Why become a member? ×

NBD: 1955 on a budget

Cat Burrito

Having not bought anything in about 3 years but majorly downsized I felt my 2 remaining basses were too high value to 1) have one sitting around when the other is in use & 2) take to some of the venues I play, so I decided to get a Squier CV bass as they have such a great reputation and sell one of the Fenders. One of the casualties of my huge bass cull was a 51RI that I'd customised with a white pickguard and ashtrays. It will always be the one I'd regret if life wasn't so short. Anyhow I figured the same bass could be recreated with a new Squier and have the added advantage of a cutaway that the 51 didn't. I checked out a few Gene Vincent & his Blue Caps pictures to get it as authentic as I could.

Technically the new bass day was last month but I had to wait for parts to do this. Off came the roundwounds, on when the flats... A couple of ashtrays, a white pickguard and an old school single hole thumb rest and we're there. Not bad for a cheapie. Sounds so good I think I'll keep the stock pickup which is unusual for me with a modern bass. Anyway, here's the pics...

[attachment=142543:Squier.jpg]

[attachment=142544:Squier2.jpg]

Looks very smart, I remember trying one of these out last year and it was very impressive and resonant, great value.
I was watching a Youtube clip earlier this week of Eddie Cochran and band playing live, the bassist comes across very well considering he seems to be playing through a 50 watt 4x10 bassman. It's a contoured body single coil P-bass of course. I think the Blue caps are on the same bill, also on youtube.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='bh2' timestamp='1382290679' post='2250197']
How are you getting on with it?
[/quote]

Superb. I'm playing it more than any other instrument right now (upright bass aside) to the extent that I am thinking of getting rid of my USA Fender P bass. The stock pickup was the big surprise as I bought it figuring it would be the first thing to go. It sounds great, is very playable and is just great fun.