Why become a member? ×

Orange Bass Terror Repair

waynepunkdude

Check the track on both sides, it's not always obvious when it goes, check it with a multimeter if you have one. Get rid of any carbon on the board (just scratch it off with a screwdriver), are you sure you've got the right value, it won't necessarily be the same as the one next to it.

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1381695290' post='2242554']
Check the track on both sides, it's not always obvious when it goes, check it with a multimeter if you have one. Get rid of any carbon on the board (just scratch it off with a screwdriver), are you sure you've got the right value, it won't necessarily be the same as the one next to it.
[/quote]

Sure about the value as I have the wrap that was around it, I won't do it my self though, I'll take it to my tech.

Pretty impressive effort. The pic is superb, I will use that with my students, just reminding them about polarised caps. Much good advice above, hopefully simple replacement will result in good to go amp. Hope all ends well. As an afterthought, you can get nonpolarised electrolytic capacitors. These will not be terminated by incorrect connection. Whether the values you want are available is another matter.

Think a run of these used to do that, the pic is sort of familiar. With electrolytics, you can up the voltage valve if it will fit in to be more durable, you can also up capacitance a bit and it won't do harm, opens up replacement options some.

Same one went here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/orange-terror-bass-500-exploded-917680/

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1381755672' post='2243162']
By the looks of it, the lead I used reversed the polarity.
[/quote]
That would just make the speaker go in the other direction with regards to the voltage swing. Electrolytic capacitors aren't going to be very closely related to the output jack, going to be via a transistor at least, so killing the cap would require killing the transistor on the way. Looks much more like the known issue with a generation of Orange Terrors, the later ones with the gain control that works without valve swapping are supposed to have sorted it.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1381756103' post='2243171']
Looks much more like the known issue with a generation of Orange Terrors, the later ones with the gain control that works without valve swapping are supposed to have sorted it.
[/quote]

Hmmmm ... that doesn't exactly fill me with joy!

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1381785648' post='2243868']
At least these can be fixed. But what would happen if one of the bigger ones next to it went? Blow it apart completely?
[/quote]

Nah, caps tend to be all flash, one of the big ones would produce a pretty impressive bang, but they wouldn't explode with enough force to really do much physical damage. The main damage would be to the board, it would probably take a lot of track with it and burn some big chunks out of the board.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1381796131' post='2243990']
Modern ones are made to jsut eject a leg if they go. Old ones go really well, spewing foaming wax stuff and billows of white smoke.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubw3cHM4YxU[/media]
[/quote]

Loving those Blake's Seven SFX ...