Why become a member? ×

More Markbass questions!

Mr Fudge

I am pretty serious about getting some high end gear. At first I thought this may be GAS but now seems a genuine pursuit. Currently I have ashdown 300mag and 4 x 10 cab.

My reasoning is to get the 2x10 markbass combo. I have a few options here. Full PA support sometimes, monitoring options and to use my 4x10 8 ohm as an extension cab for bigger pub gigs. Eventually I could ditch the ashdown 4 x 10 and get a high end 15, 2x10 or even a 12??? I could keep the mag head as a spare.

I would like to know if anyone has worked with similar combinations. Is the £800 - £900 upgrade going to be fantastically different from what I all ready have. I like the idea of the flexibility the combo gives. I would usually only go down the seperates road.

I have dabbled with the combo at low volume and been impressed. What is it like low down and dirty with its balls out. Can it cope on its own with a normal pub gig. I play a marcus jazz if that helps.

cheers guys ...

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='221403' date='Jun 18 2008, 02:40 PM']I am pretty serious about getting some high end gear. At first I thought this may be GAS but now seems a genuine pursuit. Currently I have ashdown 300mag and 4 x 10 cab.

My reasoning is to get the 2x10 markbass combo. I have a few options here. Full PA support sometimes, monitoring options and to use my 4x10 8 ohm as an extension cab for bigger pub gigs. Eventually I could ditch the ashdown 4 x 10 and get a high end 15, 2x10 or even a 12??? I could keep the mag head as a spare.

I would like to know if anyone has worked with similar combinations. Is the £800 - £900 upgrade going to be fantastically different from what I all ready have. I like the idea of the flexibility the combo gives. I would usually only go down the seperates road.

I have dabbled with the combo at low volume and been impressed. What is it like low down and dirty with its balls out. Can it cope on its own with a normal pub gig. I play a marcus jazz if that helps.

cheers guys ...[/quote]

I had an Ashdown EVOii 575 with a 1 x 15 and a 2 x 10 which was ok but I wanted a more compact rig and the ability to produce a modern sound when I felt like it. I was using my p bass with the Ashdown rig.

I tried allsorts of stuff (borrowed from the shop) and had other bass players round with their gear so I could directly compare with my own stuff.

I elected to go for a Markbass head and an Aguilar 2 x 12. initially I had a Little markii but swapped in for an LMK. I'd highly recommend this set up. Hope it helps. :)

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='221403' date='Jun 18 2008, 02:40 PM']I am pretty serious about getting some high end gear. At first I thought this may be GAS but now seems a genuine pursuit. Currently I have ashdown 300mag and 4 x 10 cab.

cheers guys ...[/quote]

I have a 1x15 Markbass cab that will be a lot lighter than a 4x10. It works perfect with the 2x10 combo for bigger gigs. You'll also get a further 200w from your combo when linked together. Mine is like new (Don't do that many big gigs now days and just use the 2x10.) and it's up for sale. Let me know if it's of interest to you.

Markbass cabs dont seem to have quite the same esteem as the amps, and I guess that might count against a Markbass combo.

Markbass amps and Bergantino cabs seems to be a very popular combination at the moment. Get your arse down to Mark at Bass Direct - its not far, and remember dont mix cabs for best results.

While you are there, ask him "where's my f***ing shuttle?".

I've used a Mark Bass LittleMark (2 channel model which is fantastic) with both Schroeder (21012L) and Epifani Cabs (UL 310) and both combinations sounded amazing.

I also tried the head with a couple of Markbass cabs and although they sounded good, I favoured the Schroeder and Epifani by miles.

I personally preferred the LMK with the Epifani as I found the sound had more clarity and definition. They have enough power too to cove rmost situations but also weighed probably the same (if not less) than most decent combos out there.

I got the 210 combo a couple of months ago & it still amazes me at how much bass 2 10" drivers can produce even at loud volumes.

I'm toying with the idea of adding another cab (was looking at the mb 410 & the abm 410), so if you do get the combo let me know how it sounds with your 410.

I've done a couple of gigs so far with it & the loudest i've had to put it is with the gain and master both set at @ the 10 o'clock position & my bass volume is usually between 1/2 & 3/4 vol with no fx & that's been at rehearsals (bloody noisy guitarist gits). Both these gigs was to 100 or so people so didn't need it all that loud & everyone else was through pa except me. One gig had songs containing 2 guitars, violin, banjo, mandolin & 2 lots of vocals and me & the other was straight rock with 2 guitars (one switching between synth sounds), drums, vocals & me on bass and both of em I could be heard clear as day.

Not tried any of the other cabs mentioned, but quite sure they are top notch also.

I got mine from the Bass Merchant & he's one very nice guy to deal with and I got next day delivery free to Perth!

I recently went from a Aguilar AG500 and Epi UL310 to a Markbass 2x10 combo and was stunned by the quality, the sound and the amount of lowend this combo kicks out. I only got the master to 9 o'clock and that with a loud drummer. If I was going to carry on playing Id keep it for sure, but alas Im quitting playing in bands for a while, so it will be up for sale.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='221534' date='Jun 18 2008, 04:55 PM']I use a LMII with 2 Bergantino 1x12s and it's nice and compact and very loud too.[/quote]

My MB LMK with two AE12 Bergantino 1x12's does the job too ..
Not cheap but worth it.

cheers guys.

