Why become a member? ×

Behind the beat - is this the reason?

Jazzneck

Been playing bluesy stuff for many more years than I care to remember.
The other day I was playing along with Jimmy Rogers "Chicago Bound" album on my Pbass - no problem.
My young nephew then asked me to try his upright so I tried playing along with that.
I found I was further behind the beat and struggled big time to get in time with Willie Dixon - I'd got the notes, but I was lagging further behind than when playing the bass guitar.

This confuses me but I recall a Clarky comment at the SE Bass Bash which was along the lines of "....on a double bass, the note blooms....."

Is this the reason that Double Bass players, even when they play electric horizontal basses (probably unconciously compensating their style as well), sound as if they are a gnats cock behind the beat and give that wonderful swinging, shufflin' feel to the music?
Is it the "blooming" of the note that does it?

A major part of the drive of the sound of DB comes from the development of the note, so the thud of striking the string has to be up front to get the developed note into position in the beat as it were.
Sounds technical but actually it just comes naturally if you want to lock in with the cymbals.
Well it comes naturally to some ;)
Nothing worse than a saggy draggy feel

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1382517260' post='2253005']...if you want to lock in with the cymbals.
[/quote]

...and just to complicate things further, some cymbals need 'building up' too to get the beat going..! Some respond quickly, some can 'drag', so anticipation is required on the part of the drummer. When it's all working, it's fine. When it's not... :o 'Taint always easy..!

It can be grim to sit down with a metronome for the first time trying to playing in time on the DB ...but well worth doing! . In terms of the note rising a lot depends where you pluck and which part of the the finger(s) you use. If you use the side of the finger and play at the end of the fingerboard the delay will be maxed out and its a matter of getting used to playing slightly ahead of the beat ( common with jazz players and rockabilly) . Playing with alternating Bass Guitar finger style still gives a bit of delay but if you play in the middle of the finger board with the very tips or fingernail ( very much an orchestral technique ), theres no delay. The following hopefully says the above but more eloquently !

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaGhL-3ctOc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaGhL-3ctOc[/url]

As a DB player its a matter of being versatile our conductor in the Orchestra is forever saying in one venue where we practice that the basses are late but never in the other venue that we rehearse in - seems to be to do with the sound waves and the shape of the room. :D

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1382517260' post='2253005']
A major part of the drive of the sound of DB comes from the development of the note, so the thud of striking the string has to be up front to get the developed note into position in the beat as it were.
Sounds technical but actually it just comes naturally if you want to lock in with the cymbals.
[/quote]

So true, which is why I tend to play too far in front when I go from DB to EUB.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1382529213' post='2253203'] [size=4]I believe something of the same vane was said by UK session Drummer Clem Cattini.[/size] He was asked what he would like [size=4]to hear in his cans (on a session)[/size] His reply...... "The Strings a bit earlier......please" :lol:[size=4] [/size] [/quote]
Brilliant!