Why become a member? ×

The ultimate in home practice amps - ALL SOLD
£450

tayste_2000

So you earn a nice wage, you own a truly vintage instrument but you don't gig, you just noodle at home, what amp is right for you?

The ideal would be a 70's SVT with an 8x10 but it's way to loud, way to heavy and way to big

The solution to this terrible dilemma is here!

The rig features a specially modded Matamp Minimat and a custom Matamp 4x6 cab (1 of a kind)

This is big rig sound but quieter, all the tone I've got out of my Matamp GT200 and 8x10 in something the wife doesn't find offensive (shocking I know)

The minimat has a built in attenuator so you can crack it up for the distorted power valve sound and then just turn it down between the head and cab.

Lets avoid the stupid questions of can you gig it, it's 4w, no you can't, maybe if you're doing a home jam session with an acoustic guitar but really this is what I call the Dr or Lawyer amp, something nice to have at home or in the office to noodle away because no one wants to plug a 4 grand instrument into a 25w squire bass combo ;)

Reason for sale, well I own the other thing that you should if you're in this situation a 70's Ampeg B-15 ;)

I'm after £450 for the rig as a whole, I'd rather not split but would sell the cab before the head if needs be so they will be priced at £325 for the head and £175 for the cab.

No trades thank you.

Edited by tayste_2000

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1380715710' post='2229357']
Loving the Verithin, Steve, but are those Gibson speed-knobs? :o
[/quote]

Purist, huh..? Black 'witches hat' on mine, so there..! At least she's not been 'reliced'..! :P

@OP: nice to see a 'real' bass for a change. B)

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Hofner%20vintage%20instruments/Hofner%20500%207%201964%20CURRENT/DSCF3396.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Hofner%20vintage%20instruments/Hofner%20500%207%201964%20CURRENT/DSCF3396.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

That case was an Italian-made canvas & leather jobbie ... very elegant but none too protective.

Eventually I managed to source one of the new fitted hardcases for the Hofner CT Verithin series, at which point the canvas & leather went elsewhere.

Those knobs still look like speed-knobs to me ...

Think I'll get the Verithin case then, those shaped bass cases always look very cool ;)

I'll replace the knobs eventually as they sit too high on the shaft and look a bit odd

in the meantime if someone would like to buy this amp so I've got space to bring the B-15 home that would be great ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry missed these posts

I believe it's a cap change in the input and then its running a 12AT7 to reduce the gain and then I hand selected the power valve that stayed cleanest for longest.

In terms of using it on guitar I have tried it and it sounds great, very clean, clear and full, I would suggest if you want it for guitar that you swap the pre valve back to a 12AX7, but nothing has been taken away from the high end, just added to the low end if you get me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...