Why become a member? ×

Massive Ampeg fail! Soundgarden last night, were you there?

stingrayPete1977

In the olden days , Ampeg SVT's used to break down fairly regulaly . They were/are fairly sophisticated and therefore finnicky examples of valve amp technology . One of the reasons pro bass players started gravitating towards transistor amps like Gallien Krueger and Trace Elliot was their improved reliability over Ampeg . The newer Ampeg gear is meant to be more reliable , but you can't completely change the nature of the beast .

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1379259101' post='2210446']
I enjoyed the gig overall did you? Do you agree the bass had better clarity after they gave up on the ampegs? The guy with the ricky in the support band didnt cut through much where we were stood either so maybe some engineer/venue fail too?
[/quote]

I did to be fair, though thought it went a bit downhill the last few songs (still enjoyable, but thought Sheppard could've handled the issues with the bass better - I know it must've been frustrating, but when I've paid forty quid for a ticket I'd expect him to at least look like he still wants to be there rather than pulling a mardy face at the crowd before storming off) and the ten minutes of feedback at the end didn't do anything for me really. Other than that, good gig - nice to hear the newer stuff and the openers of Let Me Drown and Spoonman were perfect.

I'll be honest, I couldn't really tell a huge difference in bass sound from where I was after the ampeg issues - partially down to tiredness and two hours of headbanging, but I don't think the Academy's ever brought out the best sound for any band I've seen there in all fairness.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1379259331' post='2210453']
When Skunk Anansie played at Brighton Dome earlier this year Cass' bass rig was having issues, again an all-valve head with mic'ed cab. However he DOES DI before the amp as well so despite him having a gig he's probably rather forget he just got on with it and the sound out front was still awesome :)
[/quote]
I love Cass!

I've had my SVT fail twice at gigs. First time was OK, since there was a DI between my bass and the amp, and I put it down to the notoriously lousy power at a certain venue in Camden. Second time was in Stoke on Trent, ridiculously hot stage, and the Ampeg overheated. No DI so the sound guy had to frantically set one up. The amp was fine the next night, apart from a "ticking" sound that the repair guy I took it to couldn't sort out ...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1379260538' post='2210492']

I love Cass!
[/quote]
My wife's cousin is a bassist, his band have supported Skunk Anansie on tour. Says he spent a lot of time at the side of the stage watching Cass playing. As he so eloquently put it "He's a cracking bloke, and he grooves like a bastard"!

Just copied this from facebook, I don't agree that it was a bad gig and the comments about brum are true, for me that's what grunge was about, they said the same of Seattle later.

Simon Woodey Just returned from the most unprofessional gig I have seen in a long time. Went to see Soundgarden and for 75 minutes it was all hunky dory. Chris's voice was great, crowd were into it and then it all started going wrong. First Chris introduced a song by saying we only play this when we are in bleak English towns like this one (nice). Then Ben Shepherd had a problem with his bass amp. He had a look at his monitor, then went back to his amp, fiddled with it still wasn't happy so knocked it over. Then went and smashed the neck of his bass into one of the stage lights, threw it on the floor and walked off!The others carried on for two songs and then went off. Came back once they had replaced the amp and played a couple more but Ben just stood there with this really sh*tty look on his face. To use an English phrase, 'He looked like a Bulldog chewing a wasp.' Because of the delay they cut the encore short, we didn't get 'Outshined' and we knew it was coming because we saw the setlist.Ben just threw his bass again, Matt the drummer walked off, and Chris and Kim just layed their axes down and f***ed around with the distortion for about four minutes, just making noise. Totally unprofessional in my view, suck it up and play Ben Shepherd you spoiled dick! No thank you's, no goodnight, they just walked off leaving the guitars screaming on the stage. Grow up boys, we payed £40 to listen to you play and you f***ed us over.Arseholes!Like · 3 · Today at 2:01am

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1379264457' post='2210563']
First Chris introduced a song by saying we only play this when we are in bleak English towns like this one (nice).
[/quote]

Never understood why so many people take offence at things like this at gigs - like you say, it's a true comment, and I interpreted it as tongue-in-cheek anyway. I'd agree that the end was pretty unprofessional, largely down to Sheppard but it wouldn't have taken much for Cornell to come up to the mike once it was obvious that he wasn't coming back on and say something along the lines of 'Thanks for coming, goodnight' rather than leaving the crowd milling around to wonder what was going on.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1379259648' post='2210457']
For big touring bands, I think using Ampeg is more about tour support than actually specifically wanting to use Ampeg. Wherever you go, there will be an Ampeg stockist to supply backline. Even bands that do this might still not trust them and carry an Ashdown head as backup though.
[/quote]
Regarding the mass defection from Ampeg in recent years (Wooten, W. Lee, Sheehan and more), apparently tour support and artist relations were part of the problem.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1379680210' post='2215630']
I must admit it was my first time so I was quite happy and was pleased his voice was still good, bit of bass drama just added to the fun! I don't even know who the support where but yes, bit dull but sort of filled the background while we all got a pint and a tiny gap to stand in :D
[/quote]

Support were Graveyard, from Sweden, I think.

It took the sound guys a couple of songs to get the vocals sounding good.
I was disappointed to see that Ben has mellowed out since the last time is saw them, but then that was 19 years ago.
It's also a shame that the Brum O2 seems to suck bass frequencies away.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1379684257' post='2215697']
Sorry dude, was paraphrasing - that said, "boring" would definitely have described Soundgarden's showing at Download; does show that opinions can vary! :)

[url="http://youtu.be/jeXChfKnh3I"]http://youtu.be/jeXChfKnh3I[/url]
[/quote]

We can't all like the same stuff or things would be boring.

That Graveyards song is about 3 times faster than anything they played.

Agreed - and Basschat loves a good argument! :D

Really? I think they have some issues with their set listing - they played Download and the first half was storming, but the rest dropped a few notches... they do have some very slow, old-world bluesy numbers, which really slow things down; they just struggle to build a set around them. The last album does a little of the same.

This is why you should have a DI in use for live work. DI the bass then send a link to the amp; if amp AND spare fail, you still have something to salvage the gig. And as for valve sound? Who at the back of the hall is gonna tell the diff between valve and DI.

You can't blame the sound crew for this massive fail, unless there was no DI in the first place.