I think its a trip to bass direct and try out some of your suggestions. I will mention your shuttle bass-ferret. Its just a case of finding some time, as always. There seems to be some very positive stuff about markbass. I know it's not cheap but generally in this life I think you get what you pay for. If you do sell mikeh give me a shout!

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='221728' date='Jun 18 2008, 09:28 PM']cheers guys.

I think its a trip to bass direct and try out some of your suggestions. I will mention your shuttle bass-ferret. Its just a case of finding some time, as always. There seems to be some very positive stuff about markbass. I know it's not cheap but generally in this life I think you get what you pay for. If you do sell mikeh give me a shout![/quote]

Im definately selling!! :)

I have recently bought a Mark 1x12 combo & quite impressed with it for certain things. It's very light, loud & chucks out an amazing amount of depth for its diminutive size.

Downside is that it's not as crisp as I'd expect and I have a feeling the tweeter isn't as good as I'm used to. My Euphonic iAmp 350 combo with a 1x10 blows it away in most respects but it's a bit too heavy for my everyday rehearsal needs and the Mark fits the bill better for this.

Although I'm not planning to gig with it, I think it would be easily loud enough to fill pretty much any smaller/medium pub gig on its own and would always be through the PA for larger gigs. Partnered with another 12 or a 2x10 It would certainly fulfill the task for any pub gig.

From what I know the 2x10 pumps out a fair bit more volume again & has a punchier overall sound than my 1x12. Obviously the cab is a decent size larger so this is going to help with projection & depth etc.

If you like the Mark sound (and a LOT of people do) then the 2x10 alone ought to suit most applications for pub sized gigs. Adding a 4x10 is probably overkill as I can't see many pubs requiring a 6x10 setup. A second Mark 2x10 for punch or a 1x15 for increased depth might be a better option really.

However, as someone who's heading down the 600w head, 2x10 & 2x12 route who am I to talk :)

Ok - so my excuse is that we're a functions band and play mediul/large halls rather than pubs but the two cabs is easily more than I could ever need!

Just brought a Mark Bass Jeff Berlin from the Gallery and very pleased with it. Done a couple gigs in pubs and more than enough power from the 1x15. Really suited our Blondie cover band (Parallel Lines) sound but I think it will take a bit longer to find an edgey punk roar which I also need.

[quote]Is it generally better to use same make cabs as extension cabs?[/quote]

I asked a similar question & the answer I got was pretty much "from a sound engineer's point of view, always use the same brand drivers that operate within the same frequency range", but as always go & try different ones if you can before buying (try your Ashdown & see how it sounds, if you like it then it's good).

BTW the 210 combo is an easy carry in one hand with bass & bag of wires in other!

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='221926' date='Jun 19 2008, 09:49 AM']thanks again everyone. Is it generally better to use same make cabs as extension cabs?[/quote]
See [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=21632&hl="]here[/url]. I personally use two of the same cabs. If you are DI through the PA as well it does not really matter, but I suspect the unpredictable results could be more apparent FOH than on stage where the likelihood is that you would generally hear just the top cab nearest your ears.

TBH everybody using PA for FOH and multiple cabs of stage monitoring could probably save a load of cash by sticking the top cab on an empty box!

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='222774' date='Jun 20 2008, 11:33 AM']....HR are rear ported, HF are front ported and I'm not sure but I think the Traveller cabs don't have any ports....[/quote]
Front ported are larger than rear ported and they are both larger than the Travellers.
I wouldn't buy Markbass cabs but I guess if you do, you would want the front ported cab as they are larger, meaning you'd get a better tone due to te size.

[quote name='chris_b' post='222784' date='Jun 20 2008, 11:43 AM']Front ported are larger than rear ported and they are both larger than the Travellers.
I wouldn't buy Markbass cabs but I guess if you do, you would want the front ported cab as they are larger, meaning you'd get a better tone due to te size.[/quote]

Markbass traveller cabs are rear ported and very loud and deep for their size and light weight.

Frank

This thread has been a massive help to me, thanks to all.

This is what I may do .... I still really fancy the flexibility of the 2x10 combo. To combo and extension cab may be a financial bridge to far at the moment. Possibly I could try the 2x10 combo with my ashdown 4x10 and if it works I have a get out of jail rig for bigger gigs unti I can possibly get the 1x15 traveller? I know there are some mixed reviews of the cabs and I will know more when I try out a few combinations. I also know that mixing isn't great. Considering the above can anyone see any massive flaws in this plan.

Should I wait, get a LMII and then a few higher end cabs???

Is the difference that great?

I promise not to ask anymore questions.

Thanks again.

The LMII works well with 2 1x12s in my experience and makes a nice compact rig. I've gigged extensively with a LMII and two Aguilar 112s and currently 2 Bergantino 112s. We play some pretty big places and I've never been short of clout. I've even done a couple of gigs with just a single cab.

The 210 combo is supposed to be very good - I know there's one for sale on here at the moment and I may end up with one myself with my ageing back issues.