Why become a member? ×

Epi Thunderbird IV

Dramatis Persona

Hello there, I'm getting tired of my modded Fender Precision with Jazzy Pickup, ok, actually is my only bass, I have an Odi et Amo relationship with him, I prefer something more gritter, more new waver, more 80's.
I'm selling my P to an old friend because I need money for set up a little home recording studio, but I can't live without bass, and I love the Thunderbird (and obviusly the firebird) from when I'm a teen.
I tried many Epi guitars in the past, and for the price they are good instruments, but never tried any Epi bass, I only tried a Gibson Firebird years ago and It is was like sex.
So, is the Epi TB IV a good instrument? I found itnew for cheap in Italy (where I live) ((200 euros)).

I only need this bass for recordings (and obviously for playing bass generally), I'm so tired of bands, as a bass\guitar\key player is very funny and inspiring make everything alone, It's like to be Narcissus, yourself is your soul-mate, drum machine are dope; for live session I think I'll only use my guitar (and mayby my synth). I sold my Gallien Krueger head and cabs, I am unable to afford a live bass gig. :/

Thank You

PS: Actually I'm playing shoegaze, dream pop, noise pop\rock, drone, post-punk.

Welcome to the forum. Epi Tbirds are good basses, I`ve had a couple, and they sound good, and are reliable. The only slight downside to them is neck-dive, but as you are not intending on using the bass in a band this shouldn`t be an issue - always a problem when reaching for your drink with the left hand, the headstock hits the floor! They do have a fairly signature tone to them, but it`s a good sound, so I`d happily recommend them.

There is a member on the forum who has my old Goth T-bird. If I hadn't bought the Precision then I'd still be gigging with it.

I moved the front strap button to the front of the heel of the neck, used a neoprene strap and the bass actually pointed upwards as a result. I also fitted EMG HZ pickups just for the hell of it and stick on LEDs so I could see on a dark stage. It also had a Hipshot Supertone bridge as the original stilty things aren't very good IMO. Regardless of what anyone says it dramatically improved the sustain a lot.

Originally strung with Rotoflats I used it for everything from Weddings, rock band stuff to a Beatles tribute act. Very clear sounding, easy to play plus the Goth T-birds have jazz bass width necks

Play it first, the neck dive is painful, literally as you get very sore after a couple of hours playing pulling it straight. If you can live with it the sound is stunning. You will either love this bass or hate it. It looks and sounds fab but it handles like s**t.

Go for the Epi Pro, it is worth the extra over the straight TBird, You get better PUP's and active electronics but more importantly you get a proper TBird neck of laminated wood running right through the body rather than a bolt on neck. This neck gives awesome sustain and the Pups are much better, some say better than the Gibson pups.

I've just put my Gibson TBird up for sale, it was fun whilst it lasted but in the end I don't need RSI from holding the thing straight all evening.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1380491091' post='2226207']
Worth aiming for a Pro over the standard Epiphone Thunderbird?

I'll admit, mine was cute... but didn't really cut it; and some of the fitting was suspect. All the feedback has been that the neckthrough Pro versions are a real cut above.
[/quote]

+1
I have a natural Pro IV and it really is very good for the dosh.
The pups (and preamp) sound well above budget... especially the bridge pup, the overall construction is top-notch, the neck is sublime and it doesn't have that silly bridge the other t-birds have. The only issue I've had with mine is that it came with the earth wire not making full contact with the bridge - 5 minute job to rectify.

[quote name='Dramatis Persona' timestamp='1380534368' post='2226565']
Because I'm not a lover of active basses. :unsure:
[/quote]

The Classic Pro IV is passive I think (with Gibbo pickups), the cheaper Pro IV is active.

If my experiments with upside down playing prove fruitful, I intend to go with a White Classic Pro IV.

Edited by DorsetBlue