Why become a member? ×

Cancelled dep rant

mike257

Felt like venting - a guy I worked with before I left the day job and went full time muso booked me a couple of days ago to dep for his covers band in October. The last dep I did for them I learned 2x60s on the day, nailed the gig with no rehearsal (or soundcheck) and was offered the full time spot in the band but had to decline due to other commitments.

Told him I'm not sure when/if I'd be able to practice with them as my son is due to be born in the next week or two but said I'd try and squeeze one in. Got a text today saying "Your services won't be required, but cheers anyway and we'll keep you in mind in future".

I know his regular player is out with his other band that night so I politely enquired what was up and apparently their old bassist "wanted to do it and knows the songs" and he thought he was doing me a favour with the baby being due.

Am I wrong to be well pissed off? It wasn't even a great payer but I knocked back another booking yesterday because I had these guys in the diary. Once the baby gets here I need all the work I can get because the missus is only on maternity pay. The old bassist who is now doing it is the guy they wanted me to replace and was, by their account, unreliable and not much cop as a player.

How anyone thinks taking a gig off a guy whose sole income is music at time when they're about to have an extra child to provide for is "probably better for you" is just beyond me. Properly annoyed!

It [i]is [/i]very annoying, but the general consensus is that if you have kids to look after then that is going to take up lots of your time and attention (which is true) and in this case mean that you won't be able to commit yourself properly to the task of being a bass player (which is false). IMHO this is o[size=4]n a par with those bosses who try not to employ women because of 'time of the month' issues and the fact that they will want maternity leave if they have a baby...[/size]

Edited by discreet

To be honest, I don't find that situation particularly rant worthy. When I read the title, I thought that they must have cancelled you at the last minute.
Basically they asked you, you agreed but warned of potential time/commitment issues, and then someone else came along who knew the material already and presumably doesn't have a child on the way. They decided to go with that chap, and let you know within two days of the initial conversation. All seems pretty reasonable to me.

Saying that, the "we were doing you a favour" thing is face-saving nonsense. It's a shame, as you have proved your reliability to them in the past, but I wouldn't hold it against them. Also, is the other chap doing music for a living? If not, maybe he's cheaper

Edited by Roland Rock

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1378636890' post='2202576']
Felt like venting - a guy I worked with before I left the day job and went full time muso booked me a couple of days ago to dep for his covers band in October. The last dep I did for them I learned 2x60s on the day, nailed the gig with no rehearsal (or soundcheck) and was offered the full time spot in the band but had to decline due to other commitments.

Told him I'm not sure when/if I'd be able to practice with them as my son is due to be born in the next week or two but said I'd try and squeeze one in. Got a text today saying "Your services won't be required, but cheers anyway and we'll keep you in mind in future".

I know his regular player is out with his other band that night so I politely enquired what was up and apparently their old bassist "wanted to do it and knows the songs" and he thought he was doing me a favour with the baby being due.

Am I wrong to be well pissed off? It wasn't even a great payer but I knocked back another booking yesterday because I had these guys in the diary. Once the baby gets here I need all the work I can get because the missus is only on maternity pay. The old bassist who is now doing it is the guy they wanted me to replace and was, by their account, unreliable and not much cop as a player.

How anyone thinks taking a gig off a guy whose sole income is music at time when they're about to have an extra child to provide for is "probably better for you" is just beyond me. Properly annoyed!
[/quote]

If it were me I would happily blow out a dep who couldn't rehearse over someone who could. Your essentially saying that you cant make time for them yet expect them to hold the gig open for you - totally unreasonable attitude IMO. The world doesnt owe you living just because youve got a sprog on the way, its your choice, and if that choice means affects your ability to meet the expectations of someone paying you then they will (quite reasonably) go elsewhere.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1378647534' post='2202726']
Bill them, unless you think it will blow any work with them in the future
[/quote]Unless you actually have a contract, all that will do is p*** them off so that they don't use you in future and get you a reputation for being unreasonable! Best to write this on off as 'one of those things' and move on...

