Why become a member? ×

Berg HD112 v Berg CN112

fretmeister

I have a pair of Berg HD112 cabs

They are very good, but still on the heavy side for a 1x12, and I often have to carry them in places where wheels are not an option. Lots of stairs and narrow walkways.

So I'm thinking about changing them for the new lightweight CN112.

Has anyone played both and compared them? The HD sounds very good indeed and if the CN is effectively the same with 16lb less per cab then I will go for it when I have some more cash.

But if they are very different sounding then I'll have to think of something else.

Any thoughts from CN112 users?

I've got a CN212 and love it. I've played through the HD212 in the dim and distant past at BassDirect but if I'm being really honest, as I wasn't looking to purchase a cab at the time, don't remember that much detail about it other than it sounding fantastic.

When I brought my cab, I seem to remember Mark saying that the CN was a really great match with the GB Streamliner as it had a little more presence in the mids but the bottom was a little tighter compared to the previous HDs.

TBH, I could be wrong as it was months ago and I've been to sleep several times in the meantime ;-)

Maybe give Mark a call to see what his views are?

T

They definitely sound different. BassGear had both in at the same time and I had a brief blast on each - decided I needed to have more time with the HD's but they sold within about 24 hours of arriving :(

I am reliably informed I'll be able to try them again later this week :)

Quite looking forward to hearing the HD210's as well. I'm currently using the AE210 so it'll be really interesting to see how the HD sounds up against it.

However, I have to admit that the one I'm really excited about hearing is the new NV15. I've always liked three way cabs and have had good results from both SWR and Ampeg in the past. A Berg should really outperform both of these.

I think I'm on 'emergency cover' duties on Saturday so may well be locking the doors and hiding myself away in the amp and cab demo room. . .

Cn cabs are brighter in the upper mids and less full in the low mids than the hd cabs so they don't hit quite as hard but do stand out a little more in a band mix.
My Hd210 is amazing for the size, lots more volume than the 112, I would love to go back the Ae 212 personally although not complaining about what I have!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1378463137' post='2200604']
I have a pair of Berg HD112 cabs....

...So I'm thinking about changing them for the new lightweight CN112.
[/quote]

I'm after a pair of HD112's to give my rig a nice bit of flexibility.

If you do decide to make the change then drop me a message and, if I'm in a suitable financial position, I'll rehome them for you.

Cheers :)

[quote name='Iana' timestamp='1378839765' post='2205455']
Cn cabs are brighter in the upper mids and less full in the low mids than the hd cabs so they don't hit quite as hard but do stand out a little more in a band mix.
[/quote]

In a Schroedery kind of way?

I thought the CN112 were quite smooth and 'NEO'..although I know people don't like to hear about a typical NEO sound, but they
have that dryness in hi-mids that all the NEO's I've used have.
Not as sterile as the AE112, ( not saying that is very bad ) so I would suggest they are a decent upgrade.but maybe not enough if you already have AE's...

The CN112's seem to pair with a TH very well to my ears and if I were looking for a amp/cab combo, that is where I would start