Why become a member? ×

Tendonitis

cocco

Had a scary moment today. I'm suffering from a little tendonitis recently and I noticed the pain was pretty bad playing the blues scale (my go to scale) on the first 5 positions of my P-bass.

Anyone else suffer from tendonitis?

It's not as if I can even change my technique to help.

Would playing a short scale bass help?

I'm really worried about this.

Help!

Edited by cocco

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1377806575' post='2192236']
[/quote]

Why not ? Perhaps your technique is the cause of this problem. As a matter of curiosity, do you use the "one finger per fret" on frets 1-5 ? If so, this could be a possible reason for your problem. Tendonitis can take quite a while to manifest itself.

My advice FWIW....do as "ray against the machine" says, i.e see a chiropractor /physio, and rest up for a while. When you get the OK to play again, revisit your technique.

Hope you are back to painless playing soon. :)

Bear in mind that this may not be bass related, but that playing the bass aggravates the issue.

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1377812315' post='2192376']
Think I might try acupuncture actually. It's the only thing barring steroid injection or surgery that I've not tried.
[/quote]
Save your money. I'm sure you can find other imaginary treatments for free that would be just as effective.

Couple of threads on this previously so search around. I would add to the above: [list]
[*]Methodical posture and bass position - avoid sharp wrist angles
[*]Hydration - have a bottle of water on the go pretty much all day
[*]Cod liver oil & Glucosamine
[/list]
Agree with formal medical diagnosis although this can be a tortuous process if mis-diagnosed.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1377885667' post='2193298']
Save your money. I'm sure you can find other imaginary treatments for free that would be just as effective.
[/quote]

King bollocks. 90% of my bass playing (a percentage that increases annually) is testament to the fact that it worked for me.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1377888213' post='2193345']

King bollocks. 90% of my bass playing (a percentage that increases annually) is testament to the fact that it worked for me.
[/quote]
I didn't say it wouldn't work, there's a very well recognised mechanism behind the way it works when it does. But there are other, cheaper/free, treatments that work using the same mechanism.

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1377806575' post='2192236']
Had a scary moment today. I'm suffering from a little tendonitis recently and I noticed the pain was pretty bad playing the blues scale (my go to scale) on the first 5 positions of my P-bass.

Anyone else suffer from tendonitis?

Would playing a short scale bass help?

I'm really worried about this.

Help!
[/quote]

I have arthritis in my knuckles in both hands and even considered changing to play left handed to minimise the effects (was a bad idea). I tried all sorts and found that changing to a short scale actually made it worse if anything for me but moving the strap up a couple of notches on my jazz bass gave the most improvement (although i felt like a prat at the time). I also found a medium scale aria from the 80s and changing to pick playing which really helped. The strap button position meant that the neck it was slightly closer to my body that my jazz bass plus the medium (32") scale meant that i could still play the scale in one position and made i much more comfortable. The medium scale is not as bass boomy as a full scale so i went to flatwounds to add extra bass in and to take away some of the brightness from playing with a pick.
Took me over 5 years to work all this out but now i can play a home and rehearsal without too much problem but i do suffer the day after a gig.

Edited by randythoades