If this was me I would have got in touch to let them know how (in a polite, roundabout way) that they'd wasted my time, had acted less then professionally and had financially inconvenienced a soon to be father. You could invoice them but I doubt you'd get your money and to be perfectly honest I'm not sure it would be the right approach should you want to keep your options open for future dep work (if you're relying on the money that is).

Again, personally if it was me they'd get crossed off of my dep list. I'm not up for being that badly inconvenienced.

I've depped for them before with no rehearsal, played a solid gig and was offered the full time spot in the band off the back of it. I'd said a firm yes to the gig. The only bit I hadn't committed too was rehearsing. They mentioned coming to a rehearsal "if you're free" which I said I'd do my best to be nearer to the date.

Just thought it was poor form to agree it and then pull out, and initially with no explanation. I've done plenty of deps with minimal or no rehearsal, as I'm sure many guys on here do, so didn't think it was a big issue when I've played with the band before and its a pretty standard set of indie/rock covers all done as the original versions.

Flyfisher, you're right, personal circumstances are just that - they've got no bearing on one's ability to turn up and do their job.

Probably coming across as being a bigger deal than it is but just thought it wasn't the decent thing to do and was pretty ticked off. Can appreciate peoples viewpoints who don't agree, everyone works in different ways, but if I'd booked and confirmed a dep who I had worked with before I wouldn't pull the rug out because they couldn't instantly commit a rehearsal date when its debatable that one is even required.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1378658383' post='2202873']
Unless you actually have a contract, all that will do is p*** them off so that they don't use you in future and get you a reputation for being unreasonable! Best to write this on off as 'one of those things' and move on...
[/quote]
Of course, you aren't going to bet one night against many...but in the world of deps, you pay once booked, IMO.
If this is how they handle deps who dig them out of a hole, then they are the ones you don't want to work with again anyway.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1378665361' post='2202994']
I've depped for them before with no rehearsal, played a solid gig and was offered the full time spot in the band off the back of it. I'd said a firm yes to the gig. The only bit I hadn't committed too was rehearsing. They mentioned coming to a rehearsal "if you're free" which I said I'd do my best to be nearer to the date.

Just thought it was poor form to agree it and then pull out, and initially with no explanation. I've done plenty of deps with minimal or no rehearsal, as I'm sure many guys on here do, so didn't think it was a big issue when I've played with the band before and its a pretty standard set of indie/rock covers all done as the original versions.

Flyfisher, you're right, personal circumstances are just that - they've got no bearing on one's ability to turn up and do their job.

Probably coming across as being a bigger deal than it is but just thought it wasn't the decent thing to do and was pretty ticked off. Can appreciate peoples viewpoints who don't agree, everyone works in different ways, but if I'd booked and confirmed a dep who I had worked with before I wouldn't pull the rug out because they couldn't instantly commit a rehearsal date when its debatable that one is even required.
[/quote]

Ok. I never try to overanalyse these things. Sometimes the reason they give you isn't the real reason, sometimes it is. They used someone else and didn't give you much notice. They may not use them again and come back to you and ask you again, they may stick with the other guy.

Often it has nothing to do with your musical ability, it's just how you fit in the band verses how someone else fits.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1378641926' post='2202637']
If it were me I would happily blow out a dep who couldn't rehearse over someone who could. Your essentially saying that you cant make time for them yet expect them to hold the gig open for you - totally unreasonable attitude IMO. The world doesnt owe you living just because youve got a sprog on the way, its your choice, and if that choice means affects your ability to meet the expectations of someone paying you then they will (quite reasonably) go elsewhere.
[/quote]

I've done dozens of gigs all over the country for people with no rehearsal, sometimes I've turned up knowing some of the songs better than the band I'm working for.

This guy's played with them before, so I'm sure he's capable of doing so again with no rehearsal.

I think the problem is the guy starting the thread is doing it for a living, the band are just doing it for a laugh/fun/extra money/cos they enjoy it, they don't appreciate that the guy is making his living doing it, and may have turned other work down 'cos he's got their gig in his diary.

He's the pro, they're not and have acted (in my opinion) in a very amateur way.