Why become a member? ×

Some good news

AntLockyer

Some background for those that haven't read my other riveting posts. My bass playing outlet is a regular Wednesday night blues jam which has just the right level of friendliness and variation to make it a god laugh. I love the lack of commitment needed for that. This week the organiser said "I was going to ring you the other night as we needed a bass player for our gig at short notice" I said anytime and felt flattered.

Then yesterday I got asked to be the house band bass player for 3 weeks as a dep to the regular guy. That is itself was really nice but he then went on to say "we are all really raving about your playing,"Name withheld" and I were discussing it in fine detail last night, awesome feel"

Very nice for someone to say that.

Great stuff, but it's also a big commitment. Be prepared for people coming up to you with little or no notice and expecting you to know some obscure tune and frequently in an obscure key to boot ;) Been asked to do a house band at a local jam myself but I've made it clear I won't do it every week (it's on a Sunday and starts at 3pm so when the evenings get shorter it pretty much starts using all your available time that day). Given the two previous guys in the particular version I'd be taking over from were both full time pro's (including our own Richard 'out to play jazz') they are pretty big shoes to fill but could be a fun aside from the regular band work.

Luckily for me it is a blues jam that does extend out in interesting ways sometimes but I've been well exposed to that already by just being a participant. For me it is essentially doing what I would normally do on a Wednesday with the added bonuses of some money, getting to use my own amp and getting to play more songs with different musicians.