Why become a member? ×

Gibson Les Paul bass

Bassmonkey

Just picked this up last week. It's a 2012 Gibson Les Paul bass with the larger body. When I got it, it was fitted with amber knobs, cream pickup surrounds, switch surround and tip. I replaced them with black ones which I think makes it look better personally.

Gigged it on Saturday and was very happy. Is a bit weighty but sounds HUGE. The Gibson pickups are mentally loud and it has a pretty wide range of tones.

Cue loads of rock god poses a la Mick Ronson (well, a short fat grey haired version!)

Hope you like it
Andy

Cocco - they are pretty weighty, tons of sustain and the Gibson pickups are incredibly loud despite being passive. It is possible to get a pretty wide range of tone using the different pickup selections but I think they give a really nice even volume level on all 4 strings (rather than some basses which I think are loud on E & A but less so on D & G). You should have a dabble. Andy

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1380881316' post='2231811']
Cocco - they are pretty weighty, tons of sustain and the Gibson pickups are incredibly loud despite being passive. It is possible to get a pretty wide range of tone using the different pickup selections but I think they give a really nice even volume level on all 4 strings (rather than some basses which I think are loud on E & A but less so on D & G). You should have a dabble. Andy
[/quote]

I think I will! I'm also dying to play the EB13 and the reverse T-bird. I had a Grabber which I really regret selling. Gibson GAS is taking hold again.

Les Paul basses are ace. Did you find black pickup rings in the end or did you paint 'em?

As a semi-relevant aside, I miss my souped up Epi LP Standard :(

Schniff. The one that got away. I recently asked the guy I sold it to how he was getting on with it and of course he's loving it. Could mod another one I suppose. Sorry for the thread derail. Back on topic!

Edited by neepheid

Yeah. It was your Epi that inspired me in the first instance. I upgraded an old Antoria first with EMG/Hipshot etc then hankered for the real thing and now have 3.

I painted the rings but are already wearing. I then found a neck surround in Japan - £8.99 bargain. Asked the guy and he has a bridge one - same price. Just awaiting delivery BUT look at EBay - they are unbelievably expensive for a pair. £150+ blimey. Do think the bass looks better with black rather than cream additions. It is also a fair bit bigger than the other 2 LPs I have.

No noticeable neck dive either