condition. How silly of me to have accepted the general meaning and not to have emailed him for his unique definition of the listing prior to bidding. I guess he really IS into communication. :huh:

Result though. :huh:
Now all I have to do is wait a week until he's spent my money in Portugal then denies ever having received the amp back from me. Perfect.:)

• 2 weeks later...

To bring yiz up to speed - he's agreed to the return/refund and [u]finally[/u] given me his address. He even apologised for the.... ahem... "misunderstanding". I've got it all boxed up mega securely (in the carry case, 2 layers of bubble wrap and half a yellow pages for extra packing) for the courier to pick up tomorrow - guaranteed next day delivery. I asked a couple of times if he'd sell me the carry case but he completely blanked my requests. :)

Wow, what a pain in the arse! Hope this whole sorry episode is going to be sorted for you now mate- don't forget to keep checking the gear sections in here for 2nd-hand LMII's, 'cos they do turn up- I just bought my own off Flanker in this very forum last week, and it's a beaut!

Good luck!

Etienne :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='228843' date='Jun 29 2008, 02:29 AM']So apparently "immaculate" encompasses a multitude of meanings including "not having been gigged"[/quote]

Comical - Under that definition of “immaculate”, I have an immaculate Carlsbro Cobra 90 bass combo that’s never been gigged…did I mention that I took a 24lb sledge hammer to it and it’s now in a few hundred bits?

[quote name='Etienne' post='236467' date='Jul 10 2008, 01:10 PM']Wow, what a pain in the arse! Hope this whole sorry episode is going to be sorted for you now mate- don't forget to keep checking the gear sections in here for 2nd-hand LMII's, 'cos they do turn up- I just bought my own off Flanker in this very forum last week, and it's a beaut!

Good luck!

Etienne :huh:[/quote]
Cheers Etienne.
The courier collected it early this morning. I hope it's all over now too. (I just have to wait for the refund now. I wonder what joys that'll bring.)

In a way I miss that wee amp. So... to fill the space on top of my cab and to ease my bereavement I (rather impetuously) went and bought a brand new one.... for almost exactly what I paid for that dodgy used one. :brow:
Although I am now minus the carry case, I'll have a warranty and piece of mind.

I'm now looking for a new carry case but they're not as thick on the ground in this country as the amps are. Maybe a bunch of us LMII/250 owners should cub together and get a job lot and save on postage. :)

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='236484' date='Jul 10 2008, 01:23 PM']Comical - Under that definition of “immaculate”, I have an immaculate Carlsbro Cobra 90 bass combo that’s never been gigged…did I mention that I took a 24lb sledge hammer to it and it’s now in a few hundred bits?[/quote]

Bought my case from Italy before I realised Thomann had them cheaper.

If you can get around the postage by ordering over their threshold, they do seem to be the cheapest.

The cases do protect the amp, mine never leaves it and contrary to some comments I have seen elsewhere, despite having holes on the bottom for ventilation, rain will not get in unless it bounces 4 ft up from the pavement!

Yeah I had concerns about rain etc. when I first saw the holes but then I looked at it laterally and realised that it wasn't a rucksack with holes in, it was in fact a perfectly fitted padded cover with extremely handy straps on it. Which is probably the progression the bag underwent in development anyway.

Besides it wouldn't be too difficult to knock together some kind of elasticated "shower cap" if you had big concerns about it.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='236543' date='Jul 10 2008, 02:07 PM']Bought my case from Italy before I realised Thomann had them cheaper.

If you can get around the postage by ordering over their threshold, they do seem to be the cheapest.

The cases do protect the amp, mine never leaves it and contrary to some comments I have seen elsewhere, despite having holes on the bottom for ventilation, rain will not get in unless it bounces 4 ft up from the pavement![/quote]

the comments you talk about are probably
1. from me amongst others and
2. related to the bigger, SA450 bag only because that has holes at BOTH ends and so there is no need for the rain to bounce ;-)

Edited by dave_bass5

Ok here we go... I paid him with PayPal.

email last night
[quote]Great it has arrived can i send you a cheque by post will be with you on monday can i have the name to go on the cheque and your address ?[/quote]
:)
I respectfully told him what to do with his cheque. :huh:

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='237789' date='Jul 12 2008, 07:55 AM']Ok here we go... I paid him with PayPal.

email last night

:)
I respectfully told him what to do with his cheque. :huh:[/quote]
This guy is a complete twat really ain't he? You're doing the right thing by going through the proper channals on this. Hope you get it resolved ASAP mate!!

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='236566' date='Jul 10 2008, 02:40 PM']the comments you talk about are probably
1. from me amongst others and
2. related to the bigger, SA450 bag only because that has holes at BOTH ends and so there is no need for the rain to bounce ;-)

[/quote]

Can't believe that! As above, have seen it mentioned for the smaller LMII bag where it is not an issue either!

Edited by yorks5stringer

I have just read this whole thread and now feel so relieved. I have just been outbid on this same amp I believe, on Ebay this evening, by £10! The auction ended tonight. I was absolutely gutted that I'd missed it, but now I can't tell you how pleased I am that I checked out this thread. Any how, I hope you get your money back ok. Good luck!

Thanks, it may soon be over. Glad you don't feel so bad for missing out on it now.
Perhaps you should have a look [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=23487"]here[/url]. A bargain by the looks of it. :)

Oops I didn't see that he's already been PM'd. soz :blush: you might get second dibs.

Edited by Ou7shined