Why become a member? ×

Bass Players as Composers

Bilbo

[quote name='The Funk' date='Jun 18 2008, 03:53 AM' post='221071']
Miroslav Vitous is a great bassist, when he's at home (in the Czech Republic I believe) or anywhere else. Wasn't he in Weather Report before Alphonso Johnson and Jaco?

/quote]

Vitous was the first bass player in WR - he is known primarily as a double bass player but he did tinker with the electric for a while.

And, yes, your role does count.

re. Steve Harris, I've read interviews where he says he writes the main guitar parts on his songs too.....which would explain why so many Iron maiden songs are stuck in that same C, D, Eminor progression with the twin harmony guitars over it.....

Me :huh:

You thought it was hard teaching a guitarist how to play a riff propperly? try getting 25 different people to play what [i]you [/i]want instead of what they [i]think [/i]you want (or what [i]they [/i]want)

Although you do get to put on a sarcastic voice and ask them to play what's on the page, if it's not too much trouble :)

[edit] I write orchestral music if it isn't obvious [end edit]

Edited by SteveO

Bilbo...no Steve Swallow! Shame on you.

Also:
Gary Willis (programs and writes a lot of the parts especially on albums like Actual Fiction)
Jean Baudin (For solo bass composition)
Wasn't Sammy Nestico originally a bassist?! He's probably composed more than most.

[quote name='Mikey D' post='225313' date='Jun 23 2008, 07:58 PM']Bilbo...no Steve Swallow! Shame on you.[/quote]

The irony is I am thinking of starting a Steve Swallow Tribute band - commercial suicide but that's jazz....:)

Edited by bilbo230763

[quote name='Mikey D' post='225313' date='Jun 23 2008, 07:58 PM']Wasn't Sammy Nestico originally a bassist?! He's probably composed more than most.[/quote]

Trombone.

Most of his stuff is arranging rather than composing but, yes, he did that too, very prolifically.