Why become a member? ×

August/September Mix Competition VOTING CLOSED - RESULTS ARE IN

51m0n

First of all I'd like to thank Kit Richardson, and Nigel on behalf of everyone who has taken part in this mix competition for letting us have one of your lovely songs to play with.

Secondly, I've not entered, it really wouldnt e fair to put a mix that I spent a very long time over against these mixes that have only had a few weeks of spare time sent on them. If you want to hear my mix, then by all means follow the link in my signature. Here's hoping it is your favourite if you do ;)

Right so the mixes are in, excellent and diverse efforts they are too.

Here is the link to go and download or if you cant be bothered, then just listen to the mixes:-

[url="https://soundcloud.com/bc-mix-competitions/sets/bc-august-september-mix/s-YT2sD"]https://soundcloud.c...ber-mix/s-YT2sD[/url]

If you do want to download them they are very very high quality mp3s rather than wavs this time to make this rather less onerous on the dedicated few :D

Once you've listened, chosen the one that sounds nicest to you then vote in the poll....

To all those who participated, once again we have wildly varying levels on the mixes sent to me, peak levels differeing by some 18dB between mixes. So some of you have really struggled to get the K12 mix thing. That being the case I loaded all the mixes into Reaper and set them to the correct level based upon the loudest part of the song and rendered each one to a 320kbps mp3. Although there is some difference in apparent level (always the case) the results are far closer than what I was sent. I am sure this process has not detracted from your efforts. If you feel it does, complain all you like, but I probably will ignore you :D

[color=#ff0000][b]VOTING IS CLOSED[/b][/color]
Right the results are in![list=1]
[*]You Look So Good Tonight - Mix A (4 votes [30.77%]) : VasDim
[*]You Look So Good Tonight - Mix B (0 votes [0.00%]) : xgsjx
[*]You Look So Good Tonight - Mix C (0 votes [0.00%]) : Lurksalot
[*]You Look So Good Tonight - Mix D (7 votes [53.85%]) : Ironside1966
[*]You Look So Good Tonight - Mix E (2 votes [15.38%]) : Dad3353
[*]You Look So Good Tonight - Mix F (0 votes [0.00%]) : Moonbass
[/list]
[size=5]Well done VasDim!![/size]

Excellent mix well deserved win, you managed to tame Kits voice the best for me, and I also like your aggressive pruning of the arrangement and concentration on the backing vocals over the rest of the mix. Great stuff mate!

I'll put out my notes on the mixes later when I get a minute, well done to all of you, I get the distinct impression this was the busiest piece a lot of you have ever attempted, it only gets harder the more tracks you have doesnt it :D

Edited by 51m0n

Cheers for doing this Si ,

Would it be worth letting on after the event to those of us who haven't sussed the K meter yet , I thought I had ,but if I haven't I would rather know , I guess the others might want to aswell .

I too have got it down to 2 , and one of those is mine :lol: , I honestly think that after listening to it so closely and so often , your own version gets imprinted in your head and it sounds best , even if its a pile of the proverbial. but that probably means I am not doing enough referencing I guess :rolleyes: .
Ok so I won't vote for mine so it will have to be ............. :ph34r:

Good evening, all...

Be warned, once again, that the voting order is the opposite of the playing order (the tracks play 'F' to 'A'...). They're clearly marked, but it may fool some poor gullible so-and-so (not me, guv; honest...).
I was pleased and surprised to find such similitude in the renderings. Many detail differences, naturally, but all are high-quality mixes, all respecting the density and richness of the source material. I can't listen on top-end gear (...and have cloth ears, anyway..! :rolleyes: ), so did my choosing from modest headset only. Perhaps that's not doing full justice to some of the subtleties..? Choice has been duly made, but there's not much to throw out in any of these entries. I'm impressed, folks.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1380574443' post='2227441']
I too have got it down to 2 , and one of those is mine :lol: , I honestly think that after listening to it so closely and so often , your own version gets imprinted in your head and it sounds best , even if its a pile of the proverbial. but that probably means I am not doing enough referencing I guess :rolleyes: .
[/quote]

Exactly! When I entered the previous one (or was it the one before?) only my own version sounded "right" to me. This time I didn't enter and am able to listen more objectively - I also haven't listened to the original. I too have it down to two...

Voted. It was between A, D and F for me. I really liked the snare sound in F, a bit higher pitch and lighter (sounds like a sample replacement or more top mic?). However the mix as a whole was a bit lacking in energy/depth as opposed to A and D. One of the things that swung it for me was the snare. It was a touch loud in A perhaps, but I just preferred the tone (seemed a bit dark/flat in D). On the other hand I preferred the levels in the final chorus of D. However, the introduction bit with the stereo percussion (beatboxing?) was a bit distracting for me, I preferred it straight down the middle. Was a close match for me, but I ended up picking A.

