Why become a member? ×

Wireless? Digital or analogue?

Phil Adams

[i]I was told that analogue is not great for bass as it cannot transmit below 60 hertz so you are losing some of the real low end, digital transmits the whole signal.....don't know if that is true or not but I am sure someone will be along shortly with more technical knowledge than me that can confirm or deny the statement.

I use the Stageclix jack system which is fantastic other than the need for an extension lead to keep the transmitter away from the actives on all but my old Stingray bass[/i]

Top end digital systems still use reserved frequencies. The con/prosumer systems, are transmitting on the 2.4 Ghz range (e.g. wifi) - so it's not going anywhere fast in terms of frequencies being sold off.

Digital is the way to go - primarily because there is no compounder which is a big plus for us bass players liking our lower frequencies being untouched. The tradeoff? Latency. Not really a problem unless you are using a load of digital systems which will all add their own latency.. then its an issue. But for most, this is never going to be a problem.

I've never understood why digital wireless systems don't also have a digital output. Especially Line6 who also do a whole range of other digital signal processors that may well be used in conjunction. Each A-D D-A conversion is the main cause of latency so keeping them to a minimum would be the way to go. Can't help feeling they've missed a trick.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1378883577' post='2205852']
Currently analogue. However, if the Samson Airline bites the dust, it will be a digital Line 6 all the way.
[/quote]

I noticed a definite improvement in sound when I switched from the Samson Airline to Line 6 G30. IME it was worth changing even though my Airline system was still working (I now use this in the house to save me tripping over my lead as its cheap as chips to run!).