Why become a member? ×

31" Singlecut 6 by Tom Marceau

Pasco Jacorius

It's a real pleasure to see such great and comprehensive pictures of a build. Mr Marceau's setup, design and execution are really impressive.

By the way, I have magnets securing the control cavity cover on one of my basses, and it has never even thought about moving unless I've wanted it to :-)

Edited by Roland Rock

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there , it will be strung BEADGC (Rotosound swing bass 66) big gauge, and as you may know those strings have tension for ever. It seems that the preamp has not left UK yet , that's... I really need this bass..
As far as the scale length is concerned, with all things equal (and when the strings aren't moving) 35" is better than 31" for this type of setting...Now when neck stiffness(very important) , string gauge(and mass) , pickup placement and general construction are part of the equation, and especially when you're actually playing, 31" can sound as good as 35" and "percieved" tension (feel) can be the same..or even better !35" Low B can sound very bad too , never met a 35" bass that sounded like pooh ? That's the result of poor construction. Now if it really doesn't work....Which I doubt because his "thirty" model(30") has the same" felt" tension and sound than any 34" ...But if it doesn't work EADGCF is not a problem for me ;). But I know it will work. Tom really knows what he does, and he does high quality construction.

Edited by Pasco Jacorius

[quote name='Pasco Jacorius' timestamp='1404063011' post='2488909']
Big gauge starts at 130 for the low b , 120 would be too light.
[/quote]

130 isn't too heavy, I use that on my 33" scale basses :)
I was expecting to hear you say something like 145...

Eude

Nay , 130 is heavy enough for me , just like 95 is my favorite on 34" E string..But these are also rotosound swing bass 66. :) 33" isn't very far from 31". But hey , once again , I've got two 34" and the one with the stiffer neck seems ( I said SEEMS) to have more tension all things being equal , I find it harder to play. Tension is a very tricky thing as percieved tension varies when the strings are moving according to how much resistance they face (stiffer or heavier woods etc..).

Edited by Pasco Jacorius

• 1 month later...