EDIT: Shame about the lack of votes too, the mixes deserve more to be honest.

Edited by Ziphoblat

Voted. For me it was between D and E. I was mostly swayed by the lead vocal: most of the other mixes have the vocal too low for my liking - perhaps overwhelmed by the backing vocals? D and E both spotlight the lead: E probably had it at my preferred level, but it came over on the harsh side; also the piano was too low for me. So on balance (ha ha) I went for D, which achieves an attractive blend of lead and backing vocals, and puts the piano and guitar in a good place - especially in the coda with the strings. Splendid work, everyone!

Firstly, it's a sadness that there were only 13 votes, you guys deserved so so much more for your brilliant efforts. They were all very good indeed, I voted for D though. For me, that mix had more vibrancy and balance and dynamics and the mix brought the song to life in a way that pleased me. The others were all excellent too, salut!

I hope you enjoyed mixing the track, it's been really fascinating to your interpretations of it, having heard and played it hundreds of times :)

Thank you !!

Nx

Thirteen votes is a touch dissappointing , but for the participants the challenge is to learn about the process get a bit of experience and most importantly have the efforts critiqued , this is the main part of the competition for me , and in all fairness if you are not participating then a lot of the impetus of listening and voting is based more on the goodwill of the BCers as they do need to have a fairly close listen to the entries to make a choice.

Well done everyone! Thirteen votes is in no way a reflection of the effort put in here. But hopefully everyone has learnt some new tricks, which is the real prize (corny as that may be).

Cheers to Si, Nige, Kit and co. Best track we've had to date in my opinion.

Here's to the next one! :)

Edited by Skol303

Don't be too hard on yourselves guys. I think a lot of folk are pretty busy just now as this isn't the only creative part that's not getting the input it deserves.
I for one had a lot of fun mixing the track & I'm sure the other's did too! So I'd say that's a success. :)

Excellent..! Once again, congratulations to all who took this on, and thanks to those that took the time and trouble to critically listen to the different interpretations. Learning experience..? Quite definitely; it's not often at all that we get the opportunity to mess around with such fine material.
Now awaiting the [s]word of God[/s] analysis of Nigel on what went right and what went wrong with our attempts (if he gets the time to spare...).
A special round of applause to Ironside 1966 and VasDim for their success. Congratulations to myself, too, for obtaining a surprise bronze medal..! Who'd have thought it, eh..? Altogether a splendid challenge; this will be a hard one to follow...

Well done all, very high standard this month. I'll be honest and say I was initially peeved at not getting any votes, as I think this is the best mix I've done so far! But repeated listening has shown me that I completely lost track of what the vocals were supposed to be doing in the song. It is definitely hard to herd so many tracks coherently, and I think this is reflected in the diversity of the mixes this month.

I voted for ironside for really bringing out the husky backing vocals and the ambient nuances of the guitars and keys at just the right spots. I wasn't sure about the drum sound which seemed a little small, but definitely worked in context. It would be lovely to hear a commentary on your approach to the track Ironside?

What's next?!

A big thank you, Nigel and Kit Richardson for allowing this track to be used and also a big thank you to everyone who voted or comment, last but not least a very big thank you to Si for his time and effort in running this competition. This was a good song and a great performance from the band and it was also well tracked so well done to them.
[size=4][size=5]My mix[/size]:[/size]
My usual approach to a mix is to get a good drum sound and then build up the rhythm section first but with this track was different I built everything up around the Piano and lead vocal. I automated the EQ on the piano to a thin the sound out and add a little presence when the song started to get busier. Even though the faders are virtual for the majority of the time I mix on them in a similar way to using a real desk. I generally only use automation at the end of a mix process apart from on the vocals witch I automat quite heavily to make sure the vocals come across clearly but again this track was different, the majority of this track was mixed using automation. I bussed the BV,s into four different groups but automating each separate track. so I ended up with all the BV on four faders same with drums and guitars.
There are no short cuts when working with a mix of this complexity you have to listen and get to know every track and then work out what part they have to play, is it a supporting one, counter melody or main part, in other words you need to have a vision of the final production. You can't have a big drum sound, massive backing vocals and an upfront vocal it just sounds a mess or at least it did when I tried it.
Nothing more to say really no clever EQ'ing or compression but I do use saturation and layer the compresses I also mix into a buss compressor.
This track was mixed on headphones using Cubase 7