Why become a member? ×

Using other instruments.

Horizontalste

Generally, to work a song out I'll find the common tone then using the circle of fifths I'll figure out the key & chords. I do all of this with a bass in hand. Recently I've been considering using a small keyboard to look at the chords in order to give a better understanding of chord quality rather than relying on the roots.
Just wondered what others think really, is it a waste of time or a valuable tool to have in the box?

We do have guitars in the house but there ain't no way, no way I'll be seen with one of them.

I've been learning a lot of stuff by ear for a new band.... songwriters have a habit or writing stuff which doesn't conform to any recognized mode structure - so you may work out its in G then you'll be happily playing along and they will throw in a random unrelated chord and your melody dies...

Every musician should play some piano and some drums. Every musician should have an understanding of chords, theory and rhythm. Every bass player should play some guitar since it's a sister instrument, and especially since any guitar player could play some basic functional bass, so every bass player should be able to play some basic functional guitar.

There is no way it can hurt and no way it can't help.

But wait...I'm sure they'll be someone who comes up with some excuse for that not being the case.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1382023379' post='2246809']
Every musician should play some piano and some drums. Every musician should have an understanding of chords, theory and rhythm. Every bass player should play some guitar since it's a sister instrument, and especially since any guitar player could play some basic functional bass, so every bass player should be able to play some basic functional guitar.

There is no way it can hurt and no way it can't help.

But wait...I'm sure they'll be someone who comes up with some excuse for that not being the case.
[/quote]

You know, we're going to agree on this one. :)
Surely nobody can argue with that?

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1382023379' post='2246809']
Every musician should play some drums.
[/quote]
never going to happen, It took me years to be able to rub my tummy and tap my head.....getting my arms and legs bashing out rhythms on a kit just ain't gonna happen EVER...

Filling in for a band on guitar at the moment and the singer has decided he wants to do Black magic woman. So I handed him my Tele and said "Best you start practising then" Apparently it doesn't sound "that hard" I have to keep explaining that I play bass not guitar and that it's too small, has too many strings and the B is in the wrong place..

You don't need to play legit piano to play some keyboards and/or use them to figure things out.

And there are lots of reasons for not playing guitar or drums but you will forever struggle to communicate ideas to guitarists and drummers, or be able to create, perform or record such parts, even using midi software. These days that puts you at a pretty severe deficit.