Why become a member? ×

5 String Question

Si600

This probably counts as a silly question. I've got a P-Bass copy that I'm refinishing and I was wondering whether I could rebuild it as a 5er rather than the 4 it is at the moment.

Presumably all I need is a new neck, pups and bridge? Will the new neck fit the existing neck pocket on the body?

If it's going to be too much work then look for a half finished p-copy in the marketplace :P

The simple answer is that it is too much work.
However, you list' randomly making stuff' as an interest, so speaking as one whose one bass for years was a ridiculously customised (4 string with head eventually became 5 string headless) Ibanez I'd say go for it. .you could learn alot a lot about how basses work.

I didn't even change the neck.. when I measured up I figured I'd just about get away with it, so fitted all 5 into the space provided.
I just remembered there are piccies in this thread: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/44673-ibanez-roadster-megacustom/page__hl__ibanez%20roadster

yep..agree, NO.

The thing that defines a 5 is the low B.... and you could go through all that and end up with a dud.
I don't recommend cheap 5's for this reason and even Fender made their fair share of duds for too long...maybe they still do... :lol:
but if you are doing this on the cheap... and you are, IMO.... set your sights on a £300-500 5 from a known maker and test it.

If the B is wooly..and a lot are..then move to the next one.
People will tell you a decent set up and new strings can do wonders...and sometimes they help a lot.... but why on earth hasn't the guy selling the bass done that in order to sell it...?????
Chances are.... being a tad cynical here..... because it hasn't worked on that bass.

its never a good idea, unless you want a project. very neck heavy, the body was possibly designed for the weight of a four string neck. you will have to re route for a five string set of pickups. unless you want only a few of the strings to be amplified properly. these are just 2 reasons why people tend not to convert 4 string basses into 5 string. there are lots more. and believe me, unless your a luthier genius, the B string will be as dead as a dodo.

much less effort to buy a 5 string that was designed to be one. :)

Edited by bubinga5

Thank you for your input. It was an idea I had as my only working bass is an Aria Pro II 5er, and even when the 4 was complete it was hardly used so I thought as I'm doing the work refinishing the 4 maybe I could turn it into a 5 in the process instead of looking for a new one.

It would be nice to have a second bass though as it will be another PJ 5er I can't see a compelling reason at the moment. Unless the Aria goes wrong in some way.

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1381243124' post='2236289']
This probably counts as a silly question. I've got a P-Bass copy that I'm refinishing and I was wondering whether I could rebuild it as a 5er rather than the 4 it is at the moment.

Presumably all I need is a new neck, pups and bridge? Will the new neck fit the existing neck pocket on the body?
[/quote]

You just need a Wilkinson 4+1 bridge. Goes on in place of the standard bridge, has a tuner on the bridge for the D string, there's a combined string tree/D-string anchor.

My MIJ was a fiver a few years ago, I've converted it back to a 4 string again now.

Low B was pretty good but it went off the edge of the neck as you went up the dusty end. String spacing was a little tight but felt OK, EMG Jazz pickups with the battery in half the hole left by the split P pickup. Standard neck coped fine with the extra tension of another string.

[url="http://s751.photobucket.com/user/richardmatthews_photos/media/forum%20stuff/FrankensteinPbass.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by Fat Rich

There is a gentleman who goes by the avatar Ric5 on talkbass.com and the two Rickebacker forums, rickenbacker.com and the enthusiast's forum rickresource.com . He has quite extensive experience in transforming all sorts of basses from 4-string to 5-string, and has posted pictures of his handiwork. I encourage surfing his threads if you are really serious about a conversion.

Personally I don't like the narrow string spacing you get when doing this. I've ended up using quite a wide 6 string, and besides refining the damping technique (I now have 5 strings to keep quiet instead of 3) I found it much easier to move onto that I expected. The wide neck really isn't an issue even with my smaller than average hands.

I do occasionally use slap, and the narrow 5-strings and 6-strings are a real pain there, but not only when slapping in my experience. I don't personally think it's that much of an introduction to what a good 5 or 6 can offer. Just a cheap way of getting a 5 for occasional recording maybe?

Get a 5 or 6 with a 'tight' sounding B (not always the case at all as pointed out) and you'll really get a feel for whether you like using the extra string(s). My old Status 4 isn't getting much play these days!