Why become a member? ×

hi there - I'm new to this

duffer1

Well this is all very new, my first chat room membership, and a new commitment to learn to play bass.

I don't plan on being anything special, just plodding along in the background in pub sessions would suit me.

I'm past sixty and getting a bit arthritic in the fingers so I started with a Ukelele but didn't get on with it so I bought a Ubass when they first came out and started learning to play but was never convinced it was right for me.

I recently bought an Ashbory bass and I'm feeling like I've found the right instrument. The Ashbory is now sold in the UK by Nigel Thornbory, who designed it back in the 80's. It being fretless it's a bit like starting again but I like it. :

Back to learning the scales - but without the frets to help.

Welcome to the club!

Oh yes, I saw those before, a friend of mine bought one after we were talking about them. They are really tiny necked things with plastic strings? I seem to remember he didn't get on with it that well, can't remember what he did with it.

Glad you are enjoying it though, who needs frets anyway :D

Hey Duffer,

Welcome from another Ashbory user, a noob at 57 years of old.

You do know that you need an EBS Fafner amp and an Ampeg SVT 810 cabinet for this, yes?
(Only kidding. I just took the most expensive stuff I could hastily remember before my first coffee today. Way more expensive stuff does of course exist. You need that instead.)

Enjoy the fora, their info, discussion and banter!

best,
bert

Welcome! I've never had the chance to try an Ashbory but they look good fun and sound great.

[quote name='duffer1' timestamp='1379117508' post='2208978']
I don't plan on being anything special, just plodding along in the background

[/quote]

A wise philosophy in my opinion. A combination of playing bass and the opposite aim = tears before bedtime ;)